Wigan squad to face Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Wigan squad to face Leeds

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:35 pm
Wintergreen wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:26 pm
If SE is referring to Shaun Edwards how can it be his fault three seasons down the line from that debacle?

If Lam is out of his depth it’s all down to IL for keeping him in post.
SE is indeed Shaun Edwards.

Lam was only ever supposed to be a temporary fix a "throw it about, play an entertaining style and keep the fans entertained with rugby, if not trophies" until Shaun Edwards takes over next year.

After the shambles that ensued, Lam was given the job full time.

The whole saga prevented us from appointing a decent coach to replace Wane and ultimately has led to our current position.
That’s the sequence of events but the fault lies with IL. It was his fault he didn’t get Edwards to sign a contract but once Edwards knocked back the offer the decision to continue with Lam for that season and then crucially beyond on this ludicrous one year rolling contract basis was IL’s.
I think we agree that the fault was with IL. It's a business at the end of the day.

SE went back on his word. which demeans his character and has led us to our current situation. That should not be forgotten, but if IL had done his job properly, would never have been allowed to happen.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Gildart was awful. That try they ran in down their right wing; what was he doing? I thought Marshall tried hard (he still seems to make more post-contact metres than most of our forwards, and he is the smallest guy in the team), and as I said upthread, Hastings deserves a medal. Even if he didn't have the greatest game, which he didn't.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:49 pm Gildart was awful. That try they ran in down their right wing; what was he doing? I thought Marshall tried hard (he still seems to make more post-contact metres than most of our forwards, and he is the smallest guy in the team), and as I said upthread, Hastings deserves a medal. Even if he didn't have the greatest game, which he didn't.
you should have watched him from the stands moto…… his body language was clearly of a player that wasnt interested……. Ill admit i was also wrong about zak at centre…he was snatching at tackles and has clearly got issues somewhere…… after wigan dragged him out the gutter he played well at first…… he then( so called) started demanding the fb position and then lost the plot after giving it big pre hull game….. he them head butted tomkins for no apparent reason….. next thing his ban leads to a follow on injury( meanwhile hes had time to streak his implants and move house) then hes moaning about travel…… i feel ashamed i protected him on here from all the doubters…….. sorry im on one but i would totally ban any nrl returns and any player that pre signs with another club from now on…… we are wigan and want players with there hearts 100% into our club
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Pbickerstaff

Post by Pbickerstaff »

Not lams fault , bollocks
Why wasn’t club , Clarke and bullock not playing tonight
Cos he has fallen out with them????
We need them to play simple
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

w.thomas wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:28 pm Usual rubbish from us but I can’t stand fans booing. Just don’t agree with it, think it’s in poor taste. Some of them players are giving it 100% so I don’t think that’s fair. If IL sticks with lam after this he needs his head testing. Retro game! I bet most fans would give a leg to get us playing like a team from the past.
I feel the same. No matter we lose games they’re getting knocked about for 80 minutes & do not deserve to be booed.

I always clap the players off. #HappyClapper 🤪😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:06 pm
w.thomas wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:28 pm Usual rubbish from us but I can’t stand fans booing. Just don’t agree with it, think it’s in poor taste. Some of them players are giving it 100% so I don’t think that’s fair. If IL sticks with lam after this he needs his head testing. Retro game! I bet most fans would give a leg to get us playing like a team from the past.
I feel the same. No matter we lose games they’re getting knocked about for 80 minutes & do not deserve to be booed.

While I agree the players deserve plaudits if people all stayed and clapped them the management would think everything is fine.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:43 pm
Wintergreen wrote:
SE is indeed Shaun Edwards.

Lam was only ever supposed to be a temporary fix a "throw it about, play an entertaining style and keep the fans entertained with rugby, if not trophies" until Shaun Edwards takes over next year.

The whole saga prevented us from appointing a decent coach to replace Wane and ultimately has led to our current position.
That’s the sequence of events but the fault lies with IL. It was his fault he didn’t get Edwards to sign a contract but once Edwards knocked back the offer the decision to continue with Lam for that season and then crucially beyond on this ludicrous one year rolling contract basis was IL’s.
I think we agree that the fault was with IL. It's a business at the end of the day.

SE went back on his word. which demeans his character and has led us to our current situation. That should not be forgotten, but if IL had done his job properly, would never have been allowed to happen.
As we see every year a contract would have meant nothing,
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:57 pm you should have watched him from the stands moto……
No, I shouldn't! The second half down the pub was painful enough! :lol:
Last edited by moto748 on Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:06 pm

Same here,I’ll never boo them though I must admit I came close tonight,still nice chips on the way back to the car from the chippie van lightened my mood
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: SE is indeed Shaun Edwards.

Edwards certainly does not come out of this well and it’s tarnished his reputation. He was possibly may favourite player of that era due to his utter dedication to the job and the way he approached coaching in RU (something he’d no experience of beforehand) left me with high hopes he’d be a success here.

I saw him sat in the East Stand making notes before the original announcement.

However once he’d walked away it was up to IL to deal with the fall out. Edwards influence on events ended as soon as he walked away and everything since has nothing to do with him.