Fans Forum Next Tuesday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Fans Forum Next Tuesday

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun1967 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:47 pm Does anyone know if you can collect a ticket for someone else or does everyone have to turn up to collect?
I’m collecting for a friend if allowed.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:57 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:42 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:26 pm Id be questioning the lack of ambition if anything, why have we accepted mediocrity and stuck with a coach who is clearly not performing.

Why we seem to be reliant on old heads coming back and the jobs for the boys culture.

Why announcements aren't made within a reasonable timescale (Do they already know fans will object to said announcements - Thornley) If that is the case, why are we signing players we know are substandard (That would be a good one to ask if they say they still have ambition to win trophies)
I mean you just summed up some issues the club face.

You have no idea how wekl Thornley would do for us, he went alright at catalan and making a judgement based of leigh is like deciding if a player is any good by watching Wigan play at the moment.

Fans have their own view of if a player is good enough not based of stats but their own belief as I don't very few actually sit and watch every game they play at other clubs.

People moaned about not getting NRL props, we get two and already people are finding reasons for them to fail.

Even with Thornley who stats don't back up the random complaints as players change a new coach would do wonders.
The idea a new coach will revitalise Thornley is fanciful in my opinion. A player of his age has precisely zero amount of improvement left in him. What you see is what you will get and this is a poor signing.

I am not sure where this idea he played well for Cats comes from either. He was only there 2017-18 playing 38 games and didn't feature in the CC winning side.

What amazes me is if he'd signed for a club like Wakefield no one on here would bat an eye and if they had any opinion at all it would be of a mid table standard player moving to a mid table club. If Wire or Saints had signed him people would laugh. Yet when he gets here, he's going to turn into the player he's never been.

As to this signing and the fans forum, the question that IL & Rads have to answer is why are the likes of Saints signing the likes of Hopogate who is also 29 while we get Thornley? Do we actually have any scouting going on?

If you are going to sign a back of that age sign one who has proved to be a top class player not one who never did.

Not saying he's going to suddenly become amazing, more as usual because he's not a NRL player he's been written off before he's played a game.

And if you wouldn't bat an eyelid with him signing for another SL team you shouldn't for Wigan, we all have the same Cap to spend (bar leigh)

I'm not going to pick Thornley as a hill to stand on but give the player a chance.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:36 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:18 pm Good,a positive move by the club so long as honest questions are asked and not a room full of apologists for the current state of the club.

A cold hard look is clearly needed at the club and the last thing is needed is soft questions.
Questions? Why do they need to be asked questions? They must be deaf and blind if they don't know what the fans concerns are.

The question I'd really like to ask which to them might be one that isn't so obvious as they seem to live in a dream world in this regard which is about the seeming lack of a culture of constant improvement where instead of giving players who are either past it (e.g. Clubb) or not good enough (e.g. Powell) new contracts the club doesn't seek to constantly improve?

I am sure the answer would be related to the salary cap but I can't believe better players than these two have not been available within budget constraints over the time they have been here, which would be my response.
Well questions will be needed I expect because it’d be quiet without them.

But I suspect it’ll be the easy ones that will receive an answer and the more testing questions will be ignored or dumbed down.
DaveO

Fans Forum Next Tuesday

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:If anyone has any specific questions & aren’t or can’t attend please let me know & I will ask them for you [emoji4]
Well you can guess mine from my post above. Why don’t we constantly seek to improve instead of offering older or average players new contracts. You don’t have to mention my examples of Clubb and Powell if you don’t want to offend the players…
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:42 pm I mean you just summed up some issues the club face.

You have no idea how wekl Thornley would do for us, he went alright at catalan and making a judgement based of leigh is like deciding if a player is any good by watching Wigan play at the moment.

Fans have their own view of if a player is good enough not based of stats but their own belief as I don't very few actually sit and watch every game they play at other clubs.

People moaned about not getting NRL props, we get two and already people are finding reasons for them to fail.

Even with Thornley who stats don't back up the random complaints as players change a new coach would do wonders.
The idea a new coach will revitalise Thornley is fanciful in my opinion. A player of his age has precisely zero amount of improvement left in him. What you see is what you will get and this is a poor signing.

I am not sure where this idea he played well for Cats comes from either. He was only there 2017-18 playing 38 games and didn't feature in the CC winning side.

What amazes me is if he'd signed for a club like Wakefield no one on here would bat an eye and if they had any opinion at all it would be of a mid table standard player moving to a mid table club. If Wire or Saints had signed him people would laugh. Yet when he gets here, he's going to turn into the player he's never been.

As to this signing and the fans forum, the question that IL & Rads have to answer is why are the likes of Saints signing the likes of Hopogate who is also 29 while we get Thornley? Do we actually have any scouting going on?

If you are going to sign a back of that age sign one who has proved to be a top class player not one who never did.

Not saying he's going to suddenly become amazing, more as usual because he's not a NRL player he's been written off before he's played a game.

And if you wouldn't bat an eyelid with him signing for another SL team you shouldn't for Wigan, we all have the same Cap to spend (bar leigh)

I'm not going to pick Thornley as a hill to stand on but give the player a chance.
He’s being written off because he’s not very good. Not because he’s not an NRL player.

I think you must have misunderstood why I said no one would bat an eye at him signing for another club like Wakefield . It’s because no one would care because he’s not very good. I do bat an eye when Wigan sign such a player for same reason, i.e. he’s not very good.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

The way Gildart has been playing this season adding to being battered sensless in Oz would cause me to think long and hard before resigning him.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

He won't be battered senseless cos he won't get the first team game time unless he improves drastically.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:42 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:26 pm Id be questioning the lack of ambition if anything, why have we accepted mediocrity and stuck with a coach who is clearly not performing.

Why we seem to be reliant on old heads coming back and the jobs for the boys culture.

Why announcements aren't made within a reasonable timescale (Do they already know fans will object to said announcements - Thornley) If that is the case, why are we signing players we know are substandard (That would be a good one to ask if they say they still have ambition to win trophies)
I mean you just summed up some issues the club face.

Whilst I don’t think Thornley is a very inspiring signing, I’m not sure Saints are setting the benchmark.
You just have to take a look on RedVee to see how underwhelmed they all are with the signing of Hopoate. Throw into the mix the reported signing of Hurrell on a multi-year deal and there isn’t much positivity about next season.
Also, what happened to Saints signings being irrelevant in comparison to ours?

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-21390886
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

As i announced earlier Hurrell has announced he is going to St Helens 2022
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ddtftf wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:55 pm As i announced earlier Hurrell has announced he is going to St Helens 2022
There is a thread on the General Forum re Hurrell signing for Saints 🙂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan