Wigan star set to depart

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
w.thomas

Re: Wigan star set to depart

Post by w.thomas »

I know it’s only Leigh but I reckon we looked a hell of a lot better without Powell and Tommy on the pitch! 👀👀
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Waited all season for our hooker to make a break. Unfortunately wasn’t Powell it was the lad we are letting go. I agree we looked miles better in attack and I know it was only Leigh but already played them twice and never looked as comfortable.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

That break that led to Shorrocks try was great and something I don’t think Powell is capable of.

He will get snapped up by another club, meanwhile we will revert to Powell.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I really hope the club can work something out with him. I don’t think we’ve seen enough of him to make any sort of judgement. He was a real threat in the 19’s and that spell at Halifax looks to have helped him. He looks like a kid desperate to impress a club enough to offer him a deal. I’m not a Powell basher, yes he’s having a poor season but he was very good last season and him and Bourouh in the same 17 offer a nice balance.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:32 pm I really hope the club can work something out with him. I don’t think we’ve seen enough of him to make any sort of judgement. He was a real threat in the 19’s and that spell at Halifax looks to have helped him. He looks like a kid desperate to impress a club enough to offer him a deal. I’m not a Powell basher, yes he’s having a poor season but he was very good last season and him and Bourouh in the same 17 offer a nice balance.
I would give the lad another year even if we have to send him out on loan long term and assess him further.
bertina

Post by bertina »

DaveO wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:54 pm That break that led to Shorrocks try was great and something I don’t think Powell is capable of.

He will get snapped up by another club, meanwhile we will revert to Powell.
Can't make it up can you ?
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

He’s worth another year if he wants to stay. Look we are losing Hastings, Gildart, Bullock, TL, Clubb and possible Clark. Bringing in four new players who none are marquee players, if we can’t afford to keep the lad for another year we are certainly have big financial problems.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:11 pm FFS. As has just been pointed out on the Warrington thread he made more meters in five minutes than Powell did in 75. Yet Powell gets two more years.
Did you count the 694 tackles .Leading tackler by133?(Superleague Official site).Does that shed anymore light on the subject?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jao711 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:11 pm FFS. As has just been pointed out on the Warrington thread he made more meters in five minutes than Powell did in 75. Yet Powell gets two more years.
Did you count the 694 tackles .Leading tackler by133?(Superleague Official site).Does that she’d anymore light on the subject?
So what? That’s all he’s good at. He can’t pass to save his life, is so slow get the ball away he brings the opposition defence onto our attack and hardly ever runs from dummy half.

And where is it written a different hooker won’t tackle or should be the one doing so much tackling anyway? Other teams seems to manage without their number 9 being their top tackler.

He’d be fine to bring on toward the end of games to help close out a game when we were in front but there is no way he should be first choice hooker at a top club nor an 80 minute hooker.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dave doesn't like Powell. It's his thing. We all have to get used to that fact that every post will say that.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