We missed Sam Powell Tonight

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Re: We missed Sam Powell Tonight

Post by Wes »

pedro wrote:
Wes wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:38 pm
presma4 wrote:when will fans realise that powell is nothing more than a average player who wouldnt have made a scrap of difference against saints thats coz they have a class hooker who is 10x the player powell will ever be

i ask all those who think powell is a good player would powell get into any of the the top 6 clubs as hooker

not at saints wire cas hull kr hullfc or leeds

those clubs some on them have 2 hookers better than powell

and to think we let micky mac go for him laughable
Stats for Powell and Roby are very similar this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
all that shows is that stats are useless....
Of course they are[emoji1745]

pedro

Post by pedro »

Ok Powell is as good as Roby...better? :roll:
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Wes wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:38 pm
presma4 wrote:when will fans realise that powell is nothing more than a average player who wouldnt have made a scrap of difference against saints thats coz they have a class hooker who is 10x the player powell will ever be

i ask all those who think powell is a good player would powell get into any of the the top 6 clubs as hooker

not at saints wire cas hull kr hullfc or leeds

those clubs some on them have 2 hookers better than powell

and to think we let micky mac go for him laughable
Stats for Powell and Roby are very similar this season.

Maybe fans wouldn’t slam your opinion if you weren’t making it in such a comically bad way

Saying we missed Sam Powell - fair enough it’s debatable in its own right but I think there’s a case there as he is the only 9 we have so despite his limitations we still have no other actual option so is likely that we are slightly weaker in that position without him but that doesn’t make us strong with him

Then you start trotting out this ridiculous he’s not played three times and we’ve lost we would have won if he had played! - even the most ardent Powell fan even you yourself have noted he doesn’t offer much in attack - so when scoring points is our issue how is the man who has never in his entire career been a game changer going to change a game in that way?

It’s nothing to do with liking or disliking Powell is the nature of you claims that he and he alone is the reason we’ve lost 3 games like we have only lost 3 times this season we’ve lost 9 times this season!!

The whole team have been utter garbage so mr slow with his average passing and treacle legs wasn’t going to score us 24 points was he

And the claim that his stats match robys let’s ignore the fact we’ve played more and roby is spelled and tackle that argument straight on roby is 35! Powell is 29 - the very fact that roby is still far better than him despite being past the age most players retire should tell you what you need to know

And for the record

James roby - 5 time dream team, Harry Sunderland trophy winner, man of steel and 38 international caps

Sam Powell - no individual honours
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pedro

Post by pedro »

hes once won karaoke in walkabout....might have got second now I think about it
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

And for the record

James roby - 5 time dream team, Harry Sunderland trophy winner, man of steel and 38 international caps

This amused me, but instead of the stats being used to show powell has been good this year maybe it should highlight that Roby isn't the player he was even a year ago. He Hardly ripped us apart in the Derby.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:41 pm And for the record

This amused me, but instead of the stats being used to show powell has been good this year maybe it should highlight that Roby isn't the player he was even a year ago. He Hardly ripped us apart in the Derby.
he didnt need to as they didnt get out of second gear
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Spot on WiganForever1985
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:41 pm And for the record

I’m glad he didn’t to be honest,he’s on the downward spiral now of course but still a fine player.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Just because we missed him doesn't mean he is a world beater nor does it mean we would have won the previous 3 games.

You can get away with a defensive hooker as long as your other pivot players (7, 6, 1) are capable attacking players & you have sufficient systems in place to mitigate a defensive hooker.

We don't have good systems in place which makes it very easy to point the finger at Powell's deficiencies.

That being said, having a hooker who can make breaks from dummy half, draw the first marker to pass to forwards on good lines & step out of hooker to draw the defence is an excellent asset!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

pedro wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:12 pm Ok Powell is as good as Roby...better? :roll:
Of course not. Who is saying this? Roby is clearly the better player.

Powell is solid enough for a salary capped team. Just don't expect him to be a superstar hooker.