Wigan’s Magic Weekend squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan’s Magic Weekend squad

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

When smith came into the team I rated him but he is a long long way off what is needed and more so I get the feeling he has fallen into that all to often trap of believing his own hype and he has stopped improving and making far too many selfish poor choices on last tackle

Hasting has been our best player by a country mile this season without him I doubt we would see a gap between us and Leigh

Interesting to hear what Wes says about Powell’s return? Using his logic we lost today and won last time when he didn’t play so he is the reason we lost (btw this is a joke ans I’m not seriously suggesting this)
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:33 pm When smith came into the team I rated him but he is a long long way off what is needed and more so I get the feeling he has fallen into that all to often trap of believing his own hype and he has stopped improving and making far too many selfish poor choices on last tackle

Hasting has been our best player by a country mile this season without him I doubt we would see a gap between us and Leigh

Interesting to hear what Wes says about Powell’s return? Using his logic we lost today and won last time when he didn’t play so he is the reason we lost (btw this is a joke ans I’m not seriously suggesting this)
As I said, he is undoubtedly a good player I just don't think we would have been as bad as you say without him. It sounds counter-intuitive but I think there is an element of him trying to do everything which stifles other players at times, Smith included. I could be well wide of the mark but that's my take on the situation. I guess next season may prove or disprove my theory.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Could have and would have won that with a bit more about us in the last 20m. Biscuit shoulders Bateman has been absolutely dire since his return, he’s obviously carrying an injury. KPP playing him off the park which is rather embarrassing for Bateman. Big KPP fan, he’s like a enraged drunken giraffe and I’m all about that.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

mickali1 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:47 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:33 pm When smith came into the team I rated him but he is a long long way off what is needed and more so I get the feeling he has fallen into that all to often trap of believing his own hype and he has stopped improving and making far too many selfish poor choices on last tackle

As I said, he is undoubtedly a good player I just don't think we would have been as bad as you say without him. It sounds counter-intuitive but I think there is an element of him trying to do everything which stifles other players at times, Smith included. I could be well wide of the mark but that's my take on the situation. I guess next season may prove or disprove my theory.
The first 30 minutes of the match today showed this, he didn't let anyone get a sniff. He was good but at one he literally got in Smiths way to take the ball and run it
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We had enough possession and territory to win that or any other game. Trouble is we don't have an attacking move or play in us. Once again in a big game against a big pack he leaves an experienced prop (Clark) out of the 17 and plays Bullock minimum minutes. If Gildart played Bullock wouldn't have played at all.
Team selection bewildering, not a move or play in us. Why on earth has Lam lasted so long? Leaving him to see the season out just makes it worse.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Sorry to disappoint the moaners (or maybe not), but though I was disappointed with the result, I thought it was an encouraging performance.

Increasingly shrill voices have complained about Lam, Powell, Bibby, Partington, Byrne, Smithies, Smith, and others. Now (apparently) Shorrocks is "crap' too! KPP is still in his honeymoon period, but it won't be long before he cops it (2 pens for offside in first half....KPP-PP?).

That was a tough 3rd v 4th game. Steve Price complains about Wire having played 3 games in 11 days, but we've played 4 more than them.

To me, that's a cause for celebration - Well Done to all at the club, especially the players, for an incredible performance in extreme adversity.

Oh, and Sam P did well on his return :D
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:01 pm Sorry to disappoint the moaners (or maybe not), but though I was disappointed with the result, I thought it was an encouraging performance.

Increasingly shrill voices have complained about Lam, Powell, Bibby, Partington, Byrne, Smithies, Smith, and others. Now (apparently) Shorrocks is "crap' too! KPP is still in his honeymoon period, but it won't be long before he cops it (2 pens for offside in first half....KPP-PP?).

That was a tough 3rd v 4th game. Steve Price complains about Wire having played 3 games in 11 days, but we've played 4 more than them.

To me, that's a cause for celebration - Well Done to all at the club, especially the players, for an incredible performance in extreme adversity.

Oh, and Sam P did well on his return :D
define moaners? do you think rather than name calling you might want to consider that some supporters of what is supposedly the biggest Rugby League club in the world might want more than "putting up a good fight"

Im not sure what part of th performance you were encouraged by - we looked completely rudderless again, we failed to provide any threat going forward again andin general we dont look at threat to anyone competing for honours this year

As to you second point about the shrill voices im not sure what youre getting at - yes there has been a lot of complaints about Lam and Powell because neither are good enough for wigan, bibby is questionable i think he had a great start to the year but has fallen off, the young lads you talk about are all not performing, i think the general feeling is that they are being completely overplayed rather than directed at them.

Which bit is cause for celebration? the fact we didnt get battered? is that what constitutes success now? no you cant win them all but we could of won that had we been a better team - Wire werent particularly great today we had chances we werent good enough to take them

Sam P went ok and his assist for the havard try was good but lets not forget his replacement was a forward without absolutely no experience of playing 9 at senior level, so if he isnt a step up on that then im not sure again how low the expectation of one player could be

there is a saying "when you tolerate mediocrity you will get more of it"
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Well in summation of the magic weekend end, too many teams with little in the way of enterprising attacking rugby, too defensively orientated.
The game is stopped too often and for too long for injuries, the Stains v Catalans game being the worst of the lot.
As for Wigan, they have absolutely no idea how to break a team down, not enough runners, running different attacking lines, to give the play makers a chance of creating anything, the kicking game is a complete waste of time, hoof it in the air, no challenge on the catcher and then just try to stop him making any progress up field.
With 5 minutes to go we were still in the game and did absolutely nothing to create a chance to win it, the urgency to win the game seemed completely lacking.
It is soul destroying watching Wigan at the moment.
Wigan_forever1985

Its important to remember thats basically our best team barring French and Gildart.

Yes tommy and field are on the injury list but lets face it Tommy is very much in the twilight of his career and Field is a complete unknown at this point from what ive seen he doesnt look anything like a top player but we wont know till he gets a run

As far as im aware the other absentees are choices of the team not injuries
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:01 pm Its important to remember thats basically our best team barring French and Gildart.

Yes tommy and field are on the injury list but lets face it Tommy is very much in the twilight of his career and Field is a complete unknown at this point from what ive seen he doesnt look anything like a top player but we wont know till he gets a run

As far as im aware the other absentees are choices of the team not injuries
And that’s the frightening thing it is the best side and it’s bereft of attacking ideas at present,sure some that is down Lam but there’s no plan b whatsoever