We missed Sam Powell Tonight

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Re: We missed Sam Powell Tonight

Post by Wes »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Wes wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:03 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: I can only assume you are trying to wind everyone up
Everyone slams Powell yet the correlation is simple, 3 games missing, 3 losses.

You don’t have to be the best player in the world to bind a team together and move them around the park.

He solidifies the middle and he constantly talks to the players and gives the players around him confidence. He’s also very experienced and a winner.

We are lacking confidence.

We all know he isn’t the best attacking hooker in the league but his presence in the team is not to be under estimated.

I’d have him as captain in a heart beat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I’m sorry i remember now we’ve won every game sam Powell has played in haven’t we you’re right I remember how awesome we’ve been this season up to the last 3 games

Sorry rememebr now im with you it’s only these 3 games that we’ve played badly - at least we play absolutely awesome when Powell plays so when he’s back we will be knocking teams around 50+ points a week can’t wait
Stop apologising, Powell will add to the team, he’s been missing 3 games and we have looked clueless, as I have said he may not be the best hooker in the league but he will bind the team somewhat and with him we are better than without.

Anyhow I’m glad your back, thought you’d quit the forum in disgust not long back[emoji106] have a good night.

moto748

Post by moto748 »

We didn't miss Powell. Shorrocks does 90% of what Powell does, even though he's not a dummy-half. Lam clearly doesn't trust Bourouh (or O'Neil?) defensively. Dummy-half is way down our list of problems, though, well behind no go-forward, and clumsy, laboured, ineffective attack.
Wes

Post by Wes »

nathan_rugby wrote:
Wes wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:03 pm

You don’t have to be the best player in the world to bind a team together and move them around the park.

He solidifies the middle and he constantly talks to the players and gives the players around him confidence. He’s also very experienced and a winner.

We all know he isn’t the best attacking hooker in the league but his presence in the team is not to be under estimated.

Has he been missed, 100%.

But majority of your post is rubbish.

What about the games we lost but Powell was playing?
Glad you agree he’s been missed 100%

On what basis is my post rubbish?

Games we lost whilst Powell was playing, I’d hazard a guess we scored more points than in the last 3 games. Naive to think a team can win every game. The last 3 games we have been diabolical.

Wes

Post by Wes »

moto748 wrote:We didn't miss Powell. Shorrocks does 90% of what Powell does, even though he's not a dummy-half. Lam clearly doesn't trust Bourouh (or O'Neil?) defensively. Dummy-half is way down our list of problems, though, well behind no go-forward, and clumsy, laboured, ineffective attack.
Shorrocks doesn’t have the experience to offer anywhere near what Powell does. He won’t command anywhere near the same amount of respect from his peers.

Powell should be our next captain.

moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm not suggesting Shorrocks should replace Powell. He's not a dummy-half. In a sane world, he'd be a useful squad player who could offer a bit of versatility off the bench, not a starting hooker. But he is doing his best to play a Powell-alike role right now.
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

I genuinely can't believe that anyone thinks Powell is anything like good enough. He's slow, predictable, ponderous and has not got good hands or a rugby brain. He would not get in any other SL team
DaveO

We missed Sam Powell Tonight

Post by DaveO »

Wes wrote:
Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Wes wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:41 pm Missed Powell again, we’d have won with him in the side tonight. 3 games without him, 3 losses!!

I can only assume you are trying to wind everyone up

You obviously have never heard of the saying correlation does not imply causation. Just because Powell was out and we lost three games does not mean if he’d played we’d have won.

Given his only strength is defence and our problem is attack I fail to see how you can say his absence is of any significance. The opposition tonight only scored 14 points so solidifying the middle” isn’t something that was particularly lacking anyway.

We can’t score and he has just about zero attacking ability. His addition to the side will not address the issue of a poor attack one iota.

You are also completely exaggerating his influence on the team. They look no better with him in it then they do without. All the things you say he adds to the team are missing when he is in and when he isn’t.

You have him confused with Lockers in his prime.

People are far too kind when they say things like he’s not as bad as some make out. He is. He’s crap.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wes wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote:
Wes wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:03 pm Everyone slams Powell yet the correlation is simple, 3 games missing, 3 losses.

Has he been missed, 100%.

Games we lost whilst Powell was playing, I’d hazard a guess we scored more points than in the last 3 games. Naive to think a team can win every game. The last 3 games we have been diabolical.

The idea we’d score more points with Powell in the side has got to be one of the funniest things I have read. Particularly in the post above this one you just said yourself he’s not up to much in attack. Make your mind up.
Wes

Post by Wes »

DaveO wrote:
Wes wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote: Has he been missed, 100%.

The idea we’d score more points with Powell in the side has got to be one of the funniest things I have read. Particularly in the post above this one you just said yourself he’s not up to much in attack. Make your mind up.
Given the depth and length of your posts you would think you’d read others properly and understand them.

What I wrote was he’s not the best attacking hooker, this is very different too, he’s not upto much in attack.

Clearly my mind is made up, he’s better than what people think and he’s missed at the moment.

Wes

Post by Wes »

DaveO wrote:
Wes wrote:

You obviously have never heard of the saying correlation does not imply causation. Just because Powell was out and we lost three games does not mean if he’d played we’d have won.

Given his only strength is defence and our problem is attack I fail to see how you can say his absence is of any significance. The opposition tonight only scored 14 points so solidifying the middle” isn’t something that was particularly lacking anyway.

We can’t score and he has just about zero attacking ability. His addition to the side will not address the issue of a poor attack one iota.

You are also completely exaggerating his influence on the team. They look no better with him in it then they do without. All the things you say he adds to the team are missing when he is in and when he isn’t.

You have him confused with Lockers in his prime.

People are far too kind when they say things like he’s not as bad as some make out. He is. He’s crap.
Whilst your making things obvious with correlation/causation let’s keep Lam, give him 3 years, just because we are in a rut with him doesn’t mean we can’t win a GF, he’s got us to one.