Recruitment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
HDS

Re: Recruitment

Post by HDS »

Also George Burgess left, he must have been on a good slice of the salary cap.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

HDS wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:09 pm Also George Burgess left, he must have been on a good slice of the salary cap.
According the forum write-up him leaving saved the club £141k. Whether that is saved them £141k on the cap and he was paid more as a marquee player I don't know.

They did say they under spent the cap by that amount due to him leaving but like I said, he could have paid more.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:24 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:28 am
doc wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:27 pm

According to the fans forum we have budgeted for another half back. After that there is only 75k left after any existing contracts have been upgraded for 2022.
That’s not what Rads has said on the Warriors website, which are we to believe?
He did say that Charriots. Its in the fan forum blog.
KR wrote: I will point out an error that that Ian made on his slide where it showed you was 73 grand on the salary cap left to spend. The good news Ian is I did factor in the reckoning that there is room there for to go and buy a half back and then the 73 grand on top. So that’s a bit of good news.
Ok Mike but I am sure I read a different quote from Rads which contradicted it, then again I could have been dreaming!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Regarding the 73K, I imagine they have an estimated budget for a half (which try are obviously not going to reveal) and what's left is 73k. If the estimate is out then so will the value of what's left.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Recruitment

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:Regarding the 73K, I imagine they have an estimated budget for a half (which try are obviously not going to reveal) and what's left is 73k. If the estimate is out then so will the value of what's left.
My guess is what is left on the cap is £223k in total. So if you brought in a back as a marquee player that takes £150k out of that, maximum, leaving £73k.

Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part that they are looking at a back who can command that sort of money but it would explain the £73k figure which looks like a very precise amount.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:23 pm
Mike wrote:Regarding the 73K, I imagine they have an estimated budget for a half (which try are obviously not going to reveal) and what's left is 73k. If the estimate is out then so will the value of what's left.
My guess is what is left on the cap is £223k in total. So if you brought in a back as a marquee player that takes £150k out of that, maximum, leaving £73k.

Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part that they are looking at a back who can command that sort of money but it would explain the £73k figure which looks like a very precise amount.
Makes sense. We only have Bateman as marquee for next year so far.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I don't suppose the money available will include Zac's salary.
With him now living in Pontefract and commuting to Wigan I can't see that lasting long term. He will see the season out with us but it seems highly probable he'll be playing for someone else next year. Pity really as he's a good quality player who likes it at Wigan.

Should he leave then his salary will be available for a quality recruit.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:26 pm I don't suppose the money available will include Zac's salary.
With him now living in Pontefract and commuting to Wigan I can't see that lasting long term. He will see the season out with us but it seems highly probable he'll be playing for someone else next year. Pity really as he's a good quality player who likes it at Wigan.

The £73k remaining does not include Hardaker's salary as he hasn't left.

The Fans forum notes gives an update on the situation. What annoyed me though is the quote of "Zak having to move to Yorkshire because he had to move out of his rental property."

That isn't true, he didn't have to move back, he chose to.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:05 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:26 pm I don't suppose the money available will include Zac's salary.

The £73k remaining does not include Hardaker's salary as he hasn't left.

The Fans forum notes gives an update on the situation. What annoyed me though is the quote of "Zak having to move to Yorkshire because he had to move out of his rental property."

That isn't true, he didn't have to move back, he chose to.
Not sure headbutting his landlord's brother helped the situation....
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Mike wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:57 pm Regarding the 73K, I imagine they have an estimated budget for a half (which try are obviously not going to reveal) and what's left is 73k. If the estimate is out then so will the value of what's left.
My guess is that they have budgeted what Tommy is on for the half backs wage. They stated there were discussions about whether or not he should go around again.
If we don’t recruit, then Tommy remains on contract and we have £73k remaining. If we find a half back then Tommy comes off the playing roster and we use his wage.
We may have to dig into the £73k though if we get any dispensations on Tommy’s wage or find someone cheaper and have a bit more left over.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS