Havard

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EagleEyePie

Re: Havard

Post by EagleEyePie »

Havard is doing well for a 20 year old prop forward. Props who are 19/20 generally aren't going to average over 100m per game like some of the best and most experienced ones do. The last 19/20 year old prop to do that who I can remember was, well, Ethan Havard last season!

Seriously, he's one of the last players who would need a thread questioning whether they are good enough. Pretty much every young player has a dip in form either in their second season or in their second season as an established player if they took longer to break into the team. Havard is doing fine. He's 20 and is at an age where he's still developing his game. He's had some really good games this season. Against Wakefield away he was absolutely outstanding. He's got that in him already at the age of 20.

As others have said, the problem is what he's expected to do. He's playing pretty much every game. He's playing long minutes. Last time I checked he was once again statistically our best prop, despite his drop in form. No, he's not as aggressive in defence as Partington is but he also doesn't have to be. He just needs to be smart. Farrell isn't an aggressive defender. Just give Havard time because he looks like he's going to be strong in all facets of the game if he reaches his potential.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Nothing wrong at all with Havard.

He will be a good prop in a few years.
HDS

Post by HDS »

Ethan Havard has been involved in eighteen super league games and two challenge cup games this season.

He needs to be rested occasionally and not relied upon so heavily at such a tender age. Hopefully when the two Aussie Props arrive next season and I pray the injury list is not as horrendous we will get the right balance.
The amount of games Wigan have played in a short time is one of the reasons form is so poor. I do think we should have had a better rotation especially in a position so brutal as the front row.

Ethan among others have suffered for this, when the balance is right I think Ethan will flourish, he is quite simply burnt out.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I said on another thread the last time I remember so many youngsters being relied upon was the season we got beat by 70+ points in two matches think it was 2005

That shows you how far the league standard has dropped but that aside these young guns are still potential but they are being treated as starters and it’s unfair and shame on wigan for putting them in this situation while playing bullock for only 10mins

Wigan are destroying these young lads it’s disgusting when you actually think about it
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

2 new Aus props stats are terrible see their profile
HDS

Post by HDS »

Surely they must be an improvement on an aging Clubb and a ten minute Bullock.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:47 pm Havard is far too young to be a starting prop.
Bench prop yes, starting prop, not for some time yet
I don't think he should even be playing prop. He's far better in the back row as loose forward.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I think playing our young props every week borders on abuse we are slowly draining them and we will suffer from continually playing them on a weekly basis, but then again maybe the management are not too concerned
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ddtftf wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:31 pm I think playing our young props every week borders on abuse we are slowly draining them and we will suffer from continually playing them on a weekly basis, but then again maybe the management are not too concerned
I’ve said this all season! Player welfare?? You’re having a bloody laugh! They’re disheartened, no confidence & bloody knackered!!

These kids will be burnt out by the time they are 25 when it should be the age when they should coming into their own!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

that literally last night was men against boys

to expect a pack with 5 20 year olds (give or take a year) take on an experienced saints pack was bordering on criminal

where are the 4 senior props in our squad. Surely questions have to be asked about that. we had 1 of them on the bench who i think managed about 15 minutes of the 80. its an absolute disgrace that these young lads are being battered literally week in week out by seasoned pros. i would be ashamed of myself if i was one of Singleton, Bullock, Clubb or Clark. These are the guys who should be leading our pack, not any of the young lads who are currently standing up for our club at this moment in time. I appreciate that 3 may be on their way, but let all 4 go, as they have let their team mates and fans down big time this season

i have posted previously that Wigan used to know how and when to move players on, but not any more. we used to have a balance of experienced players and bring the young players in, to give them a good grounding with a senior team around them. now we have a team of young players with a senior player being looked after by the kids. i cant fault the effort of the young ones, but they shouldnt be in the position of having to play 80 mins against Walmsley, Roby, the cockey w***er, Paasi, etc. at best they should be on the bench and coming on as interchanges and being rotated on a weekly basis. This current crop are going to be battered by the time they are 21