Wigan squad to face Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: Wigan squad to face Leeds

Post by widdenoldboy »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:08 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:06 pm
w.thomas wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:28 pm Usual rubbish from us but I can’t stand fans booing. Just don’t agree with it, think it’s in poor taste. Some of them players are giving it 100% so I don’t think that’s fair. If IL sticks with lam after this he needs his head testing. Retro game! I bet most fans would give a leg to get us playing like a team from the past.
I feel the same. No matter we lose games they’re getting knocked about for 80 minutes & do not deserve to be booed.

I always clap the players off. #HappyClapper 🤪😂
While I agree the players deserve plaudits if people all stayed and clapped them the management would think everything is fine.
On the face of it, thats a ridiculous statement to make, on reflection, you are almost certainly correct!
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Struggling to know where to start! I don't really subscribe to the idea that the players aren't trying but clearly there is no fluency, everything looks slow and forced, we have no dummy runners, no off the ball movement, no guile and because we can't break a down a defence with ball in hand we have to resort to speculative kicks.

Clearly the confidence and belief of the players is absolutely shot to pieces and we are going through the same ineffective motions week after week.

There are no doubt longer term issues but in the short term, as we can't change the playing staff, we have to change the coaching staff, even if it's a short-term fix, just to try to rebuild some belief, enthusiasm and confidence and freshen up the approach. I'm assuming the dressing room and training pitch is a pretty sombre and demoralised place at the moment with the lads dreading the next episode of 'where's the tryline'!
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:58 pm Struggling to know where to start! I don't really subscribe to the idea that the players aren't trying but clearly there is no fluency, everything looks slow and forced, we have no dummy runners, no off the ball movement, no guile and because we can't break a down a defence with ball in hand we have to resort to speculative kicks.

Clearly the confidence and belief of the players is absolutely shot to pieces and we are going through the same ineffective motions week after week.

There are no doubt longer term issues but in the short term, as we can't change the playing staff, we have to change the coaching staff, even if it's a short-term fix, just to try to rebuild some belief, enthusiasm and confidence and freshen up the approach. I'm assuming the dressing room and training pitch is a pretty sombre and demoralised place at the moment with the lads dreading the next episode of 'where's the tryline'!
Well, we aren't sure but that is all likely.
I noted was our lack of line-speed - contrast that with Leeds who were able to pick out our moves and one player rushed out to kill that play and force mistakes.
Our go forward is shot to pieces with players getting isolated.
Hicks made some odd calls but Leeds were on the end of some of them and had two yellows.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Both teams awful, ref terrible giving two sin bins that weren't even penalties and missing a red card totally, and a very boring game to watch. The games got to change because this is the standard experience at a RL game these days.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:04 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:00 pm Field?
Gildart?
Bateman?
NRL standard players?
Gildart will get bullied over there. No doubt about it. Thats if he makes the squad.
Won't get a game

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Long walk back to the Premier Inn with only a bag of chips for company :lol: never mind it can only get better . Wonder what the chips are like in Cas . Only one way to find out . See you Monday in Castleford :D

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

So, what did we learn last night?
That Field is not a full-back. (Where he plays is a bit of a worry because he seemed to be baffled when he caught the ball from drop-outs or kicks by Leeds.)
That Bourouh should be politely thanked and sent early to Salford
That Oliver Gildart should be thanked for all his past class performances and allowed to go early to Australia
That Joe Shorrocks has real talent but needs heavy coaching (probably not available at Wigan) in passing
That Zak needs to be full-back
That JB can no longer take on sides on his own and should be told that
That Havard and Smithies still have the potential to succeed but Byrne does not at Wigan and the jury's still very much out on Partington
That KPP has undoubted talent and potential but should be rested or we will burn him out
That Hastings needs to be replaced by a player coming in and not by one on the current staff
That we think every match is the worst until the next one
That Hicks is not competent

And finally - that nothing will change until everything changes
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:34 am So, what did we learn last night?
That Field is not a full-back. (Where he plays is a bit of a worry because he seemed to be baffled when he caught the ball from drop-outs or kicks by Leeds.)
That Bourouh should be politely thanked and sent early to Salford
That Oliver Gildart should be thanked for all his past class performances and allowed to go early to Australia
That Joe Shorrocks has real talent but needs heavy coaching (probably not available at Wigan) in passing
That Zak needs to be full-back
That JB can no longer take on sides on his own and should be told that
That Havard and Smithies still have the potential to succeed but Byrne does not at Wigan and the jury's still very much out on Partington
That KPP has undoubted talent and potential but should be rested or we will burn him out
That Hastings needs to be replaced by a player coming in and not by one on the current staff
That we think every match is the worst until the next one
That Hicks is not competent

And finally - that nothing will change until everything changes
Agree with a lot of that. I would add that the one size fits all policy does not work. Sadly the club has taken too long to see this situation building over the last few years. Where was the planning for the end of the O'loughin era?
We allowed ourselves to believe that a whole cohort of juniors would step up at the same time which is almost unheard of. We tried to use a few high profile signings to add the finishing touches but the overall quality and unreadiness of the squad have been obvious for several years.
Wane was sometimes forced to play youngsters because of the injury problems at the time. That worked but it should not be taken as a workable model for the club. We really need someone to draw up a roadmap who has not emotional link to the club and is willing to take some difficult decisions.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

IFL should be making the difficult decisions right now to end this debacle
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

The problem with this squad is that we have players in pivotal positions who for one reason or another fail to create for other players,ie,smithies at loose forward good on defence but I've never seen him pass a ball or make a break,smith appears to be lost and does not create anything,a makeshift hooker who with no fault of he's own is not a pivotal player,a makeshift fullback who does not appear to know what his job is,when you analyse these points we are never going to win another game.these are the main reasons for our inept performances,these points could be ironed out on the training pitch not on match day.These points have been raised by suzies husband who has been a player and a coach and a supporter for many years.