Squad v Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Squad v Wakefield

Post by Firestarter »

Also the volontary tackle to escape dropping out under the sticks
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

A lot of these things, though, like the voluntary tackle thing, have been with us a long time; when was the last time you saw someone pinged for it? It just doesn't happen in the modern game. And it's no different in Australia. Same with scrums; contested scrums were decades ago, the sport has moved on, the game has to look forwards, not backwards. I'd prefer to keep scrums for knock-ons, though.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

moto748 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:47 pm I like the idea of scrums for knock-ons only, and just a p-t-b restart for ball out of play. It has the added benefit of slightly discouraging the rather negative tactics of kicking the ball out of play. There is surely no logic to stopping scrums on covid grounds.

I don't have strong feeling s about the ball-steal one way of another. It seems to a bit of a stretch to claim it's ruining your enjoyment of the sport.
I'm not a fan of the current ball steal rule, since watching the defence put players in some awkward positions in tackles to allow the ball to be ripped easily.

I have no issue with a pure 1 on 1 strip but allowing 3 defenders to position the attacker then for 2 to drop off is not exciting to watch
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Glad that ball-steal rule is being got rid of. Not a fan of more rules but although the set-restart makes lots of sense, I'd make it a penalty if it occurs on the first tackle. At the moment, teams have a 'free hit' on that first one.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

moto748 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:22 am A lot of these things, though, like the voluntary tackle thing, have been with us a long time; when was the last time you saw someone pinged for it? It just doesn't happen in the modern game. And it's no different in Australia. Same with scrums; contested scrums were decades ago, the sport has moved on, the game has to look forwards, not backwards. I'd prefer to keep scrums for knock-ons, though.
Colin Whitfield at Burnden Park, probably a cup semi? The only time I can remember, though I've heard plenty appeals from the terraces!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I watched the game back last night. I often find it interesting to watch later after I've seen the game live, to compare to my impression in real time at the match and listen to what Joe and Bilko make of it. Certainly a fair improvement on recent weeks, but let's be right, that is a very low bar. Our young forwards are coming on well, and we weren't too inconvenienced by the likes of Fafita. Hastings deserves a lot of credit for working hard in an unfamiliar role, and inserted himself into the attack with great effect, which Bibby and Marshall finished off well. But again a case of having field position dominance, without really turning it into points.
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

Shouldn't this be on a different thread..?
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Stanfax wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:31 pm Shouldn't this be on a different thread..?
Touche :)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Stanfax wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:31 pm Shouldn't this be on a different thread..?
Sincere apologies my error fixed it now 😳
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

:D