Recruitment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Recruitment

Post by nathan_rugby »

Shaun1967 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:48 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:57 pm Regarding the 73K, I imagine they have an estimated budget for a half (which try are obviously not going to reveal) and what's left is 73k. If the estimate is out then so will the value of what's left.
My guess is that they have budgeted what Tommy is on for the half backs wage. They stated there were discussions about whether or not he should go around again.
If we don’t recruit, then Tommy remains on contract and we have £73k remaining. If we find a half back then Tommy comes off the playing roster and we use his wage.
We may have to dig into the £73k though if we get any dispensations on Tommy’s wage or find someone cheaper and have a bit more left over.
That would assume Hastings salary has been taken up already?

If that is true then I just cannot see how we are losing Hastings, Bullock, Clubb, Gildart, Manfredi, G Burgess off the cap, replacing them with Mago, Ellis, Thornley & Miski and we only have £73k remaining. There is obvious upgrades to contracts / players getting more in their 2nd or 3rd year etc, but really up to the cap with our 2022 squad confirmations so far?

I hope they are assuming Tommy is going round again and if he doesn't that will free up more money.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:55 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:57 pm Regarding the 73K, I imagine they have an estimated budget for a half (which try are obviously not going to reveal) and what's left is 73k. If the estimate is out then so will the value of what's left.
My guess is that they have budgeted what Tommy is on for the half backs wage. They stated there were discussions about whether or not he should go around again.
If we don’t recruit, then Tommy remains on contract and we have £73k remaining. If we find a half back then Tommy comes off the playing roster and we use his wage.
We may have to dig into the £73k though if we get any dispensations on Tommy’s wage or find someone cheaper and have a bit more left over.

If that is true then I just cannot see how we are losing Hastings, Bullock, Clubb, Gildart, Manfredi, G Burgess off the cap, replacing them with Mago, Ellis, Thornley & Miski and we only have £73k remaining. There is obvious upgrades to contracts / players getting more in their 2nd or 3rd year etc, but really up to the cap with our 2022 squad confirmations so far?

I hope they are assuming Tommy is going round again and if he doesn't that will free up more money.
I've done a bit of digging and this is my understanding

£73k left on the salary cap (not including a marquee slot)

so there's £223k technically at least.... (depending on level of dispensation available for said player)

Mitch Clark & Tommy's current wage is accounted for.

Clark is leaving, so that raises the £223k, Tommy retires, it further raises the £223k. That is assuming the Marquee player counts as £150k, if they count as less then it would raise the cap space again.

the assumption is that a Halfback will be signed, and we will not need to use the 2nd Marquee slot to stay under the cap.

So Rads saying we will spend up to the cap is slightly confusing. unless, there are plans to recruit more than 1 player from now till the start of next season.... possibly even a Marquee player. (I genuinely don't know if there is, I only know of us chasing 1 player at the moment, which we all do - Miller)
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:55 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:55 pm

so there's £223k technically at least.... (depending on level of dispensation available for said player)

Mitch Clark & Tommy's current wage is accounted for.

Clark is leaving, so that raises the £223k, Tommy retires, it further raises the £223k. That is assuming the Marquee player counts as £150k, if they count as less then it would raise the cap space again.

the assumption is that a Halfback will be signed, and we will not need to use the 2nd Marquee slot to stay under the cap.

So Rads saying we will spend up to the cap is slightly confusing. unless, there are plans to recruit more than 1 player from now till the start of next season.... possibly even a Marquee player. (I genuinely don't know if there is, I only know of us chasing 1 player at the moment, which we all do - Miller)
That was my take on it Dan. Wigan will move Clark on so we could sign another prop. If Tommy retires, and it is for the club to decide not Tommy, then as you say we have another chunk of cash available and just as important an overseas slot.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

That is what I thought
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:55 pmSo Rads saying we will spend up to the cap is slightly confusing. unless, there are plans to recruit more than 1 player from now till the start of next season.... possibly even a Marquee player. (I genuinely don't know if there is, I only know of us chasing 1 player at the moment, which we all do - Miller)
They aren't going to pay Miller £150k are they? :shock:
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:18 pm

That is what I thought
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:55 pmSo Rads saying we will spend up to the cap is slightly confusing. unless, there are plans to recruit more than 1 player from now till the start of next season.... possibly even a Marquee player. (I genuinely don't know if there is, I only know of us chasing 1 player at the moment, which we all do - Miller)
They aren't going to pay Miller £150k are they? :shock:
No Mate hahaha, he'll fit in under the cap If/when it gets done.

