John Bateman’s ban for ‘foul and abusive language’ overturned

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

John Bateman’s ban for ‘foul and abusive language’ overturned

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors second-rower John Bateman has been found Not Guilty of a Grade A disputing the decision of the referee in their recent defeat to St Helens.

Bateman had originally been handed a one-match penalty notice by the Match Review Panel but pleaded Not Guilty to the offence. An Independent Tribunal found Bateman Not Guilty.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/john-bat ... ned-42472/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: John Bateman’s ban for ‘foul and abusive language’ overturned

Post by Firestarter »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:19 pm https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... an-3358479

A bit of good news at last.
Hopefully he wont be centre though…. Stick zak there please
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Good news he’s free to play but another example of the farce that is the disciplinary system.

Presumably the ref saw fit to sin bin him for something and unless the original match review panel completely made it up he disputed the decision they must have banned him because the refs report said he did.

So how can he be not guilty of something that is as black and white as this?

Don’t get me wrong I think the ban and even the sin bin was OTT given what went on. Maybe the review panel thought the same and this was the only way to get the ban overturned but whatever their reasoning they have basically said the match review panel and the ref were imagining things.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The thing about Bateman is, he does himself no favours with referees. Like Jake Connor, he's never going to get the benefit of the doubt.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:02 am Good news he’s free to play but another example of the farce that is the disciplinary system.

Presumably the ref saw fit to sin bin him for something and unless the original match review panel completely made it up he disputed the decision they must have banned him because the refs report said he did.

Don’t get me wrong I think the ban and even the sin bin was OTT given what went on. Maybe the review panel thought the same and this was the only way to get the ban overturned but whatever their reasoning they have basically said the match review panel and the ref were imagining things.
Or could it be that the sin binning was enough?

I mean Batemans first yellow was because he came together with Bentley after the tap to the head, no punches just coming together.. how many players have seen yellow for that before?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

To me it’s black and white for once a situation that either needed a ban or didn’t and proof that the panel simply isn’t working for all their A4 sized reports of what went on,there shouldn’t be room for an appeal in this case if the system was working.

Did Bateman deserve a ban for this no of course not but maybe for dissent a red card on the night should have been used,while I thought Kendall was abysmal the other night you don’t backchat the ref.

The whole panel and the way they look at incidents isn’t fit for purpose as it gets more bizarre as the weeks wear on,to me backchatting the ref with swearing no matter how justified (and it was the other night)it has to be dealt with,this isn’t football
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

That was a shame.

Pathetic again.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:02 am Good news he’s free to play but another example of the farce that is the disciplinary system.

Or could it be that the sin binning was enough?

I mean Batemans first yellow was because he came together with Bentley after the tap to the head, no punches just coming together.. how many players have seen yellow for that before?
The review panel found him Not Guilty. So by that score he shouldn’t even have been sin binned!

The point I am making is this ought to be a black & white issue. He either slagged the ref off or he didn’t. The ref said he did and the original match review panel then issued a ban (which was excessive anyway but that isn’t the point). The review panel, by fining him Not Guilty said he didn’t. It’s crazy.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I thought the claim was that he said it, not not directed at the ref?