Squad v Leigh Centurions

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Squad v Leigh Centurions

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names the Wigan Warriors squad to face Leigh this Sunday.

Umyla Hanley and Brad O’Neill replace Liam Marshall and Ethan Havard in the 21.

Wigan Warriors v Leigh Centurions, Sun 1st Aug, DW Stadium, 3pm K.O.

Adrian Lam has named the Wigan Warriors squad to face Leigh Centurions this Sunday in Round 17 of the Betfred Super League.

The two will meet for the third time in 2021, with the Warriors having won the first two bouts. Unlike the previous two fixtures, this encounter will take place at the DW Stadium.

Wigan will be looking to bounce back from Wednesday’s defeat at Warrington, while Leigh will still be in search of their first win of the campaign.

Team news

John Bateman is again included in the squad despite missing out due to his ankle injury before the Warrington game on Wednesday.

Brad O’Neill and Umyla Hanley return to the squad, replacing Liam Marshall (failed HIA) and Ethan Havard (hip injury).

Injury news

Forward Morgan Smithies remains sidelined with an ankle injury.

Zak Hardaker is unavailable due to a neck injury.

Winger Dom Manfredi continues to recover from a knee injury.

Jai Field remains side-lined with a torn hamstring injury sustained during Round 1 against Leigh Centurions.

Bevan French too continues recovery from a hamstring injury, expected to keep the full back out for the remainder of the 2021 season.

Squad v Leigh Centurions

4. Oliver Gildart
7. Tommy Leuluai
8. Brad Singleton
9. Sam Powell
10. Joe Bullock
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
13. John Bateman
14. Oliver Partington
17. Tony Clubb
19. Liam Byrne
20. Harry Smith
22. Jake Bibby
23. Mitch Clark
25. Joe Shorrocks
27. Kai Pearce-Paul
28. Sam Halsall
30. Umyla Hanley
31. Jackson Hastings
33. Amir Bourouh
34. Brad O’Neill

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/07/ ... d-v-leigh/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Re: Squad v Leigh Centurions

Post by Barney841 »

Hanley in for Marshall. Wonder where it Hanley is gonna be played 🤔
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:20 pm Hanley in for Marshall. Wonder where it Hanley is gonna be played 🤔
Where Shaun Wane tells Lam to play him. On the wing. :lol:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Lam previews Leigh

Adrian Lam looks ahead to Wigan’s Betfred Super League clash with Leigh.

Lam: “They’ve got nothing to lose Leigh. They’ve got some great players and they are a side who we respect.”

Wigan Warriors v Leigh Centurions, Sun 1st Aug, DW Stadium, 3pm K.O.

Adrian Lam is expecting a ‘good battle’ when his side line up against Leigh Centurions on Sunday afternoon in Round 17 of the Betfred Super League.

The Cherry and Whites will face the Leythers for a third time this season when they meet at the DW Stadium in the 3pm kick-off.

Speaking to the media on Friday in his pre-match press conference, Lam began by discussing the weekend’s opposition.

“Each game we’ve played them this year has been very close. They’ve all gone down to the final 10 or 20 minutes.

“They’ve got nothing to lose Leigh. They’ve got some great players and they are a side who we respect.

Hopefully that will drive the supporters down this weekend, both Wigan fans and Leigh fans.”

Adrian Lam’s me come fresh off the back of a 21-8 defeat to Warrington on Wednesday, while Leigh head into the game having had a month away from any Super League action.

On preparing his team for the game: “We want to get back out there as soon as possible after that Warrington defeat. All our focus is on putting together that 80 minute performance on Sunday.”

On Friday lunchtime Lam named the Wigan 21-man squad to face Leigh (see HERE). Speaking about the changes in his side he said: “Liam Marshall failed his HIA (head injury assessment) on Wednesday, so with the seven day protocol he misses out.

“We’ve now got to take into consideration either Umyla Hanley or Sam Halsall in that outside back position.

“Ethan Havard will miss this game with a hip injury. Into contention will come John Bateman.”

Bateman missed out last Wednesday despite being named in the 21 to face Warrington.

Explaining why he missed out he said: “John had a 50/50 chance before Wednesday’s game but in the captain’s run he pulled up sore. It was more important to take his welfare into consideration then and not pick him.”

Sunday will prove to be only the second Warriors home fixture in which restrictions have been lifted.

On welcoming fans back to the DW Stadium: “You can be at the game and be safe. We’ve done everything we can to make it safe for our team and for the whole stadium.

“We’d love to see as many fans come down this weekend. Every local derby against Leigh brings a tough performance and a good battle. Hopefully I’ll see you down there.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/07/ ... s-leigh-3/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

He dodnt respect them first game…… thats for sure
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

I fancy leigh.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mickw wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:36 amI fancy leigh.
No chance.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I really hope we see more than 5k fans this week.

If number don't get better I can imagine recruitment ending sooner than it might.

On the other note I expect this is eight best chance, Wigan have played alot of games in a very short turn around.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:48 am I really hope we see more than 5k fans this week.

If number don't get better I can imagine recruitment ending sooner than it might.

On the other note I expect this is eight best chance, Wigan have played alot of games in a very short turn around.
They’re certainly beginning to panic over crowd numbers I think,sky bigging up wire crowd the other night the Carney and co where going on it would be a full house what did they get,the number I saw was just over 8k not brilliant is it for 2 of the comps leading lights.

I’m sure there will be more than 5k but it’ll be miles short of a full house unless they give tickets away and use cattle prods to get people through the gate.

Wigan will win Leigh are ridiculously under strength for the SL
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:49 am I’m sure there will be more than 5k but it’ll be miles short of a full house unless they give tickets away and use cattle prods to get people through the gate.
Local amateur team offering match tickets for the East stand £1.00 each for kids and a tenner for adults

Forced me to take up residence at the atmosphere-less game - apart from the lobbygobblers giving it what for

I'm gonna make sure my phone is charged so I can scroll through screwfix catalogue when we are in possession - don't want to be too bored
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: