Squad v Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cherry toffee

Re: Squad v Wakefield

Post by cherry toffee »

Looks like we’ve got a tough decision to make in regard to the back three, Farrell, Bateman and Isa bring experience KPP, Shorrocks and Smithies are the future but under the cap someone has to go. For me although he’s done a good job for us it has to be the one with the least shelf life which is Isa, we’ve lost enough young talent to the NRL without pushing someone their way
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:54 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:38 pm I think we’ll appreciate Shorrocks a lot more as and when he’s doing 80 minutes at loose forward. He’s growing in confidence and even playing 40-50 minutes, he’s racking up big numbers in terms of tackling. He’s making more ground with the ball now and he’s skilful and can link the play. I think he’ll develop in to a really good player in time.
I concur, I have been saying the same thing all season.

Me too 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:28 am
Mike wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:12 am I wasn't able to go last night because I've been a bit under the weather (non covid) this week. However, I'm off on a family holiday next week and I wasn't going to go to the game anyway because the risk of catching covid now the bars are open and there's no distancing was too high to mess up a long planned trip with a self isolation. I think there were more on before the restrictions were lifted, so perhaps a lifting of some of the safety restrictions combined with the school holidays starting is making people wary about ruining plans by attending a mass event?
We said the same on the way home,I accept there’s holidays etc but that was a shocking crowd number for the sport not just Wigan I think you’re right people are a lot more wary it seems about this sort of event coupled with the threat of COVID and the government coming up with more new rules than dua lipa
I thought the crowd was underestimated. We have 6,000 season ticket holders and there will also be some walk-ups.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

If it had been on a sunday we would have got more
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

We need to swap Willie and kpp positions,I feel that kpp will develope into a top centre for next season.try him against Warrington.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Suzieb wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:34 am We need to swap Willie and kpp positions,I feel that kpp will develope into a top centre for next season.try him against Warrington.
Agreed. I think he will eventually be a top-class second-rower (he's pretty good now) but he may just offer us more as a centre at the moment. He should also be quick enough to cover for Isa when he jumps out of the line and misses his tackle. Also good to cover for Bibby if a high ball comes along.
The best prospect around at the moment. Let's hope someone in the club is working out to improve him in the coming seasons as they need to with our other forwards whose progress seems to have stalled - Shorrocks excepting.

That could mean JB to loose-forward which might be the spark he needs.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

I’m not sure JB was that bad before getting injured, just that there may have been too much on his shoulders in a struggling pack - I’m also of the opinion he’s a much better 2nd row and leave him to do what is natural to him - that said it’s not a bad problem trying to fit him in a loose forward!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

agree with the above apart from ide leave batty at right centre…… i just think he needed a rest which he now has
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:I agree with a lot of that, Caboose. After a live game I generally suspend too much judgement until I've seen it back, but i did think Tommy seemed much better and more involved last night that recently, notwithstanding all the (justified) criticism he has had lately. Powell was a bit livelier too, it seemed to me.

I am a bit of a fan of Shorrocks. I said way back when, in his Academy days, that I reckoned he had more of a future at Wigan than his namesake (then a first team player), and so it proved. He has improved, and puts in a hell of a shift every week. An assist last week, and a try this week, well deserved. And it's pretty clear that Lam sees him as important to the team.
I don’t think TL and Smith did anything different than they have been doing and the difference was Hastings who didn’t try and do everything himself but concentrated on being a full back so injected himself into attack as you’d expect a full back to do.

As to Powell he’s not good enough for SL never mind Wigan and i wish the club would not renew his contract. He summed himself up for me right at the start of the game when we attacked down the right and he was acting half back, took the ball from the PTP on the right wing, dummied right of all things which was idiotic and got scragged by the Wakefield defender as a result who ran around our player who had just played the ball back.

The usual excuses about us not being able to afford a top player in every position are negated by the fact we have two young hookers who I’d rather see interchanging than watch Powell slow every attack down.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:10 pm
moto748 wrote:I agree with a lot of that, Caboose. After a live game I generally suspend too much judgement until I've seen it back, but i did think Tommy seemed much better and more involved last night that recently, notwithstanding all the (justified) criticism he has had lately. Powell was a bit livelier too, it seemed to me.

I am a bit of a fan of Shorrocks. I said way back when, in his Academy days, that I reckoned he had more of a future at Wigan than his namesake (then a first team player), and so it proved. He has improved, and puts in a hell of a shift every week. An assist last week, and a try this week, well deserved. And it's pretty clear that Lam sees him as important to the team.
I don’t think TL and Smith did anything different than they have been doing and the difference was Hastings who didn’t try and do everything himself but concentrated on being a full back so injected himself into attack as you’d expect a full back to do.

As to Powell he’s not good enough for SL never mind Wigan and i wish the club would not renew his contract. He summed himself up for me right at the start of the game when we attacked down the right and he was acting half back, took the ball from the PTP on the right wing, dummied right of all things which was idiotic and got scragged by the Wakefield defender as a result who ran around our player who had just played the ball back.

The usual excuses about us not being able to afford a top player in every position are negated by the fact we have two young hookers who I’d rather see interchanging than watch Powell slow every attack down.
So it's fair to say that you're not a fan of Sam P, Dave? :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