Five candidates to be the new Wigan head coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Five candidates to be the new Wigan head coach

Post by moto748 »

Right now I'll settle for not-Lam.

And hope that whether it's Matty Peet or someone else, they are give a decent shot before people start calling for the pitchforks.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:43 pm Right now I'll settle for not-Lam.

And hope that whether it's Matty Peet or someone else, they are give a decent shot before people start calling for the pitchforks.
Have to agree whoever it is has to be hit behind and given full support
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Surely know one can be happy with matty peet? I know people will be sick of hearing it but we need a coach with no ties to Wigan and that will shake things up.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:Right now I'll settle for not-Lam.

If it’s anyone else but Peet I think they will be given a decent shot.

If Peet gets the job it will be greeted with skepticism by many as he is associated with the current regime. That shouldn’t be news to anyone. Peet will have more to prove than any outsider.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Whoever does take charge i think we wanna see changes, not talk of changes…… we wanna actually see our team playing a different style and looking good…… the last time this happened was when maguire took control…… i must admit i thought we had turned a corner halfway through last season when bevan was flying
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:58 pm
moto748 wrote:Right now I'll settle for not-Lam.

If it’s anyone else but Peet I think they will be given a decent shot.

If Peet gets the job it will be greeted with skepticism by many as he is associated with the current regime. That shouldn’t be news to anyone. Peet will have more to prove than any outsider.
Personally I think that’s fair enough.

Although we should back him 100%, it would be underwhelming, appear to be the cheap option and leave me optimistic to getting some success in terms of Grand Finals and challenge cups.

Don’t want to write him off but it isn’t the same kind of appointment as when Wane was promoted. He had spent 2 years under Madge (rather than Pete under Lam) and had excellent success in the academy prior to that. The foundations were set, the club was turned around.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:06 am Whoever does take charge i think we wanna see changes, not talk of changes…… we wanna actually see our team playing a different style and looking good…… the last time this happened was when maguire took control…… i must admit i thought we had turned a corner halfway through last season when bevan was flying
I just can’t see how it changes that much given Winder and Pete are our current attack and defence coaches.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:17 am
Firestarter wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:06 am Whoever does take charge i think we wanna see changes, not talk of changes…… we wanna actually see our team playing a different style and looking good…… the last time this happened was when maguire took control…… i must admit i thought we had turned a corner halfway through last season when bevan was flying
I just can’t see how it changes that much given Winder and Pete are our current attack and defence coaches.
Thats true, and why ide personally love a clean start
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The issue with internal promotions is that they come with varying degrees of nepotism and you cannot get away from that. Now every coach over time will build bonds with players and will prefer certain players but when you promote from within as coach then you start off with already well established relationships and that can have a lot of poor effects on the club

it influences who starts but also who you sign, if you have a strong bond with a player who isnt very good in their position - youre not going to go sign someone better knowing that it will put your mate out of the team.

I think we need a cultural reset similar to what happened when Madge arrived and i cant see that happening with peet/wane. I think the club need a clear out
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

IL did come across as wanting a coach who would give us entertaining rugby as this will bring back the crowds. He seemed disappointed that Lam didn't bring this as promised.

I think they also realize that the rugby played under Wane was driving the fans away and therefore needed a change.

So hopefully even though a cheap option, Peet with Wane behind won't bring back exciting rugby and bigger crowds.