Top jockey to cheer on Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Top jockey to cheer on Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

By Phil Wilkinson, Wigan Post

It won’t just be Rugby League fans glued to the action when Wigan host St Helens on Friday night.

Top jockey Cieren Fallon – son of six-time champion Kieren – will also be following the action from afar.

The 23-year-old is one of a list of sports stars who support the Warriors, alongside the likes of Tommy Fleetwood, Sir Bradley Wiggins, Rio Ferdinand and Jenny Meadows.

And in a feature in the new-look, weekly Wigan Post, Fallon has spoken about his love for the Club.

“I’m a big Warriors fan, it runs in the family,” he said. “My mum’s a huge fan and we used to go to every game growing up.

“One of my fondest memories was going to the game against Warrington in the 2013 Grand Final when we were losing at half time and then came back and beat them – that was brilliant.

I don’t get a chance to go to many games anymore, but if I’m at home I’ll be watching and if I’m not I’ll be checking the score in the weighing room!

“You can never write off Wigan. If they can get their full squad back up and running and get into the Play-Offs they should be in there with a big chance.

“St Helens are probably the team to beat but Catalans are having an unbelievable year and it’s nice to see them doing well with a lot of ex-Wiganers.”

Fallon grew up in Wigan and played Rugby League for Shevington Sharks – the same former junior club as his pals, Sam Halsall and Umyla Hanley.

“I played league myself when I was younger but I’m just too small!” said Fallon, who lists captain Thomas Leuluai as his favourite player.

“I’m mates with Sam Halsall, Morgan Smithies, Umyla Hanley and Amir Bourouh and it’s great watching them all play for Wigan.”

Fallon was late moving into racing but has made a quick impression, claiming back-to-back Champion Apprentice titles and riding two Ground One winners. He will be racing at Haydock Park next month with the Sprint Cup Celebration from Thursday 2nd to Saturday 4th September and added: “My mates try and come if they can and my family come along and it’s like being at home.

“It’s good to see everyone and going up to Haydock feels like a family affair!”

The new, weekly Wigan Post is on sale every Friday featuring 22 pages of top sport including Warriors news and opinion.

Tickets for Wigan’s Betfred Super League Rivals Round clash against St Helens are on sale!

The biggest derby in Rugby League will take place on Friday 20th August at the DW Stadium. Don’t miss out and get your tickets now! Buy online by clicking HERE or call the DW Stadium Ticket Office on 01942 311111 (9am-5pm Mon-Fri).

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/08/ ... -on-wigan/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan