Adrian Lam to leave Wigan at the end of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Adrian Lam to leave Wigan at the end of the season

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:
bertina wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:26 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:32 pm 2019 was not an excellent season. Knocked out of the cup again and we lost 40-10 to Saints in the playoffs and then eliminated by losing 4-28 at home to Salford with Lam coached off the park. He should have been sacked then.

2020 was better in that we won the LLS (not that currently anyone cares about that) but was characterised by a lot of ground out wins and of course ultimately we were not successful.

The Cas game was two very poor teams offering up a dour game. If there is an improvement in form from here on in I'd not be surprised if the players are happy he's off and are coaching themselves a bit like what happened when Dorahay was here.
Nothing like when Dorahay was here Dave.
He inherited a great squad that was successful. He tried to mend something that wasn’t broken.
I’m not saying Lam is a great coach, but the situation is not even similar.
we won everything in Dorahys year except the regal trophy
Yes we did and he was still sacked. The regal trophy was supposed to be a protest by the players. We got thrashed by Cas and the theory goes is they deliberately threw the game as a protest.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Good luck to Lam, legend as a player but missed the mark as a coach.

I don't understimate the hand he was dealt being bad, to get us to the top last year is a plus and so very nearly Champs but this year is a massive minus.

We looked interested v Cas, was it just the removal of the the uncertainty about his future?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:48 pm
“I feel it’s the right time to pursue other opportunities and will leave at the end of this current 2021 season.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/08/ ... ave-wigan/
Whys he making it sound like he had a choice in the matter 🤣
jobo

Post by jobo »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:01 am
“I feel it’s the right time to pursue other opportunities and will leave at the end of this current 2021 season.

Maybe he jumped before being pushed?

Any road up, whoever gets the job for next year is in for an interesting time.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well what would you stay, in his shoes?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dignity? I suppose he could be all indignant in public about being let go and give an interview where he aired all his pretty gripes about his colleagues and why it's there fault. Or maybe he could act with professional pride and move on like this?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

The bloke has been told he isnt getting his contract renewed. Everyone knows that. Coming out and saying he feels like its the right time to pursue other opportunities makes it sound like has turned us down to leave, or has asked to leave. Which is not the case. If I owned Wigan I would of released the statement in a hell of a different way to how it was released. They are shit with PR.

Only club who can have a head coach perform this shit and have it come out like he had a choice to stay or go 🤣
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:02 pm The bloke has been told he isnt getting his contract renewed. Everyone knows that. Coming out and saying he feels like its the right time to pursue other opportunities makes it sound like has turned us down to leave, or has asked to leave. Which is not the case. If I owned Wigan I would of released the statement in a hell of a different way to how it was released. They are shit with PR.

Only club who can have a head coach perform this shit and have it come out like he had a choice to stay or go 🤣
It is standard wording for people leaving the same way as you can't give a bad reference anymore.

Has left to explore other opportunities is a very neutral statement which could mean they have been told they are going to has left by own choice.

I.would be disappointed in the club if his leaving statements turned into a two way slagging off match.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:02 pm The bloke has been told he isnt getting his contract renewed. Everyone knows that. Coming out and saying he feels like its the right time to pursue other opportunities makes it sound like has turned us down to leave, or has asked to leave. Which is not the case. If I owned Wigan I would of released the statement in a hell of a different way to how it was released. They are shit with PR.

So you want us to put out a statement saying he failed and was dismissed. And them him to defend himself in public by saying the club prevented him from succeeding? Something like that?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Mike wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:45 pm

So you want us to put out a statement saying he failed and was dismissed. And them him to defend himself in public by saying the club prevented him from succeeding? Something like that?
No, Id of put out a statement thanking him for his efforts but the club has came to the decision that they will not be renewing his contract. - something along those lines, not “lam leaves wigan” and then let it come across like it was his decision.