Fans Forum Next Tuesday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Lumbernator

Re: Fans Forum Next Tuesday

Post by Lumbernator »

To many questions and not enough time in that meeting. We all have so many issues with the team and direction the club is going, having seen the decline over the years even when we had a decent manager and experienced pack it was the kicker for me that started the ball rolling with getting mad about it. How has this never been addressed since Richards left? If the opposition score a try we need two just to get 2 points Infront. This for me was the start. Even my statement is getting tougher because were lucky if we even score tries now so I retract all that we don't need the kicker.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Won't be able to go but I'm sure the meeting will address the matter of the team's decline since Waney lifted the GF trophy in 2018 which was his last game as head coach.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I’ve made a note of a couple of questions, whether I get to ask them is another matter!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

We need to be clever about the question asked to not get politicians answers.

How about

“Do the club accept that the re-signing of players & promoting staff from within has coincided with a reduction in playing quality & squad quality” and is the club aware that fans are disgruntled by the “jobs for the boys” culture.

“Why have the club not announced extended contracts of Isa, Bibby and Powell and the signing of Thornley” and why do the club often make announcements weeks or months later than when many fans are aware?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Is there a reason for constantly downgrading our staff?

In the last 10 years we have lost Maguire, Wane, Bitcon, Harris, Deacon and replaced them with Lam, Winder, Peet, Paul Johnson and who knows who else.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

It’s funny I looked on the red vee forum the other day and the amount of their posters comparing our current issues with how they felt under kfc

That might be a good way to frame the jobs for the boys culture as saints were giving ex players roles and re signing “mates” their fortunes have completely turned since they did away with that
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Shaun1967 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:57 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:42 pm I mean you just summed up some issues the club face.

You have no idea how wekl Thornley would do for us, he went alright at catalan and making a judgement based of leigh is like deciding if a player is any good by watching Wigan play at the moment.

Fans have their own view of if a player is good enough not based of stats but their own belief as I don't very few actually sit and watch every game they play at other clubs.

People moaned about not getting NRL props, we get two and already people are finding reasons for them to fail.

Even with Thornley who stats don't back up the random complaints as players change a new coach would do wonders.
The idea a new coach will revitalise Thornley is fanciful in my opinion. A player of his age has precisely zero amount of improvement left in him. What you see is what you will get and this is a poor signing.

I am not sure where this idea he played well for Cats comes from either. He was only there 2017-18 playing 38 games and didn't feature in the CC winning side.

What amazes me is if he'd signed for a club like Wakefield no one on here would bat an eye and if they had any opinion at all it would be of a mid table standard player moving to a mid table club. If Wire or Saints had signed him people would laugh. Yet when he gets here, he's going to turn into the player he's never been.

As to this signing and the fans forum, the question that IL & Rads have to answer is why are the likes of Saints signing the likes of Hopogate who is also 29 while we get Thornley? Do we actually have any scouting going on?

If you are going to sign a back of that age sign one who has proved to be a top class player not one who never did.
Whilst I don’t think Thornley is a very inspiring signing, I’m not sure Saints are setting the benchmark.
You just have to take a look on RedVee to see how underwhelmed they all are with the signing of Hopoate. Throw into the mix the reported signing of Hurrell on a multi-year deal and there isn’t much positivity about next season.
Also, what happened to Saints signings being irrelevant in comparison to ours?

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-21390886
I long since stopped going on redvee. Far too strange a place.

As to comparisons the thread mentioned above my point in that was we need to be concerned about if Wigan have signed in the past or are signing quality players and if Saints made some equally bad signings that is not relevant. However if Wigan sign Thornley for 2022 and another club sign a better centre (which I think Hopogate is) we need to know why.