Squad v Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Squad v Wakefield

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:14 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:28 am
Mike wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:12 am I wasn't able to go last night because I've been a bit under the weather (non covid) this week. However, I'm off on a family holiday next week and I wasn't going to go to the game anyway because the risk of catching covid now the bars are open and there's no distancing was too high to mess up a long planned trip with a self isolation. I think there were more on before the restrictions were lifted, so perhaps a lifting of some of the safety restrictions combined with the school holidays starting is making people wary about ruining plans by attending a mass event?
We said the same on the way home,I accept there’s holidays etc but that was a shocking crowd number for the sport not just Wigan I think you’re right people are a lot more wary it seems about this sort of event coupled with the threat of COVID and the government coming up with more new rules than dua lipa
I thought the crowd was underestimated. We have 6,000 season ticket holders and there will also be some walk-ups.
Can only go off what Wigan,who should know how many people are in the ground,reported at games end,the sport is in huge trouble if that continues
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:10 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:28 am

We said the same on the way home,I accept there’s holidays etc but that was a shocking crowd number for the sport not just Wigan I think you’re right people are a lot more wary it seems about this sort of event coupled with the threat of COVID and the government coming up with more new rules than dua lipa
I thought the crowd was underestimated. We have 6,000 season ticket holders and there will also be some walk-ups.
Can only go off what Wigan,who should know how many people are in the ground,reported at games end,the sport is in huge trouble if that continues
I agree but I am not sure that figure is accurate.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:24 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:10 pm

I agree but I am not sure that figure is accurate.
Oddly enough I was surprised at how many they did say thought the figure was less given large parts of the east stand had parts of it covered up.

Either way the sport is in trouble and that should be an eye opener for the high ups across the sport not just Wigan because even allowing,more so given the fact it’s not as easy to jet away on holiday at the moment,it’s going to be an uphill slog I fear to even get back to anywhere near tge 10k of a couple of years ago.

Even if they have 6k season ticket holders which I doubt you’d think they could have filled the restricted stadium up with home fans with no away fans needed that as we know didn’t happen and it’s the same story across the sport,it’s worrying
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Give it time….. things will get back to normal…… only problem i have is stupid rules and feigning players that is starting to spoil our game……. Im not going to lie( our game does need changes) im just not 100% sure what
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Leeds had around 11,000 on v Salford same evening for context !
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Nezza Faz wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:34 pm Leeds had around 11,000 on v Salford same evening for context !

Population Leeds 833,000
Wigan 340,000(including Leigh)
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:42 pm only problem i have is stupid rules
Which stupid rules in particular?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The new rules on Ball Steal, which should never have been changed and are to be changed back for 2022.

We will have to wait to find out about scrums and set restarts. This will depend I'd think on Covid and its effect going into 2022.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I like the idea of scrums for knock-ons only, and just a p-t-b restart for ball out of play. It has the added benefit of slightly discouraging the rather negative tactics of kicking the ball out of play. There is surely no logic to stopping scrums on covid grounds.

I don't have strong feeling s about the ball-steal one way of another. It seems to a bit of a stretch to claim it's ruining your enjoyment of the sport.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:08 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:42 pm only problem i have is stupid rules
Which stupid rules in particular?
Well for one the purposelessly giving away 6 again to gain an advantage….. this is creeping in more and more….. especially in aus , which we will follow
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE