Wigan’s Magic Weekend squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Wigan’s Magic Weekend squad

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I agree, it's essential we have a quality half for next season. We could have the most amazing pack in SL, but if we don't have any on field generals, it's pointless.

I also think Hardaker looked ok overall, not too disappointed (all things considered). Let's hope we can consolidate 4th and see what happens in the playoffs!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

jaws1 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:28 pm Whats blaringly obvious we want a backs coach who knows what he is doing there is not a move in to break a line.
Statues spring to mind
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

jaws1 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:28 pm Whats blaringly obvious we want a backs coach who knows what he is doing there is not a move in to break a line.
Some backs would help too. Our full back is injured as is our right wing man who's retired. Our right centre is playing full back. There's a utility back (Bibby) in centre, What our seven backs will look like next year is anyone's guess.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:38 pm
Some backs would help too. Our full back is injured as is our right wing man who's retired. Our right centre is playing full back. There's a utility back (Bibby) in centre, What our seven backs will look like next year is anyone's guess.
My guess would be

French
Miski
Hardaker
Bibby
Marshall
Field
Smith.

Smith isn’t the answer though
butchbulldog

Post by butchbulldog »

You forgot Thornley
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

butchbulldog wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:58 pm You forgot Thornley
No, I don’t think he did
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Barney841 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:40 pm
My guess would be

French
Miski
Hardaker
Bibby
Marshall
Field
Smith.

It’ll be a long,long season if that’s the line up though I feel Hardaker will be off before long
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Same two issues in attack as virtually every game this season. No idea in the last twenty meters and no idea on last tackle plays.

I just read the second bit of the fans forum and it’s pretty obvious IL appoints the coach and lets him get on with it and doesn’t do things like interfere with team selection (even though it’s fairly obvious reading it he’s been as mystified as the fans as to why players like Clark have not been picked).

Not interfering on team selection is fair enough but does that preclude him from getting Lam in his office and giving him a rocket for failing to address such obvious issues?

If I were the owner I’d want an explanation and would demand improvement. Read the fans forum minutes and it sounds like his attitude is “Oh dear, appointing Lam hasn’t worked out”.

He might not want to sack coaches early to avoid paying them off but he’s not powerless. He’s well within his rights to demand improvement. It doesn’t even have to be confrontational. He could ask that given the attack isn’t working, what help does Lam need to fix it?

Leaving a coach to make the same mistakes every week is a dereliction of duty. I am sure no coach wants to be constantly explaining themselves to the owner but in these circumstances Lam should not be surprised.

The problem is even if he did this if Lam or any other coach thinks they aren’t going to sacked they could just ignore him. There needs to be some teeth behind it which ultimately means if things don’t improve the option of the sack needs to be there.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:02 pm
Barney841 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:40 pm

My guess would be

French
Miski
Hardaker
Bibby
Marshall
Field
Smith.

It’ll be a long,long season if that’s the line up though I feel Hardaker will be off before long

I agree. Unless we get a top coach or attack coach, it could be a struggle.
Hope I get proven wrong
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

I actually think we will be a better team without Hastings. That isn't to say he's a bad player, he's obviously not, but I don't see that he brings any cohesion to the team. He would be better suited to a team with more experienced players leaving him free to do his own thing. We need more of a team player who can guide the players around the pitch; better utilise the players around him; bring on Smith and ideally kick intelligently. A high percentage rate for conversions would be useful as well. Not too much to ask for is it?? :lol: