Wigan squad to face Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan squad to face Leeds

Post by fozzieskem »

The main issue is one the served the club well in t he past,the youth system.

It produced gems in the past but currently is just churning out more of the same,Smithees,Partington,Byrne all have either hit their level or are just aimlessly costing along at present,gut feeling is that is their level,we shall see.

Smith should be rested as soon as is humanly possible he simply isn’t ready for the first team,to keep sending him out is unfair,I still hope he will blossom but the more I see of him,and I did see a fair bit of him in the youth set up I have doubts.

The needs a new fresh approach at youth level to try and change it up a bit,look at Saints,they’re kids are pretty good and they offer something which not why can be said about the current crop of Wigan’s youngsters,I have fear about KPP progress the way things are going.

Field..not writing him off by any means but his slight stature is going to cause him trouble frankly with so many clear problems elsewhere in the side why the hell was he signed?

And can someone find the real John Bateman please
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Was just told this afternoon by someone who was sat low down in the South Stand that Lockers was really giving it to the players behind the sticks! Must be bad if he is losing his rag with the players!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:26 pm Was just told this afternoon by someone who was sat low down in the South Stand that Lockers was really giving it to the players behind the sticks! Must be bad if he is losing his rag with the players!
I knew there would be issues when Lockers hung up his boots but not this bad,why was no plan in place for him going?

Ridiculous really I know players such as him do t come along often but to just drift along as he headed into retirement was madness
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:52 pm
josie andrews wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:26 pm Was just told this afternoon by someone who was sat low down in the South Stand that Lockers was really giving it to the players behind the sticks! Must be bad if he is losing his rag with the players!
I knew there would be issues when Lockers hung up his boots but not this bad,why was no plan in place for him going?

Ridiculous really I know players such as him do t come along often but to just drift along as he headed into retirement was madness
What specifically would you have liked the club to have done?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

It would take more than Lockers to sort this mess out the only coach that would lift my enthusiasm would be Maquire coming back
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:52 pm

I think that’s why Lockers carried on playing as long as he did! There was no plan in place to take over from him.

Think they thought Smithies was the next Lockers but I think he’s more of a prop, or second row.

Shorrocks trains regularly with Lockers, & is probably a better option than Smithies, but you don’t become like him, Lockers, in a pre season & a pandemic! It will take a year or two & this should have been put in place at least three years ago IMO.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

There is a knock on effect from Lockers’ retirement - we can “afford” a 9 who neither runs nor creates anything if we have a 13 who can create. Absent that, and absent any go forward or off loads from the props, the halves and second rows get rubbish ball with defenders already on them. And the result is everyone looks hopeless.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Any one know what the crowd was yesterday
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

ddtftf wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:07 pm Any one know what the crowd was yesterday
Just over 11,000
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:41 pm The main issue is one the served the club well in t he past,the youth system.

It produced gems in the past but currently is just churning out more of the same,Smithees,Partington,Byrne all have either hit their level or are just aimlessly costing along at present,gut feeling is that is their level,we shall see.

Smith should be rested as soon as is humanly possible he simply isn’t ready for the first team,to keep sending him out is unfair,I still hope he will blossom but the more I see of him,and I did see a fair bit of him in the youth set up I have doubts.

The needs a new fresh approach at youth level to try and change it up a bit,look at Saints,they’re kids are pretty good and they offer something which not why can be said about the current crop of Wigan’s youngsters,I have fear about KPP progress the way things are going.

Field..not writing him off by any means but his slight stature is going to cause him trouble frankly with so many clear problems elsewhere in the side why the hell was he signed?

And can someone find the real John Bateman please
I don’t think any of the three young players you named have hit their peak yet. What worried me yesterday was the effort put in by the likes of Hardaker and Gildart, it simply wasn’t anywhere near good enough.

I agree about Bateman and I am also concerned about Faz’s form as well. However, the biggest problem is that we are not a team and consequently nobody is likely to shine.