Roden joins Widnes on loan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Roden joins Widnes on loan

Post by josie andrews »

Aiden Roden joins Widnes Vikings on an initial two-week loan.

Young hooker already has Betfred Championship experience after playing on loan at Whitehaven earlier this year.

Roden: “I’m excited at the prospect of getting more game time and showing everyone what I can do.”

Wigan Warriors can confirm that young hooker Aiden Roden has joined Betfred Championship club Widnes Vikings on an initial two-week loan deal.

The former Hindley ARLFC junior was part of Wigan’s Academy from 2017 up until 2019, where he became a double Under-19s Grand Final winner (in 2018 and 2019).

Blackpool born Roden represented Lancashire in the 2018 origin series against Yorkshire, as well as against the Australian Schoolboys in the same year.

The 21-year-old also has first team experience having featured in Wigan’s pre-season friendly against Salford Red Devils in March, as well as playing for Whitehaven RLFC in the Betfred Championship whilst on loan there earlier this year.

On joining Widnes on loan, Roden said: “I’m excited at the prospect of getting more game time and showing everyone what I can do. I’d like to thank Wigan and Widnes for the opportunity. I can’t wait to get started.”

Wigan Warriors assistant coach, Sean O’Loughlin, said: “This is another great opportunity for Aiden to test himself in the Championship and to get regular game time. We have seen the success of Brad O’Neill going to Widnes on loan and hopefully it can be similar with Aiden. We wish him well in his time there.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/07/ ... s-on-loan/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan