Adrian Lam to leave Wigan at the end of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Adrian Lam to leave Wigan at the end of the season

Post by Barney841 »

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:55 pm
Mike wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:45 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:02 pm The bloke has been told he isnt getting his contract renewed. Everyone knows that. Coming out and saying he feels like its the right time to pursue other opportunities makes it sound like has turned us down to leave, or has asked to leave. Which is not the case. If I owned Wigan I would of released the statement in a hell of a different way to how it was released. They are shit with PR.

Only club who can have a head coach perform this shit and have it come out like he had a choice to stay or go 🤣
So you want us to put out a statement saying he failed and was dismissed. And them him to defend himself in public by saying the club prevented him from succeeding? Something like that?
No, Id of put out a statement thanking him for his efforts but the club has came to the decision that they will not be renewing his contract. - something along those lines, not “lam leaves wigan” and then let it come across like it was his decision.
I know what your saying.
But Lams gone that’s the main thing, so it doesn’t matter how it’s put for me
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

There are ways to phrase decisions made when parties don't agree.
Lam doesn't want to sound awkward as it might put off prospective employers.
Wigan don't want to sound insulting as that might put off prospective new head coaches.
If you want to know if a club has an amount of class then you watch how they handle delicate matters such as contract non renewals.
Everyone in RL will know the Lam/Wigan situation and as long as there doesn't appear to conflict or stress in public then everything seems as it should do.

My own view is that he should have gone last mid season after our defeat/shambolic loss in the C Cup to Leeds. That we were so soundly beaten and by a team coached by Richard Agar showed how far the coaching standards had fallen since the GF win in 2018 by Shaun Wane. At that point I didn't think we'd win a trophy with Lam as head coach. The LLS win and being so close to a GF win did leave me thinking the players had achieved that in spite of Lam and not because of him.

We need a new culture with on field discipline one of the main requisites. We obviously need winning rugby and also with flair that will bring us fans out of our seats. Winning rugby with five drives and a kick is now from the manual of utter boredom and won't do.

IL & Rads have a job on their hands. A quality coach, quality half back to succeed Hastings and quality centres now we know Gildart's gone and Hardaker is likely to leave. Goal Kicking is another problem they have to resolve. They both have a hell of a job on their hands to bring Wigan back to the standards both they and their supporters expect.
Good Luck and good fortune to them both!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:57 pm There are ways to phrase decisions made when parties don't agree.
Lam doesn't want to sound awkward as it might put off prospective employers.
Wigan don't want to sound insulting as that might put off prospective new head coaches.
If you want to know if a club has an amount of class then you watch how they handle delicate matters such as contract non renewals.
Everyone in RL will know the Lam/Wigan situation and as long as there doesn't appear to conflict or stress in public then everything seems as it should do.

My own view is that he should have gone last mid season after our defeat/shambolic loss in the C Cup to Leeds. That we were so soundly beaten and by a team coached by Richard Agar showed how far the coaching standards had fallen since the GF win in 2018 by Shaun Wane. At that point I didn't think we'd win a trophy with Lam as head coach. The LLS win and being so close to a GF win did leave me thinking the players had achieved that in spite of Lam and not because of him.

We need a new culture with on field discipline one of the main requisites. We obviously need winning rugby and also with flair that will bring us fans out of our seats. Winning rugby with five drives and a kick is now from the manual of utter boredom and won't do.

IL & Rads have a job on their hands. A quality coach, quality half back to succeed Hastings and quality centres now we know Gildart's gone and Hardaker is likely to leave. Goal Kicking is another problem they have to resolve. They both have a hell of a job on their hands to bring Wigan back to the standards both they and their supporters expect.
Good Luck and good fortune to them both!
I understand your post and agree with much of it. I'm not a huge fan of Lam and wouldn't argue that he's a great coach, but....
You say IL and Rads have some work to do. How much of our plight is down to them? What other coach could have "succeeded" given the circumstances/players that Lam had? Who do we blame?

He's an easy target, but if you rewind 40 years or so, what would Graham Lowe have achieved with IL and Rads on charge?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote:The bloke has been told he isnt getting his contract renewed. Everyone knows that. Coming out and saying he feels like its the right time to pursue other opportunities makes it sound like has turned us down to leave, or has asked to leave. Which is not the case. If I owned Wigan I would of released the statement in a hell of a different way to how it was released. They are shit with PR.

Only club who can have a head coach perform this shit and have it come out like he had a choice to stay or go [emoji1787]
If they had terminated his contract early and sacked him then it would surely not have been possible for the club to be nice about it or Lam to come out with all that he has said. The club would have had to justify his sacking by saying what he’d done wrong.

As it is they have him seeing his contact out so while few might believe any of it from either side I don’t think there is anything to gained by sticking the boot in.

The important thing he is off and we now have to hope IL chooses the new coach wisely.