Id assume Bevan or Zak would move to Marquee, If we were signing more than 1 player that is. We already get a hell of a lot of dispensation off most of the young lads, so their wage rises doesn't effect too much. If we are just signing the one player we wont need to claim for a 2nd Marquee.

But I can see us making a further Big signing (for 2022) to be honest. the money is there and no doubt someone will become available, they need to do more than let Lam go to get the majority of fans back on side.

I am starting to doubt they will leave it till 2023 to really crank the overhaul into gear, could be a busy few months.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:25 pmBut I can see us making a further Big signing (for 2022) to be honest. the money is there and no doubt someone will become available, they need to do more than let Lam go to get the majority of fans back on side.

I am starting to doubt they will leave it till 2023 to really crank the overhaul into gear, could be a busy few months.
Hope you are right. I think there was a genuine buzz generated when the club signed G Burgess. It was very disappointing to read IL in the fans forum minutes seems genuinely pleased to have signed Thornley and Miski. Such signings do the opposite of creating that buzz and do nothing in my opinion to encourage people to invest in a season ticket. If IL wants bums on seats another big signing would help.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:40 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:25 pmBut I can see us making a further Big signing (for 2022) to be honest. the money is there and no doubt someone will become available, they need to do more than let Lam go to get the majority of fans back on side.

Hope you are right. I think there was a genuine buzz generated when the club signed G Burgess. It was very disappointing to read IL in the fans forum minutes seems genuinely pleased to have signed Thornley and Miski. Such signings do the opposite of creating that buzz and do nothing in my opinion to encourage people to invest in a season ticket. If IL wants bums on seats another big signing would help.
I agree to a certain extent, but I think Miski may shock a lot of people, so can understand why he may be excited with that one, Thornley not so much, I think he's a cheap stop gap until Gildart wants to come back. He'll probably go to Wire as well mind :roll: :lol:

Id love a top class half to be signed, I rate Miller but we should of been all out for Sezer in my opinion. I just have a feeling we will do something big. Thats just a feeling though, im not trying to hint or give things away without saying it, I genuinely have no clue on plans for 2022 RE big names, the last I heard was the enquiry about Flanagan that seems to of died quickly. Luke Thompson was always the big aim for 2023 but that seems a very hard deal to do, Obviously
Lumbernator

Post by Lumbernator »

Would love us to sign Kyle Flanagan, and amazingly he can kick conversions. All this talk of signings this also needs addressing as currently are players couldn't hit there boxers with a fart.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:40 pm

I agree to a certain extent, but I think Miski may shock a lot of people, so can understand why he may be excited with that one, Thornley not so much, I think he's a cheap stop gap until Gildart wants to come back. He'll probably go to Wire as well mind :roll: :lol:

Id love a top class half to be signed, I rate Miller but we should of been all out for Sezer in my opinion. I just have a feeling we will do something big. Thats just a feeling though, im not trying to hint or give things away without saying it, I genuinely have no clue on plans for 2022 RE big names, the last I heard was the enquiry about Flanagan that seems to of died quickly. Luke Thompson was always the big aim for 2023 but that seems a very hard deal to do, Obviously
Not seen anything to suggest either player is good enough. Thornley was rubbish in the magic game v HKR and wasn’t Miski given a torrid time when London played Toulouse?

Pay peanuts, get monkey’s. Though it wouldn’t surprise me if the club weren’t paying peanuts but the “market rate”. :roll: