Wigan’s Magic Weekend squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Wigan’s Magic Weekend squad

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:15 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:22 am
ian.birchall wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:44 am In 63 years of watching Wigan I have seen more than one game lost in the last minute but I think yesterday was the first time I saw one lost in the first minute. That was unfortunate but not for the first time this season we only seemed to be on the attack after we tore up whatever plan the team were told to work to. That is down to the coaching staff and much as I believe Lam should have gone after one year he isn't the only coach training the team.
We have been badly hurt by having marquee players for the last two years who through injury have simply not been up to the required standard. Bateman this season has been a pale shadow of the player who left to go to Oz and his shoulder problem needs to be sorted one way or another.
You don't sign for a premiership football team unless you pass a thorough medical. I don't know if Wigan do that for UK signings but they very evidently do not do it for overseas signings, things need to change, at least we should ensure that Gildart goes to Warrington when he returns to the UK.
I hate to say I told you so, but I did post this at the time we bought him.

His style, physical stature etc just didn't lend itself to signing someone who was unproven after 2 shoulder ops.

On the bright side, I wasn't overly disappointed with the performance yesterday. With a creative half, we would have won the game (albeit against a tired looking Warrington side).

Sorry but Smith has to step up or be shipped out.
Creative halves need runners and players who will support. We do neither. Hastings is a MOS standard half and he is also not able to break down defences.
Very true Mike as Hastings does not have the pace to break through the line.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Batemans shoulder was sorted, was a spur on each shoulder so had it removed, nothing else
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Powell is a decent enough player but id we look at our competitiors/teams winning things then they all have 1 or 2 or even 3 better options at hooker than we do.

Ref (again) was only pinging one team for offside or high shots, completly let the PTB look after itself - Mamo and King in particular were lying on and making no attempt to role away - nothing said. Oh yeh, the ref this week had a rod on for penalising KPP.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

pedro wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:56 pm Batemans shoulder was sorted, was a spur on each shoulder so had it removed, nothing else
He looks to have lost his spurs full stop :lol: 🤠
Charriots Offiah

We would have won that game yesterday with Sam Tomkins or Bevan French at fullback. I am not knocking Zak for his effort, he was much better against Wire and one of our top performers, but his passing game and vision is not at the necessary level and it is affecting our attack.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:00 pm We would have won that game yesterday with Sam Tomkins or Bevan French at fullback. I am not knocking Zak for his effort, he was much better against Wire and one of our top performers, but his passing game and vision is not at the necessary level and it is affecting our attack.
he doesnt seem to be able to see a pass, if he could become a link he would be class, as it is hes killing plays
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:00 pm We would have won that game yesterday with Sam Tomkins or Bevan French at fullback. I am not knocking Zak for his effort, he was much better against Wire and one of our top performers, but his passing game and vision is not at the necessary level and it is affecting our attack.
I think we'd have won several more games with either of those two at full back as we have lost a few by narrow margins but maybe French not being available has proved a blessing in disguise. It's exposed the rest of the attack for what it is and has ultimately cost Lam his job. Had we won these games I am not confident IL & Rads would think there was an issue and Lam might well have been here next year off the back of his one attacking tactic, give the ball to French.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:19 pm
he doesnt seem to be able to see a pass, if he could become a link he would be class, as it is hes killing plays
To be fair we have seen Zak at Leeds and cas and his strength has always been defence, running good lines and making breaks (in that order for me)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:16 pm
pedro wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:19 pm
To be fair we have seen Zak at Leeds and cas and his strength has always been defence, running good lines and making breaks (in that order for me)
I don’t disagree but that is not what we require.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

As I read yesterday (can't remember if it was here or not), someone saying, yes, Zak is terrific when the ball is in our half. Just not so much use joining in on attack. Which I thought very true.