Adrian Lam on Wigan Warriors' youngsters, Tommy Leulaui and Oliver Gildart injuries and Brad Singleton's red card

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam on Wigan Warriors' youngsters, Tommy Leulaui and Oliver Gildart injuries and Brad Singleton's red card

Post by josie andrews »

The Cherry and Whites won 50-6 over Leigh Centurions on Sunday

Adrian Lam hailed Wigan Warriors’ youngsters after the Cherry and Whites’ 50-6 demolition of Leigh Centurions.

Wigan simply swept the floor with Leigh at the DW Stadium, running in nine tries in front of a sizeable crowd of 9,206.

Three of those tries belonged to Umyla Hanley, while Sam Halsall, who was drafted into the side late in place of Oliver Gildart, grabbed one on the other edge and rookie half-back Harry Smith had a say in a large proportion of them.

As such, after witnessing his side get back to winning ways in style, the Wigan boss raving about his young stars.

We had a few late changes which could have disrupted our performance but I thought our two young players that played on the wing and the one off the bench – Hanley scored a hat-trick, Sam Halsall was really safe and I thought Amir Bourouh was pretty safe as well – I’m proud of the young ones that filled in,” Lam said.

“Smith was pretty good. He’s had a good go at it now over the last six to eight weeks and I still think he has improvements to make.

We’re working hard on him being a better player and he certainly showed some good signs today.”

Unfortunately, the win came at a cost for the Wigan as they lost Tommy Leuluai to a suspected hamstring tear, while Gildart pulled out of the warm-up with a muscle concern.

“Tommy Leuluai tore a hamstring today,” he added. “It is just purely on the back of a load of work that we’ve been doing. We’ve got a couple of other players with muscle strains which is all part of the short turnaround.

“It’s a real difficult schedule for us at the moment and that’s why I’m really proud of the players. For a four-day turnaround after Warrington, I thought we finished the game with more energy than them.

“Gildart pulled up with a bit of a strain at captain’s run yesterday. He got in today and was playing but we were concerned because he got into the dressing room and said when he was stretching it feels like it’s grabbing.

“He went out and had a run in the warm-up and he felt like it was going to go. We didn’t want to take the risk.

The club are braced for disciplinary action, too, as Brad Singleton was shown a red card for throwing punches at Leigh debutant Jack Ashworth.

The pair could be seen exchanging blows in the first half, but Lam refused to be drawn on the incident.

When asked about the melee, he said: “I need to have a look at both angles as soon as I get back to work tonight. It’s hard for me to say without replays, I’ll have a look and see where we sit with that.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-21199888
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Adrian Lam on Wigan Warriors' youngsters, Tommy Leulaui and Oliver Gildart injuries and Brad Singleton's red card

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors player ratings as Jackson Hastings and Harry Smith terrorise Leigh Centurions

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... h-21199544
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
nathan_rugby

Re: Adrian Lam on Wigan Warriors' youngsters, Tommy Leulaui and Oliver Gildart injuries and Brad Singleton's red card

Post by nathan_rugby »

Tommy Leuluai tore a hamstring today,” he added. “It is just purely on the back of a load of work that we’ve been doing.

Sounds like Lam knew in advance there was a risk o me injury to some players, why play Tommy then?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:18 am Tommy Leuluai tore a hamstring today,” he added. “It is just purely on the back of a load of work that we’ve been doing.

Sounds like Lam knew in advance there was a risk o me injury to some players, why play Tommy then?
A tilt at the number of games in a short space of time?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

We’ve played five games in 20/21 days! We’ve played 17 games, more than any other club atm, it’s no wonder we’re knackered. But then squad & bench rotation is truly baffling!
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:38 am We’ve played five games in 20/21 days! We’ve played 17 games, more than any other club atm, it’s no wonder we’re knackered. But then squad & bench rotation is truly baffling!
i was listening on radio manchester yesterday and the commentary was quite poor to be honest. i usually like Trevor and Jack

All they kept saying constantly for 80 minutes was that Leigh hadnt played for 31 days, so they were tired and that they had tried hard / put lots of effort in. To be honest it got quite monotonous. They did mention Wigan playing, but said we would be battle hardened, not tired through playing too much though
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Lam could have rested TL quite easily, if he had played Hanley at full back for a couple of games. I think TL was heavily strapped when he started yesterday. And Bullock has hardly played during last few weeks. Agree team rotation has been poor. When we get Hardaker, Smithies, Marshall and Field available it will be interesting to see Lam’s starting 13.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Graham1 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:18 am Lam could have rested TL quite easily, if he had played Hanley at full back for a couple of games. I think TL was heavily strapped when he started yesterday. And Bullock has hardly played during last few weeks. Agree team rotation has been poor. When we get Hardaker, Smithies, Marshall and Field available it will be interesting to see Lam’s starting 13.
Well according to both Hardaker & Marshall yesterday they should be ready for selection for the Salford game 😊
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Graham1 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:18 am Lam could have rested TL quite easily, if he had played Hanley at full back for a couple of games. I think TL was heavily strapped when he started yesterday. And Bullock has hardly played during last few weeks. Agree team rotation has been poor. When we get Hardaker, Smithies, Marshall and Field available it will be interesting to see Lam’s starting 13.
TL had a fitness test on the pitch before the game .