Wigan star’s career in jeopardy following serious injury

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan star’s career in jeopardy following serious injury

Post by josie andrews »

Tommy Leuluai is a Wigan legend, but his time at the club could be coming to an end following a potentially career-threatening hamstring injury.

The New Zealander exited the field on Sunday as the Warriors put Leigh to the sword and Lam believes it doesn’t look too promising.

“ He limped off the field the other day, and he immediately said it wasn’t good,” Lam said.

“We’ve already had two big hamstring injuries this year, and if that is the case for Tommy, it’ll be devastating for us, but we’ll wait and see what the result is. I don’t want to jump to conclusions but it doesn’t look good.

“It looks like he has done his hamstring to a serious degree, and we’ll know more when the results come back.

“But that doesn’t look good – he’s the captain of our club, and the player I turn to the most in the team

“ For me personally, it’d be a real disappointing moment – I’ll have him by my side no matter what but it’d be a big blow.”

Leuluai has been at Wigan for nine years across two different spells, but the 36-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-st ... ury-41748/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: Wigan star’s career in jeopardy following serious injury

Post by morley pie eater »

Sad news if it's that bad, though better at 36 than 26 is some small consolation I suppose.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Lockers better get his boots out of the wardrobe :lol:
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

As he went off I said to my wife it looked bad.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:03 pm As he went off I said to my wife it looked bad.
Maybe….. just maybe we can bring a player in early before seasons end….. pity for tommy but he wouldnt be my first choice atm….. finished on a high with z good try though
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Three serious hamstring injuries in the team and I think Gildart is also suffering from a hamstring strain.

How unlucky can you get?

I doubt they are related to poor conditioning and all occurred for different reasons with Tommy's age and the toll long career has taken probably not helping in his case.

If there is a silver lining here it might force Lam to play Hasting's back in the halves though I am not holding my breath.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

I noticed before the game Tommy was strapped up and talking to the physio during the warm up, said to my brother it didn’t look promising,at least if it is the end he went out with a try in a decent performance
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:04 pm Three serious hamstring injuries in the team and I think Gildart is also suffering from a hamstring strain.

How unlucky can you get?

I doubt they are related to poor conditioning and all occurred for different reasons with Tommy's age and the toll long career has taken probably not helping in his case.

If there is a silver lining here it might force Lam to play Hasting's back in the halves though I am not holding my breath.
Why do you doubt this?

It is starting to look suspicious if you ask me.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:18 pm
DaveO wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:04 pm Three serious hamstring injuries in the team and I think Gildart is also suffering from a hamstring strain.

How unlucky can you get?

Why do you doubt this?

It is starting to look suspicious if you ask me.
It was Widnes's pitch a few years ago....
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’m sure when Tommy gets fully fit (no matter how long it is), he will be welcomed back into the first team…