Wigan star set to depart

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan star set to depart

Post by josie andrews »

Amir Bourouh will leave Wigan Warriors at the end of the season, the Manchester Evening News has reported.

Bourouh, just 20, has spent most of 2021 on loan at Championship side Halifax, after signing the Wigan scholarship system in 2015, aged just 14.

Later, the hooker became an academy Grand Final winner after debuting for the Warriors’ first-team in 2020.

Bourouh has recently been recalled from his loan spell at Halifax with Wigan enduring an injury crisis.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-st ... art-41590/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Re: Wigan star set to depart

Post by DaveO »

FFS. As has just been pointed out on the Warrington thread he made more meters in five minutes than Powell did in 75. Yet Powell gets two more years.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Must admit, he looked very capable when he came on against Wire albeit for a short spell. I like the look of O'Neil though too. Maybe we have a more experienced hooker lined up to come in next season?
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

No chance of an experienced hooker. It should have been Powell. As long as we have Powell our attack will always be poor. Don’t believe Lam made this decision it has to be down KR. No doubt the lad will be snapped up as he is a good prospect never given a fair crack of the whip at Wigan. Best of luck to him.
Superb Chops

Post by Superb Chops »

I fear both Tommy and Powell will sign up to play again next year at the expense of Bourouh and O’Neil.

To me it’s simple strategy to re-sign neither as players but have Leuluai as coach, as speculated. That way, if there’s an emergency at hooker Tommy can sign back on temporary terms as a player.

The money saved could be invested in places it’s needed and the two youngsters get valuable time.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Another Tom Davies scenario we let the wrong one go. Think we will keep Oneill. Like to know who made the decision if Wane has been brought back to head up recruitment, not impressed by this one. I would have thought keeping Bourouh would be the cheaper option than Powell. Powell has had his chance would have been a good start for a clear out, unfortunately, the old boys club has won yet again.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

When Powell went off v Wire he looked exhausted.
The tackling stint has taken its toll on his attacking play and Lam using 16 players hasn't helped.
Lam has named three hookers in his squad for Leigh and I do hope he plays O'Neil & Bourough giving Powell a rest.
Once we were told Sam had re-signed then it seemed only a matter of time before Bourough left. I hope he finds a club quickly as he does seem a good player.
bertina

Post by bertina »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:11 pm FFS. As has just been pointed out on the Warrington thread he made more meters in five minutes than Powell did in 75. Yet Powell gets two more years.
Couldn’t agree more Dave.
If Shaun Wane is now pulling the strings regarding player comings and goings, then we are definitely stuck with Powell. He loved him when he was coach.
Like you, I was sceptical at first when it was muted that Lam was being directed who to play where, but presently the more I see, the more I’m beginning to believe there could be something in it.
If that’s the case, then Lam should have some pride (and balls), and quit.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’m sure the lad will find a club pretty quickly but truth be told I feel O’Neill looks the better prospect at the moment at least
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Alot of over reaction on here, we knew cuts are inbound, you can't plan to have a big team with only 5k fans through the gates :lol:

Wigan star Its a wigan prospect and I imagine people would not blink twice if we had been playing well this season.

I
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.