Squad v Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Squad v Salford

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names the Wigan Warriors squad to face Salford Red Devils this Friday.

Jai Field among five changes for the Warriors.

Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils, Fri 6th August, DW Stadium, 7:45pm K.O.

Adrian Lam has named the Wigan Warriors squad to face Salford Red Devils this Friday in Round 18 of the Betfred Super League.

The Cherry and Whites will host Richard Marshall’s men at the DW Stadium with the game getting underway at 7:45pm.

The two met once already this season, with Wigan coming out on top at the AJ Bell Stadium thanks to a late Jackson Hastings drop-goal.

Team news

Jai Field is included for the first time since Round 1 after suffering a hamstring injury against Leigh back in March.

Zak Hardaker (neck), Morgan Smithies (ankle) and Ethan Havard (hip) also return from their respective injuries. Liam Marshall is the fifth change, returning after missing out last week against Leigh with a failed HIA (Head Injury Assessment) from the midweek Warrington clash.

Brad Singleton and Oliver Partington have been served with three and two-match bans respectively for Grade C (Punching) offences in Wigan’s win over Leigh last week.

Injury news

Tommy Leuluai misses out with a hamstring injury sustained against Leigh Centurions last week.

Dom Manfredi remains sidelined with a knee injury.

Bevan French continues recovery from a hamstring injury, expected to keep the full back out for the remainder of the 2021 season.

Wigan Warriors squad v Salford Red Devils

3. Zak Hardaker

4. Oliver Gildart
5. Liam Marshall
6. Jai Field
9. Sam Powell
10. Joe Bullock
11. Willie Isa
13. John Bateman
15. Morgan Smithies
17. Tony Clubb
19. Liam Byrne
20. Harry Smith
21. Ethan Havard
22. Jake Bibby
23. Mitch Clark
25. Joe Shorrocks
27. Kai Pearce-Paul
28. Sam Halsall
30. Umyla Hanley
31. Jackson Hastings
33. Amir Bourouh

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/08/ ... v-salford/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Squad v Salford

Post by Firestarter »

Be an interesting team selection….. glad hes resting faz( hes earned it)…. Ide go
1 field
2 bibby
3 zak/isa
4 gilly
5 marshy
6 hastings
7 smith
8 bullock
9 powell
10 havard
11 bateman
12 pearce paul
13 shorrocks

14 borough/smithies
15 isa/zak
16 clubb
17 byrne/clarke

Ide start field at fullback as i think wing will present more problems( not bring his position)….. possibly borough on bench in case of any half emergencies and zak to defo start centre if hes 100%…… give willie a rest on bench……. Theres not much between the front row tbh and shorrocks Definately deserves a start at loose for his hands alone…..could possibly be thr best backline weve had out all season
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

What’s up with Faz?
KPP being so brilliant really makes a difference to the pack permutations.
I agree that it would be great to see Shorrocks at 13. Such a talent.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:25 pm Be an interesting team selection….. glad hes resting faz( hes earned it)…. Ide go
1 field
2 bibby
3 zak/isa
4 gilly
5 marshy
6 hastings
7 smith
8 bullock
9 powell
10 havard
11 bateman
12 pearce paul
13 shorrocks

14 borough/smithies
15 isa/zak
16 clubb
17 byrne/clarke

Ide start field at fullback as i think wing will present more problems( not bring his position)….. possibly borough on bench in case of any half emergencies and zak to defo start centre if hes 100%…… give willie a rest on bench……. Theres not much between the front row tbh and shorrocks Definately deserves a start at loose for his hands alone…..could possibly be thr best backline weve had out all season
Field will start in the halves, Hastings at fullback.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:33 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:25 pm Be an interesting team selection….. glad hes resting faz( hes earned it)…. Ide go
1 field
2 bibby
3 zak/isa
4 gilly
5 marshy
6 hastings
7 smith
8 bullock
9 powell
10 havard
11 bateman
12 pearce paul
13 shorrocks

14 borough/smithies
15 isa/zak
16 clubb
17 byrne/clarke

Field will start in the halves, Hastings at fullback.
cant see it myself but who knows?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Hanley
Bibby
Hardaker
Gildart
Marshall
Hastings
Smith
Bullock
Powell
Smithies
Isa
Bateman
Shorrocks

Borough
Havard
Pearce Paul
Field
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

1 Hardacre 14 Field
2 Halsall 15 Powell
3 Bibby 16 Clark
4 Gildart 17 Smithies
5 Marshall
6 Hastings 18 Hanley
7 Smith 19 Isa
8 Bullock 20 Clubb
9 Bourouh 21 Byrne
10 Havard
11 Bateman
12 Pearce-Paul
13 Shorrocks
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I know there are mixed views on him but the first time I saw Olly Gildart, I thought that he was class and would train on. I think I rather feel the same about Halsall and he's certainly the one I'd like to see given a run in the team.

Perhaps more to the point - is Faz injured or just being given a break?

Sorry - tight calf apparently and being given a break. We'd better not lose then!
superleague

Post by superleague »

Anyone know if you can pay on the gate?? Cheers
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

superleague wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:59 pm Anyone know if you can pay on the gate?? Cheers
Yep, more or less. You just need to go to the Ticket office to pay first, I think the one at the corner of West and North ?