Five candidates to be the new Wigan head coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: Five candidates to be the new Wigan head coach

Post by jaws1 »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:05 am There were rumours of Danny Ward being involved months ago. I posted it on a thread but cant for the life of me remember which one.
heard the same Dan ,Danny Ward was assistant coach under Wane for England.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:52 am The line

"everybody knows Shaun Wane will return to the club in 2022" is for me the worst bit

because you may aswell not bother with a coach - there is no way that Wane will let someone else run the show - he used to say how he was frustrated under Madge because he thought he could do things better - he thinks his way is the best and regardless of the validity in that no credible coach will let someone upstairs run the show - isnt that why furner left leeds?

So may aswell put lockers in and keep the wage bill down because if shaun wane is is at the club shaun wane will be calling the shots end of
Hasn't he been a scout for the club previously. There is nothing to say he will be involved in coaching the team if he is in that role.

Then again I suppose those that want something to look bad will always find and excuse those that want it to lookngood will do the same.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
bertina

Post by bertina »

"everybody knows Shaun Wane will return to the club in 2022" is for me the worst bit

because you may aswell not bother with a coach - there is no way that Wane will let someone else run the show - he used to say how he was frustrated under Madge because he thought he could do things better - he thinks his way is the best and regardless of the validity in that no credible coach will let someone upstairs run the show - isnt that why furner left leeds?

So may aswell put lockers in and keep the wage bill down because if shaun wane is is at the club shaun wane will be calling the shots end of
I agree 100%. I posted exactly the same thing on another thread.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Please not Trent Barret he has been sacked from his previous club and will be sacked in next few weeks as his club is bottom of the NRL
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

The way IL described it last night was he has always gone for an assistant and never a head coach. This would then rule out Wane, McDermott, Ward and Barratt.

Does it leave Peet as the front runner, well IL seemed to say he was an option but that he was also looking at other assistant coaches both here and in Aus.

I'm not against giving Matty Peet a go, but I worry if things are not working out in 6 months the club could have a revolt on their hands.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:10 pm

Hasn't he been a scout for the club previously. There is nothing to say he will be involved in coaching the team if he is in that role.

Then again I suppose those that want something to look bad will always find and excuse those that want it to lookngood will do the same.
I dont know if he has been a scout or not or when he was a scout but i say again Shaun Wane even if he was employed as the cleaner would make a point of ensuring his orders were followed thats just him - thats who he is. Like i say the debate about whether thats good or bad is a separate debate and i havent expressed an opinion on that but one thing is for certain in any structure if shaun wane is at the club he is a big voice - that to me is why you wont see a seasoned coach in place
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

What's that Demetriou lad up to these days
Green Machine

Post by Green Machine »

medlocke wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:48 pm What's that Demetriou lad up to these days
Assistant coach at Sydney Roosters I think.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Isn't Demetriou lined up to replace Wayne Bennett at South's in 2022?
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I'm probably most inspired by the appointment of Danny Ward, but if he's worked under Wane at international level, would he be a potential puppet like Peet possibly will be?

Wouldn't be so keen on Mac, Wane is a director of rugby next year isn't he? Barrett appears to be hit n miss. Peet......no smoke without fire, seems to be nailed on?

My concern is also a possible revolt next season and the loss of fans if the appointment goes horribly wrong!