Farrell: Let’s make things right

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Farrell: Let’s make things right

Post by josie andrews »

Liam Farrell previews Wigan’s Betfred Super League clash with Leeds Rhinos.

Farrell: “There’s a bit of pressure on both sides going into it, but we’re ready.”

Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos, Wednesday 25th August, DW Stadium, 7:45pm K.O. Get your tickets NOW!

If Wigan Warriors ‘stick to what they know’ on Wednesday night they will give themselves the chance to take control and win the game, says stalwart Liam Farrell.

The Cherry and Whites face Leeds Rhinos at the DW Stadium where they will look to get their 2021 Betfred Super League season back on track after two recent disappointing defeats against Hull KR and St Helens.

This week, the Warrior second rower was vocal about needing to improve on their recent form.

“We need to stick to what we know works,” he said. “It seems that discipline and errors are costing us at the minute – that showed massively at the weekend against St Helens. The penalty count was 9-to-1 in the second half, it was obvious to see that a lot of players got frustrated and giving away penalties which is not acceptable at all.

We’ve got to make that right, and we need to keep hold of the ball as well. Especially against a team like Leeds, we have to complete high, so they are areas we’re focusing on fixing up as a definite. They seem very simple, but if we work on that then we’re giving ourselves a chance in the game.”

Wigan and Leeds are set to meet for a second time in 2021 – the first coming in April where the Warriors ran out 19-6 winners at Emerald Headingley Stadium.

“I think Leeds are going to come with a lot of enthusiasm,” Farrell stated. “They know what is at stake for them, we do too, so it’s a big game – it could define the rest of our season. There’s a bit of pressure on both sides going into it, but we’re ready.

“We’ve had a few disappointing results the last few weeks, but we’re looking to make things right. We’re under no illusions that Leeds are a tough pack, they cause teams a lot of problems with their running threat but we’ll look forward to it.”

Farrell sits in a shared leadership and captaincy role with Sam Powell, following the announcement that captain Thomas Leuluai is out for the season.

The 31-year-old spoke about his role in the team: “I’ve always been a big believer that you’ve got to focus on your own game. I’ve had some great leaders in front of me who have not always been the most vocal leaders but they’ve always led by their actions so I am hoping to do the same and lead by example. Unfortunately, on Friday it didn’t go the way I wanted it to captaining a Derby game, but I’m hoping to fix that on Wednesday night.”

The Warriors face a short turnaround this week having played on Friday evening before meeting Leeds this Wednesday.

Farrell said: “We’ve reviewed the game and made sure that bodies have recovered to get everyone ready in time. There isn’t much we can fit into the short turnaround that we’ve got so we’ve just got to make sure we’re ready for the challenge, fix up the areas we highlighted in review and hopefully we can get them right ready to face Leeds.”

Wigan’s No.12 added: “We let a lot of people down on Friday night, we’re hoping that the crowd can turn up and get behind us again and we can give them the performance they deserve to see. It’s been a tough couple of weeks but we’re determined to put a good performance in and get the crowd behind us.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/08/ ... ngs-right/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Farrell: Let’s make things right

Post by josie andrews »

Lam previews Leeds

Head coach previews Wednesday’s game against Leeds Rhinos.

Lam: “The presser cooker is on and I guess what’s when you see your best players and play your best rugby.”

Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos, Wednesday 25th August, DW Stadium, 7:45pm K.O. Get your tickets NOW!

Adrian Lam says cohesion within the Wigan team is crucial heading into the final games of the regular 2021 Betfred Super League campaign.

The Warriors are looking to respond and get back to winning ways on Wednesday as they host Leeds Rhinos, following two defeats against Hull KR and St Helens.

Speaking to the press this week, the boss says improving combinations and the fluency within the team has been a key focus.

“It doesn’t get any easier,” Lam said. “Playing these games is where we want to be we just need to find some cohesion with the position changes and combinations.

“Throughout the season with the number of players getting injured and changes within the team, it’s been a tough challenge. Now we are getting players back we can look to improve those combinations and that cohesion.”

After last Friday’s loss to local rivals St Helens, Lam admits the pressure is on for the Warriors to bounce back and also improve on their discipline, after there were three sin-bins in the defeat.

