Adrian Lam to leave Wigan at the end of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Adrian Lam to leave Wigan at the end of the season

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors confirm that Adrian Lam will leave the Club at the end of the 2021 season.

Lam won the League Leaders’ Shield and the Super League Coach of the Year award in 2020.

Chairman, Ian Lenagan, said: “Adrian should be really proud of his three years in charge of Wigan Warriors. After initially being appointed on a one-year contract, Adrian earned two more years and won the League Leaders’ trophy, coming agonisingly close to winning the Super League Grand Final in 2020.

“We are proud to have offered Adrian his first full-time Head Coaching job and we believe his experience at Wigan, including the difficult Covid and lockdown period, will lead on to even greater things for him in Rugby League.

“Adrian joins a select group who have won trophies and represented Wigan successfully as a player and Head Coach and we will always hold him in high regard.

“We will now take some time to review the season and the current staffing structures and make an announcement on his replacement in due course.”

Adrian Lam said: “This is my second time at this great Club, my first being as a player then Academy Coach and this time as Head Coach. I have loved every moment along this journey and will hold close to my heart some wonderful moments and memories.

“The people of Wigan have always made me feel like one of their own and that is why I love this town so much.

“I feel it’s the right time to pursue other opportunities and will leave at the end of this current 2021 season.

“I would like to thank all of the players, the Club and the coaching staff who have been magnificent as part of the journey – I can’t thank them enough. I would also like to thank all our fans for their continued support. I wish the Club all the success in the future and I’ll be watching and supporting the team from afar.

“I have had three great years here and this season is not over yet. Through the difficult time of Covid, my highlight would be winning the League Leaders’ Shield and getting to the Grand Final where we came so close. Winning Super League Coach of the Year last year was also a personal highlight.

“This season has been difficult with injuries, but as I’ve always said I have belief in this squad. I love and trust the players and I know when we get to the Play-Offs in good shape, we can do anything and get the rewards we deserve.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/08/ ... ave-wigan/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Last night saved him, he was so so close to getting the boot immediately. This announcement was meant to be made prior to the bank holiday weekend like I said but it was delayed in case the club had to take drastic action.

No doubt he tried his best, it just wasn't good enough.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Two years too late.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I know it’s time for Lammy to leave but still gutted for him as he has had a mountain to climb in his time here

1) following on from Wane
2) the Edwards debacle
3) Covid
4) injuries
5) lack of support from the club re signing of players.

Don’t forget he has sacrificed being with his family back home in Oz to stay here.

I would like to wish him the very best of luck for his future whatever he chooses to do, & hope we can give him the send off he deserves.

Thank you Lammy 😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Sensible decision to announce it before the meeting tonight. It wouldn't have been fair on Lammy to announce it tonight. My overiding emotion is one of relief. He's done his best and went very close to winning the grand final last season. Best of luck to him in the future.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:17 pm I know it’s time for Lammy to leave but still gutted for him as he has had a mountain to climb in his time here

1) following on from Wane
2) the Edwards debacle
3) Covid
4) injuries
5) lack of support from the club re signing of players.

Don’t forget he has sacrificed being with his family back home in Oz to stay here.

I would like to wish him the very best of luck for his future whatever he chooses to do, & hope we can give him the send off he deserves.

Thank you Lammy 😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️
+1
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

There is a god. Wish it was immediate. Not that it would make much difference now
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:54 pm Last night saved him, he was so so close to getting the boot immediately. This announcement was meant to be made prior to the bank holiday weekend like I said but it was delayed in case the club had to take drastic action.

No doubt he tried his best, it just wasn't good enough.
Any idea who would have stepped in if he had been sacked yesterday dan?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I can't and won't dislike him personally but sadly, he was never the right choice as coach and candidly, he was out of his depth.
Please IL - don't make the same mistake. The Team needs a recognised coach with tactical awareness and plans.
How that works with SW at the club - who knows? I have a bit of a worry that there will be an internal appointment which will come to grief and see SW take the reins again mid-season.