Five candidates to be the new Wigan head coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Five candidates to be the new Wigan head coach

Post by josie andrews »

Green Machine wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:23 pm
medlocke wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:48 pm What's that Demetriou lad up to these days
Assistant coach at Sydney Roosters I think.
Thought it was The Bunnies 🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:26 pm The way IL described it last night was he has always gone for an assistant and never a head coach.
And if that's his philosophy, why is that? Does he not see any value in appointing a top coach?

By that measure we'd have never seen Graham Lowe or John Monie at Wigan. They took the club to another level, particularly Lowe.

There are also assistants who have been assisting top coaches who you might employ because you hope they have learned from the master and then there are others who are just the cheap option. The former applied to Michael Maguire who was assistant to Craig Bellamy for give years before he came here and who also took charge of the first team when Bellamy was on representative duty with State of Origin. Maguire's reputation was already very high before he came to Wigan and he was actually tipped to moving to Brisbane Broncos as head coach.

When Wane was appointed I had hoped he'd learned from Maguire in the same way but he soon made it clear he thought Maguire was doing things wrong. I'd have never appointed him if in an interview he'd voiced such opinions. There is a difference between building on success and changing what brought it because you think you know better.

Lam's appointment could also be seen as continuing the appointment of assistant coaches but if you look at his record as an assistant it pales into insignificance compared to Maguire's. He spent about a season and a half at the Roosters then another at St George before dropping down to under 20's coach. A demotion. He was also PNG coach of course but that's part time anyway.

Then we have Peet as a candidate who has been assistant to Lam (!) and involved with Wane. It just gets worse.

So if IL wants to appoint an assistant as head coach with a pedigree like Maguire's, fine. Appointing someone like Lam or Peet is not the same thing at all.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

No no no to Mac
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

One thing for certainit will the cheapest option.Peet is favourite, mcdermoot would not work under Wane and would cost too much as would Barrett.Too big a job for Ward so Peet for my money, god help us.
Green Machine

Post by Green Machine »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:37 pm
medlocke wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:48 pm What's that Demetriou lad up to these days
Sorry it is the Bunnies :oops:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

pearsy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:04 pm No no no to Mac
x2
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Green Machine wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:27 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:37 pm
Sorry it is the Bunnies :oops:
Taking over from Bennett next season. Flanagan is still available :o
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

What's Paul Rowley up to these days ??
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Didn't Barrett have a fall out with IL whilst he was here?

Prefer a new face in at either head coach or assistant.
Harris had nothing in his RL career connected with Wigan but was excellent as assistant. Our attacking play was very effective and also entertaining which something us fans appreciate.
Perhaps another former half back could come in as assistant to add new ideas, plays/moves to get our attack moving again.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I think if it was decided on Matty Peet he would have told us last night. Somethings he said about Lam and how we played previous to him would say he would look for a more experienced assistant, maybe in Australia like maguire.