DW Stadium

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

DW Stadium

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I think IFL and Rads comments show that there are issues with the new owners. Some posters have suggested that the arrangement with the previous owners is still enforceable, it is clearly not. I await their comments on the recent comments made by the Club, you know who you are!
Mike
Site Admin

Re: DW Stadium

Post by Mike »

Sounds like if we could afford it we'd leave but we can't. The comments about not wishing another insolvency on Latics read like we do wish another insolvency on them, which I think is fine. They've taken the attitude of screw the RL team, so why shouldn't we take the same attitude if they get into trouble again. Seems to me that IL plays a bit too fair sometimes, in this and in the aussie player issues.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Our hands are clearly tied as we just rent the stadium and have no real alternative.

Let’s face it, building another stadium would take years and may not be financially viable & we cannot just move to Bolton.

I don’t understand how the current agreement isn’t enforceable. That being said it could just be one simple line in the contract that very clever lawyers are using against us.

Looks like we are getting it from all angles though.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:08 am Our hands are clearly tied as we just rent the stadium and have no real alternative.

Let’s face it, building another stadium would take years and may not be financially viable & we cannot just move to Bolton.

I don’t understand how the current agreement isn’t enforceable. That being said it could just be one simple line in the contract that very clever lawyers are using against us.

Looks like we are getting it from all angles though.
I heard weeks ago that they approached us
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I know we could move to Bolton but I’m saying we can’t from the perspective of us being Wigan Warriors not Bolton Warriors.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:21 am I know we could move to Bolton but I’m saying we can’t from the perspective of us being Wigan Warriors not Bolton Warriors.
The Reebok (or whatever its called these days) is as close to Wigan as it is to Bolton
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

AndyNick wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:30 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:21 am I know we could move to Bolton but I’m saying we can’t from the perspective of us being Wigan Warriors not Bolton Warriors.
The Reebok (or whatever its called these days) is as close to Wigan as it is to Bolton
To Wigan town centre it absolutely isn’t.

To places like Standish, Blackrod, Horwich & Chorley it is but not to places like Ashton, Golborne, Orrell.

It would be a hard sell from the club. It would have to be very in our favour and beneficial.

How are the transport links to get there?

You can generally get to Wigan with 1 bus from a huge perimeter of the surrounding area & also via train with the two stations.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Train station and busses straight to the stadium, better links than the DW, I live in atherton so a wigan satellite town, the macron is far easier to get to than the DW
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Personally I think it's a bit too far out of "Wigan".

Worst thing we ever did was sell Central Park without owning the ground we would be playing on.

Maybe I was dreaming but I thought there was a clause that said Wigan RL could play at the DW for X years?

50 years maybe? Thought this was stipulated by the council as part of the planning permission.

If this were true then there must have been an associated "rent increase" clause, since clearly if the rent was raised to £100m/year then the RL club would have to move out.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I do get the feeling the football club want the rugby club gone time will tell of course and for me it’s fine if,at the end of the day the Macron was the place the club ended up,better a place perhaps the club is wanted than sitting tenants the football club want rid of?