Fans Forum

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Fans Forum

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:15 am
Mike wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:58 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:38 pm
Why? They are working to the same salary cap as we are and we are paying to it (or will be soon) so the real question is how are they fitting big name signings under the cap and we aren’t?
If you look at Saints players that are leaving this year, you can start to see the compromises they are begining to have to make. It just hit us a few years earlier.
What Do you mean Mike? They have got two of the best young players in the comp. Thompson leaves they sign another who, in my opinion is better. They lose a fullback and sign Hopoate. By the way both players are younger than their predecessors. Have they finished recruiting?
They lost fage too.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Dan2266 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:56 pm Reading the notes from the Forum, looks like they partly revealed the Hardaker conversations I was on about. (and got slated for)
Plus Thornley
Plus broadly what you said about Williams
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mike wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:42 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:15 am
Mike wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:58 pm

If you look at Saints players that are leaving this year, you can start to see the compromises they are begining to have to make. It just hit us a few years earlier.
What Do you mean Mike? They have got two of the best young players in the comp. Thompson leaves they sign another who, in my opinion is better. They lose a fullback and sign Hopoate. By the way both players are younger than their predecessors. Have they finished recruiting?
They lost fage too.
but had Dodds to step up,
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:10 am
oval balls wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:25 pm I wonder with clubs like saints and wire signing big name players (probably more wire than saints) and probably big name salaries to go with them
Will this not come back and bite them on the arse as it did with Bradford and Widnes a few years back and the game was in what could be said a more comfortable position than it is now
At the moment Saints are getting it right, Wigan are not. My philosophy is don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today as tomorrow may never come.
Probably comes down to how many young players we have in our squad on first team contracts which not only creates an imbalance but reduces the opportunity to sign more established players.

Imo having Havard, Byrne, Smithies, Partington, KPP is too many youngsters at the same time.

Havard still has great potential but stalled this year.

Partington and Smithies, I hope they can improve but feel they’re the same players they were a few years ago.

Byrne has great aggression but makes so many mistakes and runs into brick walls rather than gaps

KPP could be our next Gareth Hock, great running outwide, good offload. Would like to see more aggression, not always look for offload and to do more runs in our own half.

Partington is actually 23 now, no longer a youngster in comparison.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:59 am
Dan2266 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:56 pm Reading the notes from the Forum, looks like they partly revealed the Hardaker conversations I was on about. (and got slated for)
Plus Thornley
People don't realise how close we actually were to Williams, Warringtons final offer swayed it. But Wigan wont come out and say that because of the way it portrays him

To be fair someone else was first with the Thornely situation, not quite sure who it was
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Dan2266 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:05 am
Plus Thornley
People don't realise how close we actually were to Williams, Warringtons final offer swayed it. But Wigan wont come out and say that because of the way it portrays him

To be fair someone else was first with the Thornely situation, not quite sure who it was
Breaking the bank for Williams would have been the wrong thing to do. He is not Andrew Johns.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:07 am

Plus Thornley

Breaking the bank for Williams would have been the wrong thing to do. He is not Andrew Johns.
Somewhat agree. But we need to replace Hastings, and not with an average player. Williams was the best available and we did our best to get him. Wire were just desperate to land him.

Money is there for a half like I said the other week.

Haven’t heard anything for a while about how the pursuit of Miller is going, but was told a new signing (not thornley) was possibly going to be all but announced at the forum. (Which from what Ive seen so far it wasn’t)
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

If it had to be a halfback from Wakefield I’d love Mason Lino,he is impresssive and kicks well too
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Dan2266 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:11 am

Somewhat agree. But we need to replace Hastings, and not with an average player. Williams was the best available and we did our best to get him. Wire were just desperate to land him.

Haven’t heard anything for a while about how the pursuit of Miller is going, but was told a new signing (not thornley) was possibly going to be all but announced at the forum. (Which from what Ive seen so far it wasn’t)
On the basis the club confirmed specifically that £73k remained, surely the half has been signed, just not announced?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:26 am
Dan2266 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:11 am

On the basis the club confirmed specifically that £73k remained, surely the half has been signed, just not announced?
You’d assume so, but depending on who they claim dispensation as Marquee against that £73k could increase / decrease.

Id like to think a half is signed up and we have space for a further addition though yes.

Either that or the club are that confident Miller will get done that they have accounted for his wage already when disclosing £73k is available