Havard

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Havard

Post by Charriots Offiah »

HDS wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:55 pm Surely they must be an improvement on an aging Clubb and a ten minute Bullock.
It is not Bullock’s fault that he only gets 10 minutes, I guarantee he will be playing longer minutes at Wire.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:48 pm
HDS wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:55 pm Surely they must be an improvement on an aging Clubb and a ten minute Bullock.
It is not Bullock’s fault that he only gets 10 minutes, I guarantee he will be playing longer minutes at Wire.
depends on the players attitude / ability to defend. granted it looked like he made decent yards when he took the ball in, but when i was watching him defensively he looked laboured at times

Kibula left Wigan to Wire and hasnt made the expected jump forward, so whilst Bullock may play more minutes, can he physically cope with it or will he be targetted as a weak defensive link?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

the pieman wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:54 pm
depends on the players attitude / ability to defend. granted it looked like he made decent yards when he took the ball in, but when i was watching him defensively he looked laboured at times

Kibula left Wigan to Wire and hasnt made the expected jump forward, so whilst Bullock may play more minutes, can he physically cope with it or will he be targetted as a weak defensive link?
I was told years and years ago that players cant express themselves at wigan and have to play the wigan way…… its time we had a michael maguire type total revamp…… im sure every wigan fan on earth agrees
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Whatever the reason, playing Bullock for 10 minutes is total lunacy - its putting massive pressure on the already stretched young forwards and to play long minutes themselves. If he can't tackle/won't tackle then surely someone else must be in the team in his place?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:56 pm
the pieman wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:54 pm

I was told years and years ago that players cant express themselves at wigan and have to play the wigan way…… its time we had a michael maguire type total revamp…… im sure every wigan fan on earth agrees
i think that could be said across the board

i was lucky enough to be sat at a sportsmans dinner a few years ago with Kris Radlinski and Steve Hamspon when Sam T was coming through. They said at the time they were trying to get the balance between allowing him to use his talent and coach him (structured), as everything now is so structured

IMO the game at times is far too structured, so anyone with natural talent has it coached out of them. How many players across super league do we see nowadays who have real raw natural talent, and play the game as they see it. i would say none. Granted we get the odd off the cuff play, but how often do we see a chip over the top (ala Andy Greg etc) to give the defensive line something to think about

it certainly feels at the minute that something needs to change. the squad of players we have are better than the current performances and Lam looks way out of his depth and keeps rolling out the same pre and post match interviews, which have certainly worn very thin with the supporters. I watched last night and at no point did i think we would score a try, which is something i havent felt for a long time. We didnt manage to build any pressure at any point in the game with Saints making far more yards in all areas of the pitch and defending far more aggressively than we did
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:22 pm Whatever the reason, playing Bullock for 10 minutes is total lunacy - its putting massive pressure on the already stretched young forwards and to play long minutes themselves. If he can't tackle/won't tackle then surely someone else must be in the team in his place?
i've said in one of my other posts that the 4 senior props need to take a good look at themselves

Clubb, Singleton, Clark and Bullock should be leading the pack and bringing the young forwards through, not the other way round. we have a pack of kids v men in the Saints pack yesterday and it showed. i cant criticse the young lads as they did everything they could to win, but it wasnt enough / good enough

what i will criticise is 4 1st team props who arent standing up and being counted and taking the foward battle to the opposition. If they dont fit with AL, then make sure you fit. When i played amateur Sunday league, i had pride and passion in my performance, it really feels like they just want to rock up and take the pay cheque and dont give a flying F*** about either the club, fans or their team mates. There are young lads out there who should be getting better support from their senior colleagues and it aint happening and needs to change or they will burn out and ruin their careers
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Havard has everything to make it to the very top of the game outside of natural aggression by the looks of things. I sit watching him praying he’ll show something that proves he’s got that spark inside of him but I’m still waiting. He looks a bit Joe Greenwood to me but I really hope I’m wrong. Like Greenwood he could just about make it to international level without it but he’ll not become one of the best props in the country. IMO his performances in that academy series against Australia, his build and his natural ability should get him to an elite level but unless you have that bit of fight, you’re not going to do anymore than just get by.

In his defence he is being badly treated by Lam and the club in being asked to produce too much, too soon and him being bullied last night probably shouldn’t be a stick to beat him with.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

the pieman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:13 am
widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:22 pm Whatever the reason, playing Bullock for 10 minutes is total lunacy - its putting massive pressure on the already stretched young forwards and to play long minutes themselves. If he can't tackle/won't tackle then surely someone else must be in the team in his place?
i've said in one of my other posts that the 4 senior props need to take a good look at themselves

Clubb, Singleton, Clark and Bullock should be leading the pack and bringing the young forwards through, not the other way round. we have a pack of kids v men in the Saints pack yesterday and it showed. i cant criticse the young lads as they did everything they could to win, but it wasnt enough / good enough

what i will criticise is 4 1st team props who arent standing up and being counted and taking the foward battle to the opposition. If they dont fit with AL, then make sure you fit. When i played amateur Sunday league, i had pride and passion in my performance, it really feels like they just want to rock up and take the pay cheque and dont give a flying F*** about either the club, fans or their team mates. There are young lads out there who should be getting better support from their senior colleagues and it aint happening and needs to change or they will burn out and ruin their careers
Thats down to the coach he should have been rotating the forwards not flogging the lads to bits Bullock was our best go forward but took him off after 15 mins heard he a row MONTHS AGO with Lam about the minutes he was playing .Clarke was spelled after 15 mins cant even get in the squad .Ten minute Tony enough said. Singleton after his initial signing gone backwards as have all the players in Lams tenure. Has Smithies ,Partington, Byrne got any better NOOOO
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Harvard hasn’t looked as good this year but it isn’t fair to pin blame on him considering the coach, the quality of the team and his age.

He has immense potential, he puts up excellent meters, carries and tackles but he needs to add a bit of aggression to his game in my opinion.

With regards to Bullock, not sure what is going on but he will be capable of more than 10 minutes. Even if it’s 20 minutes it will help the team as it spreads the workload out.

What baffles me is that Lam picks Bullock. Why not pick Clarke instead? It isn’t like he doesn’t have another option.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
HDS

Post by HDS »

I agree it is not Bullocks fault that he only gets ten minutes, the fault lies with Lam. I think he should be
playing far more minutes. Warrington wouldn't sign him just for such short spells. With our pack having so many young forwards it is beyond me that he hardly plays. His physical size is what we are short off.
He might make the odd mistake but at least he looks like he can put a dent in the opposition line, something
we have been missing for a long time.

No wonder he is moving to Warrington