He said: “It was deeply disappointing last week. The ill-discipline certainly hurt us and it’s not who we want to be. There’s been a focus on not letting that happen again.

It’s a very important result for us on Wednesday. The presser cooker is on and I guess what’s when you see your best players and play your best rugby.”

“There will be a few re-shuffles this week. I’m looking forward to the players bouncing back this week.

“I have total belief in the players – I express that to them. I trust we will get it sorted and we will get it right and be in when it counts most.”

Wigan’s squad this week has been boosted with the return of Brad Singleton, who is back after his three-match ban. Lam spoke about Singleton in Monday’s press conference and also mentioned Jai Field, who missed out last week due to picking up a slight knock.

Singleton coming back will help us and we just have to decide on Jai field.

“Singleton’s inclusion brings us a lot of experience and I am sure he will lift the boys – against his old club too.”

Next up for the Warriors is Leeds Rhinos in Retro Round at the DW Stadium on Wednesday 25th August (7:45pm K.O.). All ticket prices revert back to 1995 when the Club was based at Central Park and it costs just £10 for Adults (Over-16s) and only £5 for Under-16s.

Get your tickets now by clicking HERE, by heading down to the DW Stadium Ticket Office (open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) or by calling 01942 311111.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/08/ ... s-leeds-4/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:14 pm Lam previews Leeds

Head coach previews Wednesday’s game against Leeds Rhinos.

Lam: “The presser cooker is on and I guess what’s when you see your best players and play your best rugby.”

Adrian Lam says cohesion within the Wigan team is crucial heading into the final games of the regular 2021 Betfred Super League campaign.

The Warriors are looking to respond and get back to winning ways on Wednesday as they host Leeds Rhinos, following two defeats against Hull KR and St Helens.

Speaking to the press this week, the boss says improving combinations and the fluency within the team has been a key focus.

“It doesn’t get any easier,” Lam said. “Playing these games is where we want to be we just need to find some cohesion with the position changes and combinations.

“Throughout the season with the number of players getting injured and changes within the team, it’s been a tough challenge. Now we are getting players back we can look to improve those combinations and that cohesion.”

After last Friday’s loss to local rivals St Helens, Lam admits the pressure is on for the Warriors to bounce back and also improve on their discipline, after there were three sin-bins in the defeat.

He said: “It was deeply disappointing last week. The ill-discipline certainly hurt us and it’s not who we want to be. There’s been a focus on not letting that happen again.

It’s a very important result for us on Wednesday. The presser cooker is on and I guess what’s when you see your best players and play your best rugby.”

“There will be a few re-shuffles this week. I’m looking forward to the players bouncing back this week.

“I have total belief in the players – I express that to them. I trust we will get it sorted and we will get it right and be in when it counts most.”

Wigan’s squad this week has been boosted with the return of Brad Singleton, who is back after his three-match ban. Lam spoke about Singleton in Monday’s press conference and also mentioned Jai Field, who missed out last week due to picking up a slight knock.

Singleton coming back will help us and we just have to decide on Jai field.

“Singleton’s inclusion brings us a lot of experience and I am sure he will lift the boys – against his old club too.”

Next up for the Warriors is Leeds Rhinos in Retro Round at the DW Stadium on Wednesday 25th August (7:45pm K.O.). All ticket prices revert back to 1995 when the Club was based at Central Park and it costs just £10 for Adults (Over-16s) and only £5 for Under-16s.

Get your tickets now by clicking HERE, by heading down to the DW Stadium Ticket Office (open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) or by calling 01942 311111.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/08/ ... s-leeds-4/
thats the bit that worries me most, unless he is bringing some experience back into the pack ie singleton, bullock and clark and try to keep the backs as settled as possible, with obviously Isa to be replaced at centre, but hoping he uses one of our backs and not a 2nd row to cover.

I would go with 1 of 2 options, Zak at centre and Field at FB unless he trusts Halsall / Hanley and keep Zak at FB with Field on the bench

but the re-shuffling sounds like we could have anyone playing anywhere
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

If we lose tonight we won’t make the top 6. Which would make the fans forum interesting next week. IL and KR might have wished that they had not called one.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think we have very difficult fixtures remaining this season. Not a nice thought, relaying on other teams to help us secure a top 6 spot!