In focus: Patrick Mago

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

In focus: Patrick Mago

Post by josie andrews »

Get to know new signing Patrick Mago.

NRL forward to move to Wigan in 2022.

Mago has signed for the Warriors on a two-year contract, with the option of a third year.

After it was announced earlier in the week that South Sydney Rabbitohs prop Patrick Mago will join Wigan Warriors in 2022, we take an in-depth look at his career so far…

The 26-year-old has put pen to paper on a two-year contract and will remain with Wigan until at least the end of the 2023 season, with the option of a third year.

Born in Otahuhu, New Zealand, Mago is of Samoan descent and moved to Australia at a young age.

After living in Sydney, Mago grew up in Logan City in Queensland and played his junior Rugby League for Souths Logan Magpies before signing with the Canberra Raiders.

Moving to Canberra in 2012, the 6ft 2 forward played for the S.G. Ball Cup side. A year later, he moved up to Canberra’s National Youth Competition side and at the end of the season he represented the Junior Kangaroos – scoring twice in a win over the Junior Kiwis.

In 2014, Mago captained the Raiders’ NYC team and was chosen to represent the Queensland Under-20 and Junior Kangaroos sides.

After progressing into Canberra’s NRL squad in 2015, he spent most of the season playing for their feed club, Mounties, in the New South Wales Cup.

In 2016, Mago earned a two-year contract with North Queensland after spending pre-season with the Cowboys. After spending the season playing for their feeder club, Mackay Cutters in the Queensland Cup, and then the start of 2017 with the Northern Pride, Mago finally earned his NRL break in Round 23 when he made his first-grade debut for North Queensland against Penrith.

That October, he signed for Brisbane Broncos and went on to make 12 NRL appearances in 2018.

Last year, Mago joined South Sydney and played 12 games in the NRL season. He has made 33 appearances in the NRL to date, including seven in 2021, and has lost just three of the 19 for the Rabbitohs.

On joining Wigan in 2022, Mago said: “I’m very much looking forward to this opportunity at the biggest and best club in Super League. I cannot wait for the first time I pull on the jersey and give my all for the fans and this great Club.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/07/ ... rick-mago/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan