Mr Lenagan, speak to us please!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Mr Lenagan, speak to us please!

Post by DaveO »

Shaun1967 wrote:Could you imagine the uproar on here if we’d signed an aging centre to replace one of our young second rowers we’d just lost to a rival?
Well we have supposedly signed Thornley who is 29 so will be 30 next season and plenty, me included, aren’t happy about that.

If you sign a player of that age or older you need class not never-have-beens. Wigan have signed a few class players past their prime over the years I have watched them who were still a level above some younger counterparts running around the U.K. game and certainly better than average players of the same age.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:34 pm
Shaun1967 wrote:Could you imagine the uproar on here if we’d signed an aging centre to replace one of our young second rowers we’d just lost to a rival?
Well we have supposedly signed Thornley who is 29 so will be 30 next season and plenty, me included, aren’t happy about that.

If you sign a player of that age or older you need class not never-have-beens. Wigan have signed a few class players past their prime over the years I have watched them who were still a level above some younger counterparts running around the U.K. game and certainly better than average players of the same age.
Totally agree. I was never a fan of Thornley first time around and I haven’t seen anything to change my mind since.
The point I made still stands; if we’d conducted this piece of business i.e. an unfit, aging centre who has just been offered reduced terms by his current club to replace one of our young second rowers we would want answers from the club.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Shaun1967 wrote:

Totally agree. I was never a fan of Thornley first time around and I haven’t seen anything to change my mind since.
The point I made still stands; if we’d conducted this piece of business i.e. an unfit, aging centre who has just been offered reduced terms by his current club to replace one of our young second rowers we would want answers from the club.
Wigan haven’t done that though so I don’t see your point. So far we have made made two potentially good signings with the two NRL forwards and then two poor ones with winger from London and Thornley. We are also losing quality in the half back slot if the rumours about Miller are true.

Given the state of the U.K. game I think signing 30 something ex NRL players is going to be something we have to get used to. We won’t get any really good ones in their prime but we might get them at the end of their careers. The question then is signing such a player a good idea compared to signing players like Thornley or the winger from London neither of whom, given their ages, will have any improvement in them?
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:17 am
Shaun1967 wrote:

Wigan haven’t done that though so I don’t see your point. So far we have made made two potentially good signings with the two NRL forwards and then two poor ones with winger from London and Thornley. We are also losing quality in the half back slot if the rumours about Miller are true.

Given the state of the U.K. game I think signing 30 something ex NRL players is going to be something we have to get used to. We won’t get any really good ones in their prime but we might get them at the end of their careers. The question then is signing such a player a good idea compared to signing players like Thornley or the winger from London neither of whom, given their ages, will have any improvement in them?
The point I’m making which you clearly missed is that our signings were being compared to Saints signings. Not by me, not by you, by another poster. Overall the Saints fans feel they have weakened their squad for next year. This remains to be seen and doesn’t make our signings any better or any weaker, but we shouldn’t be looking at them as the benchmark for signings at this moment in time.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS