Five candidates to be the new Wigan head coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Five candidates to be the new Wigan head coach

Post by josie andrews »

With the news that Adrian Lam will no longer be Wigan head coach after the 2021 Super League season has ended, there have already been names rumoured with the job. But, who is likeliest to take over?

Matty Peet

Highly-regarded Matty Peet is Adrian Lam’s current assistant and is well thought of within the Wigan club as a whole. But, would owner Ian Lenagan go for Peet or more of a big name? It’s thought that with Shaun Wane returning to the DW Stadium in some kind of Director of Rugby capacity, it would alleviate some of the pressure that would be on Peet if given the reins full time. However, there’s always a risk with granting an assistant coach the main job.

Brian McDermott

Really not given a chance to show his credentials with another Super League side given the demise of the Toronto Wolfpack, the former Leeds boss could be persuaded to return to management in the top-flight if Wigan come calling. Boasting a CV that other coaches look at in envy, McDermott would certainly bring more trophy-winning pedigree to the DW Stadium. It remains to be seen though if McDermott would cross the Pennines.

Danny Ward

Having been London boss since 2018, Danny Ward’s stock has risen considerably. He earned promotion in his first season, beating favourites Toronto 4-2 away from home. Though the Broncos were relegated from Super League in 2019 by points difference, Ward earned numerous plaudits for the way he got the capital club firing. It would be a huge risk for Wigan considering how London played at the start of this season under Ward, but it is one that could pay off massively.

Trent Barrett

Despite playing just two seasons in Super League, Trent Barrett’s impact on his English club Wigan was seriously impressive. The ex-St George playmaker carried the Warriors side in 2007 and 2008, scoring 26 tries and leading them to the semi-finals of the play-offs in both years. The 2007 Rugby League Writers’ Association Player of the Year bowed out with no medal to show for it, though he did stamp his mark firmly on the northern hemisphere. A less than successful stint in charge of Canterbury Bulldogs will see the club finish bottom of the NRL ladder, so again, it would be another massive risk for Lenagan.

Shaun Wane

Everyone already knows that Shaun Wane will return to Wigan in 2022 in some kind of role. However, what’s there to say that it won’t be in a coaching capacity? His time at the Warriors was an enviable success – he led the club to three Grand Final victories and one Challenge Cup win, with his legacy still being felt now. It would be a sensational return, but stranger things have happened.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/five-can ... ach-42746/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ian.birchall

Re: Five candidates to be the new Wigan head coach

Post by ian.birchall »

I would add a 6th name there Josie, my Uncle Tom Cobbley. I vote Trent Barrett.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Not very good
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Not sure about any of them. Surprised Shane Flanagan hasn’t been mentioned, he’s still out of a job
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The line

"everybody knows Shaun Wane will return to the club in 2022" is for me the worst bit

because you may aswell not bother with a coach - there is no way that Wane will let someone else run the show - he used to say how he was frustrated under Madge because he thought he could do things better - he thinks his way is the best and regardless of the validity in that no credible coach will let someone upstairs run the show - isnt that why furner left leeds?

So may aswell put lockers in and keep the wage bill down because if shaun wane is is at the club shaun wane will be calling the shots end of
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I think we all know its going to be Peet, with Wane as Puppet master.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

There were rumours of Danny Ward being involved months ago. I posted it on a thread but cant for the life of me remember which one.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:54 am I think we all know its going to be Peet, with Wane as Puppet master.
Sadly I think you are right.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:52 am The line

"everybody knows Shaun Wane will return to the club in 2022" is for me the worst bit

because you may aswell not bother with a coach - there is no way that Wane will let someone else run the show - he used to say how he was frustrated under Madge because he thought he could do things better - he thinks his way is the best and regardless of the validity in that no credible coach will let someone upstairs run the show - isnt that why furner left leeds?

So may aswell put lockers in and keep the wage bill down because if shaun wane is is at the club shaun wane will be calling the shots end of
That was just arrogant in my opinion given how Madge had clearly transformed the team. I was actually all for Wane being appointed at the time because I thought being part of Madge's coaching set up and his assistant he'd bring continuity. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Then Wane gave an interview where he said that and cited things like some odd losses by a few points to sides lower down the table as things he thought he could improve on (which proved ironic given he delivered quite a few of those kind of results). It wasn't "I am the new coach and I have some new ideas to build on Madge's success" he was basically slagging Madge off saying he wanted to do things differently and Madge was basically wrong. I went right off the idea then.

Maybe that could work in our favour if Peet was frustrated with Lam's approach and changed things for the better but not much chance of that with Wane involved as Wane will be calling the shots as you say.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Everyone already knows that Shaun Wane will return to Wigan in 2022 in some kind of role. However, what’s there to say that it won’t be in a coaching capacity?
I thought the official line was that was ruled out at the fans forum? We might thing "yeah, right" and he will interfere but I thought his appointment as head coach was ruled out?