Squad v Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Squad v Wakefield

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:35 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Pretty much sums the game up Hastings is excellent and is growing into the fullback roll he is class and will be missed badly when he goes.

How worrying though there was such a small crowd not just for Wigan but the sport in general as I suspected there wasn’t a March back to house full boards but virtually no increase it seems on the restrictions.

Going to be a long way back for the sport
It was of course Clubb not Isa who gave the daft penalty away for pushing the kicker. Might have to join moto at specsavers. He might cop another ban for that given the way the disciplinary is going these days.

Mind you he should be joined by a few Wakefield players. At least two shots and how the touch judge missed the punch on the Wigan player on the deck I don’t know. If the video caught that the Wakey player is going to miss a few games.
The penalty against Clubb was ridiculous, the sport has gone soft.
There was nothing in it but it was a deliberate push so was asking to be penalised. Stupid play and as I said with the way the disciplinary works these days he might even get a ban, which would be ridiculous but then it wouldn’t surprise me.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:On the upside, this is a game where I won't mind watching the full game back again (some recent performances have been too painful for that).

But really, if

“ I thought that first 60 minutes was as good as we have been this year," Lam said.

is true (and it might be), isn't that, as they used to say, a scathing indictment?

I don't know whether it was a punch (far side of the field), but I remember there was what looked like a cheap shot on the floor; you'd think the disciplinary would have a look at that.
Defensively he’d be possibly right but not on attack. It was Hastings individual play that unlocked their defence with some great passes. Nine nill at half time was another poor return.

The first 15 minutes of the second half was much better attack-wise. There was a lot more urgency about it. If I wanted to describe describe the first half attack in one word it would be ponderous.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:00 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:40 pm That Bibby Is as naff as the vocal minority say.
Best game for Wigan tonight.
Should get in the team for the tattoo at least. 😅
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I wasn't able to go last night because I've been a bit under the weather (non covid) this week. However, I'm off on a family holiday next week and I wasn't going to go to the game anyway because the risk of catching covid now the bars are open and there's no distancing was too high to mess up a long planned trip with a self isolation. I think there were more on before the restrictions were lifted, so perhaps a lifting of some of the safety restrictions combined with the school holidays starting is making people wary about ruining plans by attending a mass event?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:12 am I wasn't able to go last night because I've been a bit under the weather (non covid) this week. However, I'm off on a family holiday next week and I wasn't going to go to the game anyway because the risk of catching covid now the bars are open and there's no distancing was too high to mess up a long planned trip with a self isolation. I think there were more on before the restrictions were lifted, so perhaps a lifting of some of the safety restrictions combined with the school holidays starting is making people wary about ruining plans by attending a mass event?
We said the same on the way home,I accept there’s holidays etc but that was a shocking crowd number for the sport not just Wigan I think you’re right people are a lot more wary it seems about this sort of event coupled with the threat of COVID and the government coming up with more new rules than dua lipa
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:15 pm
Firestarter wrote:Sounded like hastings did all the creating
He did. 6,7 & 9 didn't offer much particularly in the first half.

Hastings was the best player on the pitch by a mile.

Overall the final score flattered Wakefield. The ref more or less marched them up the pitch for their tries though I think it was Isa who gave stupid penalty away but I can't remember if that gave the position to score.

Wigan's defence was outstanding but in the first half it felt like Déjà vu. Unable to score enough points despite pressure but then Hastings popped up with some great play and Bibby finished very well for his tries.

Faz pretending to be a half back with his grubber kick for Shorrocks try was probably the moment of the match.

Overall much more enjoyable to watch than recent performances and no major hold ups on the way home!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Cheers davo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

In contact to DaveOs view above I don't think that Hasting did do everything last night. Smith and TL did plenty and lead the team in attack, this allowed Hastings to inject himself at key points and when he did it came off.

Alot different to when he first started at FB where he was trying to do everything and because of that nothing really came off.

Powell was alot quicker this week (the entire team was) but with the lack of Hastings in the halves and French/Field/hardaker out it highlights he is brilliant in defense but average in attack. I did feel that him coming off allowed Wakefield to get a bit of a roll on in the last 15 down the middle.

Shorrocks had a great game the try was a justified icing on the cake and out the young forwards I'd say he has improved the most.

Isa is a machine and while he did shoot out of the line at the wrong time at one point his intensity doesn't drop. There was a point where he didn't collect a pass (debatable if it was a bad pass or isa over ran) but he the proceeded to tackle the next 3 Wakefield plays in seconds massively reducing any meters they might of gained.

I can really judge clubs performance as I barely noticed him on the pitch apart from when he was protecting you young forwards for Wakefield bullying tactics (I expected club and fafita to have a fight.)

Farrel was Farrel, the only mistake I saw him make wasn't a mistake but Wakefield stripping the ball in a 2 man tackle (blatantly as well) he ran hard lines and as above his kick through for the try was brilliant to watch.

Plenty more but time to go out now.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I agree with a lot of that, Caboose. After a live game I generally suspend too much judgement until I've seen it back, but i did think Tommy seemed much better and more involved last night that recently, notwithstanding all the (justified) criticism he has had lately. Powell was a bit livelier too, it seemed to me.

I am a bit of a fan of Shorrocks. I said way back when, in his Academy days, that I reckoned he had more of a future at Wigan than his namesake (then a first team player), and so it proved. He has improved, and puts in a hell of a shift every week. An assist last week, and a try this week, well deserved. And it's pretty clear that Lam sees him as important to the team.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I think we’ll appreciate Shorrocks a lot more as and when he’s doing 80 minutes at loose forward. He’s growing in confidence and even playing 40-50 minutes, he’s racking up big numbers in terms of tackling. He’s making more ground with the ball now and he’s skilful and can link the play. I think he’ll develop in to a really good player in time.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

I’m with you both on the Shorrocks view, he has the same attitude and mindset as Partington and Smithies but his skill set is better, his distribution is good and he’s got a good step on him when he runs with the ball