Adrian Lam to leave Wigan at the end of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Adrian Lam to leave Wigan at the end of the season

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:47 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:27 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:22 pm

I agree with this, surely must be sorted by now? Can't say I'm inspired if it is Matty Peet though. Who am I to judge though lol 😆.
If it was matty peet it has to be a 1 year rolling contract, however he deserves a chance as much as any NRL assistant, you don't know the style until they are head coach.
One year rolling contract? He's either worth a proper contract of two or three years or he's not the man for the job. Another one year rolling contract would signal the club is not confident he's going to be a success and the last thing we need is someone appointed on a wing and a prayer they hope might work out which is what a rolling contract says. We don't need a "project" as head coach.

As I said elsewhere Peet (or anyone else) doesn't deserve the job just because he's been assistant here. The club (as in IL) needs to appoint who it thinks will be a successful coach. I am with those who think that means it needs to be someone not associated with how things are done at Wigan currently as he undoubtedly is. Hopefully IL thinks the same way.
Not that I disagree with most if your post but I disagree about 1 year contracts, I would like to see all coaches at all clubs get 1 year contracts with the option to extend based off performance. Much like lots of jobs these days start as secondments.

Lam fits your bill he wasn't around to be involved in the current "ROT" and he came in and hasn't done nothing, if the club has a ethos that's from youth to first team whoever comes in needs to work with it and adapt it not just disregard it, you do that and players who have spent years coming through youth and reserve will struggle to get into the first team and we become Warrington.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Good luck to Lammy, and thanks for doing your best.

My concern re "the club need to appoint...." posts, is that "the club" (IL and KR, presumably) have a worse track record of making signings/appointments than Lammy has as a coach. Maybe I'd be happier if the management were leaving and Lam picked their replacements?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It does amuse me when people go off on the “we need a fresh outlook” well we just had that haven’t we?

I’ve no issue with contracts they get broken all the time surely a good handshake would do,oh wait,no 1 year is fine maybe tge could word it better with an option for the club to extend that sort of thing,the only coach I’d go for 3 years for is Justin Holbrook but no chance there
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:47 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:27 pm If it was matty peet it has to be a 1 year rolling contract, however he deserves a chance as much as any NRL assistant, you don't know the style until they are head coach.
One year rolling contract? He's either worth a proper contract of two or three years or he's not the man for the job. Another one year rolling contract would signal the club is not confident he's going to be a success and the last thing we need is someone appointed on a wing and a prayer they hope might work out which is what a rolling contract says. We don't need a "project" as head coach.

As I said elsewhere Peet (or anyone else) doesn't deserve the job just because he's been assistant here. The club (as in IL) needs to appoint who it thinks will be a successful coach. I am with those who think that means it needs to be someone not associated with how things are done at Wigan currently as he undoubtedly is. Hopefully IL thinks the same way.
Not that I disagree but I disagree about 1 year contracts, I would like to see all coaches at all clubs get 1 year contracts with the option to extend based off performance. Much like lots of jobs these days start as secondments.

Lam fits your bill he wasn't around to be involved in the current "ROT" and he came in and hasn't done nothing, if the club has a ethos that's from youth to first team whoever comes in needs to work with it and adapt it not just disregard it, you do that and players who have spent years coming through youth and reserve will struggle to get into the first team and we become Warrington.
I don’t think you will ever get a top coach on a rolling contract. I have no idea why Lam accepted the situation himself. No offers or job elsewhere? I can’t think of any other valid reason.

I can’t see an NRL coach coming over on a one year rolling deal and I don’t think it’s fair to expect any coach to operate on this basis. I suspect it would negatively impact decision making such as bringing players back from injury too soon or not giving younger players a chance as the coach chases results to keep his job.

I also think it makes clubs lazy. Too easy just give the coach another year which is in my opinion what happened with Lam.

