DW Stadium

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: DW Stadium

Post by nathan_rugby »

What benefits will Wigan athletic get by being sole occupants of the stadium?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Especially playing in League 1. No interest in moving to Bolton, how will this impact fans attending?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:35 am Especially playing in League 1. No interest in moving to Bolton, how will this impact fans attending?
Let’s be brutally honest here it seem staying at the DW is impacting the crowd numbers?
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Mike wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:19 am Sounds like if we could afford it we'd leave but we can't.
Appears as though changes are on their way though regarding all-seater stadiums
Football fans in England are set to be allowed to stand at games before the end of the current season, in a reversal of the 30-year rule requiring all-seater stadiums.

Many clubs in the Premier League - including Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United - have recently installed "safe standing" areas, with rail seating, ahead of an anticipated law change.

It has been reported that an official government announcement on plans to lift the ban on standing at Premier League and Championship games could come as soon as next month.

And, according to the BBC, some grounds will be able to use designated safe standing areas before the end of this season.
https://news.sky.com/story/safe-standin ... n-12394209
Back by demand.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

pedro wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:03 am Train station and busses straight to the stadium, better links than the DW, I live in atherton so a wigan satellite town, the macron is far easier to get to than the DW
I agree with you pedro

The DW was built in the "wrong" part of town with appalling transport infrastructure (its biggest downfall) and on marshland that sees the pitch being relayed annually because you couldn't grow weeds there

However it is looked at, unless it is dead-centre of town (as Central Park was), then someone is always going to find it difficult making the transition from one side of Wigan to the other until a ring road is created or we have the millionth saddle junction refurb/upgrade/tinker.
Back by demand.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:03 am Train station and busses straight to the stadium, better links than the DW, I live in atherton so a wigan satellite town, the macron is far easier to get to than the DW
Really? I live in atherton and only a bus that isn't very regular goes macron, the train doesnt

DW is just a train or regular bus away, get off at grand Central get a pint walk through the industrial estate with peer aquatics on it and your at the DW.

Although driving wise Macron is much easier and has better space.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:39 pm
Really? I live in atherton and only a bus that isn't very regular goes macron, the train doesnt

DW is just a train or regular bus away, get off at grand Central get a pint walk through the industrial estate with peer aquatics on it and your at the DW.

Although driving wise Macron is much easier and has better space.
I was on about in general to get there, what bus can you get to the DW?
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I've never been to The Reebok and I live outside Wigan.

What's the advantage of moving to a slightly larger stadium outside of Wigan?
pedro

Post by pedro »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:57 pm I've never been to The Reebok and I live outside Wigan.

What's the advantage of moving to a slightly larger stadium outside of Wigan?
it might be affordable?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:33 pm
I agree with you pedro

The DW was built in the "wrong" part of town with appalling transport infrastructure (its biggest downfall) and on marshland that sees the pitch being relayed annually because you couldn't grow weeds there

However it is looked at, unless it is dead-centre of town (as Central Park was), then someone is always going to find it difficult making the transition from one side of Wigan to the other until a ring road is created or we have the millionth saddle junction refurb/upgrade/tinker.
Anfield and Old Trafford don’t struggle, either are in the centre of Liverpool or Manchester.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."