Squad v Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Squad v Warrington

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:00 pm
DaveO wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:48 am
bertina wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:40 am
so based on that, it might not be Lam that is persisting with Tommy at half, Powell at hooker, and Hastings at full back.
If not, then a lot of the stick he is getting is unwarranted. And an even bigger worry is, who is making these decisions. ? If it is Shaun Wane, then I really fear for what happens next season.
Any interference is unacceptable and Lam is doing himself no favours by accepting it. A coach is job where the buck stops so to have no control of who plays where is no on. Lam should pluck up the courage to leave if this is the case.

Easy to say of course as he'd be out of a job but he will struggle to get another if he keeps accepting this sort of thing and these sorts of performances are the result.
I'm sorry I don't believe it's not Lam making these decisions, his selections follow the same theme as last year and we know how much Wane likes sticking youngsters in so we would have seen Hanley at fb by now.
I am sceptical about the claim as well as indicated in my first post on the matter but I am not going to repeat it every time I post on the subject. I really don't know what he's playing at whether he's making the selections or being told where players have got to play or not. Bringing a player on five minutes from time for example. :?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Bringing a player on with 5 to go at Wire was not the first time. He did it v HKR at our place with Singleton and at Wakey with Bullock. We needed big experienced forwards out there and our sub props were Byrne and Havard. So what happened to either or both Bullock and Clark?
Lam expected the pack to play Wire at their place with a man short and win? Really?
Why does he do this?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Re bringing Bourouh on with 5 minutes to go: the obvious explanation seems to have been overlooked, surely?

"The game's lost, give him a taste of playing with the big boys, nowt to lose."
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:23 pm Re bringing Bourouh on with 5 minutes to go: the obvious explanation seems to have been overlooked, surely?

The reason was Powell was injured.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:23 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:23 pm Re bringing Bourouh on with 5 minutes to go: the obvious explanation seems to have been overlooked, surely?

thats even worse, so in effect if Powell wasnt injured Borough woudlnt have got on so played with 16
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

pedro wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:24 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:23 pm

thats even worse, so in effect if Powell wasnt injured Borough woudlnt have got on so played with 16
Probably.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Whoever thinks resigning Powell is a good idea needs a check up from the neck up. 3 carries for 11m, I could make more yards on 1 leg, Daryl Clarke on the other hand was 9 carries for 111m. How can anyone think that’s acceptable? Amir Bourogh was on for all of about 5 minutes and made 2 carries for 18m!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

w.thomas wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:47 pm Whoever thinks resigning Powell is a good idea needs a check up from the neck up. 3 carries for 11m, I could make more yards on 1 leg, Daryl Clarke on the other hand was 9 carries for 111m. How can anyone think that’s acceptable? Amir Bourogh was on for all of about 5 minutes and made 2 carries for 18m!
This what happens at Wigan. After you’ve been at the club for such a long time, you become abit furniture that you can’t part with.
Examples Tommy, lockers, Clubb
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Barney841 wrote:
w.thomas wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:47 pm Whoever thinks resigning Powell is a good idea needs a check up from the neck up. 3 carries for 11m, I could make more yards on 1 leg, Daryl Clarke on the other hand was 9 carries for 111m. How can anyone think that’s acceptable? Amir Bourogh was on for all of about 5 minutes and made 2 carries for 18m!
This what happens at Wigan. After you’ve been at the club for such a long time, you become abit furniture that you can’t part with.
Exactly. Default position - give existing players a new deal and don’t bother trying to improve by signing a better player.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:08 pm
Barney841 wrote:
Exactly. Default position - give existing players a new deal and don’t bother trying to improve by signing a better player.
Yet micky Mack moved on, Lee mossop was moved on, flower was moved on, he'll budgie Was moved on due to form.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.