If a coach thinks he can booted out at the end of the season he’s not going to invest much in the club either. He’s a bit peripheral and not the centre of the strategy if you see what I mean. He definitely won’t do that if he thinks he’s going to get a job elsewhere in the next season. He could walk away at the end of the season and leave you in the lurch.

Just seems a thoroughly bad idea to me.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:44 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:54 pm Last night saved him, he was so so close to getting the boot immediately. This announcement was meant to be made prior to the bank holiday weekend like I said but it was delayed in case the club had to take drastic action.

No doubt he tried his best, it just wasn't good enough.
Any idea who would have stepped in if he had been sacked yesterday dan?
No Idea mate
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We were fortunate in a way last night in that Cas were dreadful. We were better than them but not a good performance by any standards. I've been to Cas umpteen times when we've played far better than last night and lost.

The team did improve last night and it occurred to me they'd been told he was going and were playing to impress the new coach whoever it may turn out to be.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Wintergreen wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:30 pm
josie andrews wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:17 pm I know it’s time for Lammy to leave but still gutted for him as he has had a mountain to climb in his time here

1) following on from Wane
2) the Edwards debacle
3) Covid
4) injuries
5) lack of support from the club re signing of players.

Don’t forget he has sacrificed being with his family back home in Oz to stay here.

I would like to wish him the very best of luck for his future whatever he chooses to do, & hope we can give him the send off he deserves.

Thank you Lammy 😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️
+1
+ 2
bertina

Post by bertina »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:32 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:18 pm Superb player and excellent seasons in 2019 and 2020! Has no doubt been a testing season and I imagine many are delighted at this.

I didn't see the game yesterday, as other have posted, not many nil Cas at Wheldon Road! Can only hope we discover form now and really push in.tne playoffs! As Singo said, he's been involved in an environment winning from 5th before!

Let's wait to see who's appointed for next season!🤞
2019 was not an excellent season. Knocked out of the cup again and we lost 40-10 to Saints in the playoffs and then eliminated by losing 4-28 at home to Salford with Lam coached off the park. He should have been sacked then.

2020 was better in that we won the LLS (not that currently anyone cares about that) but was characterised by a lot of ground out wins and of course ultimately we were not successful.

The Cas game was two very poor teams offering up a dour game. If there is an improvement in form from here on in I'd not be surprised if the players are happy he's off and are coaching themselves a bit like what happened when Dorahay was here.
Nothing like when Dorahay was here Dave.
He inherited a great squad that was successful. He tried to mend something that wasn’t broken.
I’m not saying Lam is a great coach, but the situation is not even similar.
pedro

Post by pedro »

bertina wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:26 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:18 pm Superb player and excellent seasons in 2019 and 2020! Has no doubt been a testing season and I imagine many are delighted at this.

I didn't see the game yesterday, as other have posted, not many nil Cas at Wheldon Road! Can only hope we discover form now and really push in.tne playoffs! As Singo said, he's been involved in an environment winning from 5th before!

Let's wait to see who's appointed for next season!🤞
2019 was not an excellent season. Knocked out of the cup again and we lost 40-10 to Saints in the playoffs and then eliminated by losing 4-28 at home to Salford with Lam coached off the park. He should have been sacked then.

2020 was better in that we won the LLS (not that currently anyone cares about that) but was characterised by a lot of ground out wins and of course ultimately we were not successful.

The Cas game was two very poor teams offering up a dour game. If there is an improvement in form from here on in I'd not be surprised if the players are happy he's off and are coaching themselves a bit like what happened when Dorahay was here.
He inherited a great squad that was successful. He tried to mend something that wasn’t broken.
we won everything in Dorahys year except the regal trophy
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bertina wrote:

Let's wait to see who's appointed for next season![emoji1696]

I meant the players ignoring the coach and coaching themselves.

Back the. they did it because the coach decided to change something that wasn’t broken so the players rebelled. Today it is broken so if they rebel and coach themselves then that’s the similarity I was on about.