Squad v Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Great grandad Harry ball

Re: Squad v Warrington

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

Most referees are utterly dismissive, they are always right, but watching Sky last night allowed me to overhear some of the comments that he was making, trying to be 'mates' as opposed to be officiating - including a comment that he was off to France in the morning. Hicks is due to be touch-judge at Catalans tonight and is due to referee on Sunday (involving Catalans).
From the virtual 100% condemnation of the Marshall incident, let alone the rest of the match (how many very soft 6 agains did he give to Warrington) both the referee and touch-judge (who was next to the incident- let alone the push on Hastings who Ratchford 'tried' to claim he didn't touch) should be stood down until a statement is made by the RL as to whatever 'get out of jail' explanation is made, whilst this incident is fully investigated.
Is it any wonder that the game is losing fans, when incidents like this aren't referred, yet other 'incidents' are replayed and referred over and over again??
Whilst I would agree that Price (Warrington coach) is correct and saying play to the whistle, the gamesmanship of Mano should also be referred, 99.9% of players would have stopped (as did Isa when Philbin went down), particularly as it was plain that Marshall was holding his head - please don't tell me he didn't know - the fisticuffs that he got involved with towards the end of the game was entirely due to the Marshall incident, and the gestures to the crowd (blowing kisses etc) should result in at least a referral to disciplinary for incitement.
Having said all that, a pig has just flown past.
Last edited by Great grandad Harry ball on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:23 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:55 am
Dan2266 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:41 am

Lets just say he is, but he is being pointed in a certain direction. Thats all I will say 😬
If that's the case he has even less idea than lam. And we are seriously as a club in trouble and in desperate need of complete management clear out.
Its not as deep as that. Its “ Player A” has to play in “position X” that is the only thing Im aware of that is out of Lams control. Josie may know more than me though.
so based on that, it might not be Lam that is persisting with Tommy at half, Powell at hooker, and Hastings at full back.
If not, then a lot of the stick he is getting is unwarranted. And an even bigger worry is, who is making these decisions. ? If it is Shaun Wane, then I really fear for what happens next season.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bertina wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:40 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:55 am

If that's the case he has even less idea than lam. And we are seriously as a club in trouble and in desperate need of complete management clear out.
Its not as deep as that. Its “ Player A” has to play in “position X” that is the only thing Im aware of that is out of Lams control. Josie may know more than me though.
so based on that, it might not be Lam that is persisting with Tommy at half, Powell at hooker, and Hastings at full back.
If not, then a lot of the stick he is getting is unwarranted. And an even bigger worry is, who is making these decisions. ? If it is Shaun Wane, then I really fear for what happens next season.
Any interference is unacceptable and Lam is doing himself no favours by accepting it. A coach is job where the buck stops so to have no control of who plays where is no on. Lam should pluck up the courage to leave if this is the case.

Easy to say of course as he'd be out of a job but he will struggle to get another if he keeps accepting this sort of thing and these sorts of performances are the result.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm finding it pretty hard to believe that Shaun Wane is insisting Hastings plays at full-back, if that is what is being suggested.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

the pieman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:49 am i listened to the game on 5 live last night as we are isolating, as both daughters have geeten covid

The commentary was very fair and blunt in regards to Wigan (and Wire to be honest)

Wilkin especially said that Wigan wont win the ruck as we dont dominate and thus the slow POB with a slow hooker means that we will rarely get a roll on, He illustrated Wire 1st try for this, Couple of good drives with quick POB to follow and Clark was through - try scored when Wigan had all the ball, possession and territory, but not doing enough with it. He also said a few times that the Wire right hand defence was weak with Ratchford, Mamo and Charnley who all have defensive faults in them, so why do we not target that?

They also focussed on Hastings at fullback, and pretty much said he is wasted at FB, but effectively still our best attacking option.

listening it just seemed a carbon copy of the majority of the season. We all know that the attack isnt working well, and despite seemlingly dominating went in at half time behind because of that. Wire were really there for the taking last night and it was a massive fail not to put them away imo
We consistently took the ball to the right edge, that is where we scored our two tries.

Regarding the Clark break, we had two players on the wrong side of the ruck, if ever there was a time to concede six again that was it.

Hastings was our best attacking option but Wilkin is correct he isn’t a fullback, his positional play is very poor.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:48 am
bertina wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:40 am

Any interference is unacceptable and Lam is doing himself no favours by accepting it. A coach is job where the buck stops so to have no control of who plays where is no on. Lam should pluck up the courage to leave if this is the case.

Easy to say of course as he'd be out of a job but he will struggle to get another if he keeps accepting this sort of thing and these sorts of performances are the result.
I'm sorry I don't believe it's not Lam making these decisions, his selections follow the same theme as last year and we know how much Wane likes sticking youngsters in so we would have seen Hanley at fb by now.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Surprised no one has said it yet. If Harry Smith is fit. He starts in the halves. Thats it. Its not Shaun Wane either

May change when Zak is back I don't know
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

If someone else is picking the team then they must have been doing it for the last two and a half years because it’s been same old bad decision making since Lam took over
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

It just seems like another let's blame the managementfor everything because they can't deny it without looking like they are giving credit.

But like how Harry and Megan ripped into the royal family knowing they wouldn't respond in kind to specific allegations but only put out a general message of we will look into it.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:29 am
the pieman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:49 am i listened to the game on 5 live last night as we are isolating, as both daughters have geeten covid

The commentary was very fair and blunt in regards to Wigan (and Wire to be honest)

Wilkin especially said that Wigan wont win the ruck as we dont dominate and thus the slow POB with a slow hooker means that we will rarely get a roll on, He illustrated Wire 1st try for this, Couple of good drives with quick POB to follow and Clark was through - try scored when Wigan had all the ball, possession and territory, but not doing enough with it. He also said a few times that the Wire right hand defence was weak with Ratchford, Mamo and Charnley who all have defensive faults in them, so why do we not target that?

They also focussed on Hastings at fullback, and pretty much said he is wasted at FB, but effectively still our best attacking option.

listening it just seemed a carbon copy of the majority of the season. We all know that the attack isnt working well, and despite seemlingly dominating went in at half time behind because of that. Wire were really there for the taking last night and it was a massive fail not to put them away imo
We didn't even really test Akuala on the wing with some testing kicks.

Really simple stuff but we are clueless.
that says a lot about us as a team at the minute, whether that be the coaching or players ability to execute a plan. i am pretty sure if we had bullock on the wing against any side (let along the better sides) he would have been peppered