Adrian Lam to leave Wigan at the end of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Adrian Lam to leave Wigan at the end of the season

Post by DaveO »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:18 pm Superb player and excellent seasons in 2019 and 2020! Has no doubt been a testing season and I imagine many are delighted at this.

I didn't see the game yesterday, as other have posted, not many nil Cas at Wheldon Road! Can only hope we discover form now and really push in.tne playoffs! As Singo said, he's been involved in an environment winning from 5th before!

Let's wait to see who's appointed for next season!🤞
2019 was not an excellent season. Knocked out of the cup again and we lost 40-10 to Saints in the playoffs and then eliminated by losing 4-28 at home to Salford with Lam coached off the park. He should have been sacked then.

2020 was better in that we won the LLS (not that currently anyone cares about that) but was characterised by a lot of ground out wins and of course ultimately we were not successful.

The Cas game was two very poor teams offering up a dour game. If there is an improvement in form from here on in I'd not be surprised if the players are happy he's off and are coaching themselves a bit like what happened when Dorahay was here.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:27 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:22 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:19 pm Hopefully tonight will shed some light on the replacements as I'd be worried if it wasn't sorted already
I agree with this, surely must be sorted by now? Can't say I'm inspired if it is Matty Peet though. Who am I to judge though lol 😆.
If it was matty peet it has to be a 1 year rolling contract, however he deserves a chance as much as any NRL assistant, you don't know the style until they are head coach.
Fair point tbf, I think I'm doubting his appointment rather than his ability......if he's going to be a 'yes man' with his hands tied. However, if this is part of the culture going forwards, it could equally apply to any appointed coach I guess. Suppose only time will tell. Just want a consistent season next year with it being our 150th 😃.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:32 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:18 pm Superb player and excellent seasons in 2019 and 2020! Has no doubt been a testing season and I imagine many are delighted at this.

I didn't see the game yesterday, as other have posted, not many nil Cas at Wheldon Road! Can only hope we discover form now and really push in.tne playoffs! As Singo said, he's been involved in an environment winning from 5th before!

2019 was not an excellent season. Knocked out of the cup again and we lost 40-10 to Saints in the playoffs and then eliminated by losing 4-28 at home to Salford with Lam coached off the park. He should have been sacked then.

2020 was better in that we won the LLS (not that currently anyone cares about that) but was characterised by a lot of ground out wins and of course ultimately we were not successful.

The Cas game was two very poor teams offering up a dour game. If there is an improvement in form from here on in I'd not be surprised if the players are happy he's off and are coaching themselves a bit like what happened when Dorahay was here.
I'm not brown-nosing, but I admire your posts DaveO as you actually put weight behind them (any not just this).

We won't agree but, I really think 2019 was a season of transition and after a shakey start, I really think Lam stedied the ship. I think for a coach of his limited experience, he did well as a head coach.

I agree, no one care about the LLS, I think it's hard to achieve this though and for me, the GF was superb (despite the loss). I suppose pipping Stains made it all the better for me lol.

I didn't see Cas, the scoreline painted a picture for me, I did read others posted that Cas didn't exactly have a better!

Apologies if this doesn't make sense, on my third pint of DoomBar (toast to Lammy) :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:19 pm Hopefully tonight will shed some light on the replacements as I'd be worried if it wasn't sorted already
I agree with this, surely must be sorted by now? Can't say I'm inspired if it is Matty Peet though. Who am I to judge though lol 😆.
If it was matty peet it has to be a 1 year rolling contract, however he deserves a chance as much as any NRL assistant, you don't know the style until they are head coach.
One year rolling contract? He's either worth a proper contract of two or three years or he's not the man for the job. Another one year rolling contract would signal the club is not confident he's going to be a success and the last thing we need is someone appointed on a wing and a prayer they hope might work out which is what a rolling contract says. We don't need a "project" as head coach.

As I said elsewhere Peet (or anyone else) doesn't deserve the job just because he's been assistant here. The club (as in IL) needs to appoint who it thinks will be a successful coach. I am with those who think that means it needs to be someone not associated with how things are done at Wigan currently as he undoubtedly is. Hopefully IL thinks the same way.
pedro

Post by pedro »

speaking to a lad who coached at Wigan last year and before and said Peet will be good, no nonsense and will get stuck into them, im hoping he does
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:32 pm

+1
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:47 pm

One year rolling contract? He's either worth a proper contract of two or three years or he's not the man for the job. Another one year rolling contract would signal the club is not confident he's going to be a success and the last thing we need is someone appointed on a wing and a prayer they hope might work out which is what a rolling contract says. We don't need a "project" as head coach.

As I said elsewhere Peet (or anyone else) doesn't deserve the job just because he's been assistant here. The club (as in IL) needs to appoint who it thinks will be a successful coach. I am with those who think that means it needs to be someone not associated with how things are done at Wigan currently as he undoubtedly is. Hopefully IL thinks the same way.
another plus 1, keep going Dave
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wrong man from day one,to allow yourself to have your hands tied there was always going to be an of “caretaker”about him,I also never thought Lenegan would sack him either he’s just not that sort of bloke it seems to me.

That said Lam the player was top drawer but Lam the coach is closer to Kristin Wolfe in terms of style of play and that’s the sad aspect of this we don’t know if (and that’s a big word) Lam could have been a good coach for Wigan without the restrictions placed on him from day one.

Lams tenure was,sadly mapped out the day with Edwards I said at the who would do that?

I’ve never been convinced by his style,I don’t like to see coaches fail especially as it’s effecting our club,
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

I wish him well. Shame it didn't quite work out here.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I personally think that we just got worse an worse under Lam. Yes we won the league and we got to a final but for me you were always thinking what’s out game plan?
It always felt like the team waited on some individual brilliance compared to a team effort. It was blatantly obvious last seasons tactic was give it to french.
You wanna be a top team you can’t be a team of individuals