RL as a spectator sport

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: RL as a spectator sport

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:What makes a game (in any sport) interesting?

I'd say number one is that you're interested! Sounds obvious, but if you live in Limerick, chances are you'd be interested in Gaelic football.

What creates your interest, and makes you go to a match? For many (EW apart!), it's being brought up with a sport: parents, school-mates, folk at work,talking about it during the week...the build-up which is manufactured for a boxing match, but natural in community sports like ours

Then what maintains it at the game? The play, sure, but also the crowd, the atmosphere. This is where football wins, and RL is in decline, especially at Wigan.

I'm convinced that the apparent downward spiral in attendances is a result of, rather than a cause of, the fans' attitude (a generalisation - not all fans, but enough.)

The result is lack of atmosphere, sitting in a half-dead (as opposed to half-empty) stadium next to someone who complains endlessly about players, coach, ref, rule-makers, and throw in the cost of pies or pints or whatever. I've been there and bought the t-shirt.

Does it make you desperate to come back? Personally I prefer away matches, which are more convenient for me anyway, and the complaints of, for example, Cas fans, I see more as of part of entertainment as it's loudest when we're winning!

Analysing what's wrong with the game as though it exists in isolation from the fans, and we don't play a part in raising and lowering the entertainment value, is missing maybe the most crucial part of the picture...imo.
What’s missing from this is any mention of the on field performance of the team.

We have put up with some down right boring RL not for a few matches but for literally years.

The fact the crowds have been the size they have given the rubbish served up is what’s surprising.

We don’t even have to be winning. The best atmosphere I have ever experienced at the DW was in 2006, the relegation fight.

A close second but when things were going well was the two years Madge was here. It was a joy to watch after Noble’s team had been as dour as any recent ones. The atmosphere was far better then and in 2006 than now.

How people are supposed to generate an atmosphere after every attack in the 20m zone fails and the team looks clueless I have no idea.

When there is something to cheer the crowd does. They are desperate for something to support so if a bit of individual play such as Marshal going the length of the field happens everyone is on their feet.

The trouble is that is few and far between. As to moaners they have always been there. Some bloke who used to sit near me never shut up about how bad Andy Farrell was. So what? There is probably some fan at Man City who thinks Kevin De Bruyne is rubbish.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Dave, my post was an attempt to balance 34 previous posts (including one of mine and one of yours) which had focused solely on what goes on on the pitch rather than in the stands.

I think my last paragraph made this clear. For you to say I've missed any reference to the "on field performance" misses the point altogether. That was exactly what had been covered in all the previous posts and I was pointing out that the speccies play a big part too.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The on field performance is somewhat independent of what we're talking about here Dave. Its possible to generate a more exciting atmosphere with any level of on field performance - the team helps a lot, but you can do things outside of that. Maybe you won't convince the old stick in the muds who go grudgingly only out of habit until the team is good again when they go slightly less grudgingly, but for the new generation of fans atmosphere and buzz is what gets them to come back to the next game and you can generate that much better than especially a Wigan home crowd typically does. Crowds went up in the season we almost went down - its a one-off I know, but there was a shared reason for people to be there, win or lose and it generated its own camaraderie and atmosphere. A focus for the Wigan club IMO should be to improve the atmosphere at matches by encouraging supporter groups and letting them build their identities and do their own things to encourage participation from other fans. The best atmosphere I've experienced at a sporting event in the last 3 or 4 years was the bottom of the league MLS fixture I went to - it is possible. Obviously improve the team's performances too!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

Mike wrote:The on field performance is somewhat independent of what we're talking about here Dave. Its possible to generate a more exciting atmosphere with any level of on field performance - the team helps a lot, but you can do things outside of that. Maybe you won't convince the old stick in the muds who go grudgingly only out of habit until the team is good again when they go slightly less grudgingly, but for the new generation of fans atmosphere and buzz is what gets them to come back to the next game and you can generate that much better than especially a Wigan home crowd typically does. Crowds went up in the season we almost went down - its a one-off I know, but there was a shared reason for people to be there, win or lose and it generated its own camaraderie and atmosphere. A focus for the Wigan club IMO should be to improve the atmosphere at matches by encouraging supporter groups and letting them build their identities and do their own things to encourage participation from other fans. The best atmosphere I've experienced at a sporting event in the last 3 or 4 years was the bottom of the league MLS fixture I went to - it is possible. Obviously improve the team's performances too!
Totally agree. It was awful to watch the team nearly relegated, but the atmosphere was second to none that season.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:The on field performance is somewhat independent of what we're talking about here Dave. Its possible to generate a more exciting atmosphere with any level of on field performance - the team helps a lot, but you can do things outside of that. Maybe you won't convince the old stick in the muds who go grudgingly only out of habit until the team is good again when they go slightly less grudgingly, but for the new generation of fans atmosphere and buzz is what gets them to come back to the next game and you can generate that much better than especially a Wigan home crowd typically does. Crowds went up in the season we almost went down - its a one-off I know, but there was a shared reason for people to be there, win or lose and it generated its own camaraderie and atmosphere. A focus for the Wigan club IMO should be to improve the atmosphere at matches by encouraging supporter groups and letting them build their identities and do their own things to encourage participation from other fans. The best atmosphere I've experienced at a sporting event in the last 3 or 4 years was the bottom of the league MLS fixture I went to - it is possible. Obviously improve the team's performances too!
Well the yanks always have been a bit weird when it comes to sport. I have been to baseball games in the US and at the Giants in New York watched the groundsmen rake the pitch in between innings doing a routine to the village people YMCA song. I
A bit different to a few blokes with forks putting divots back at half time at the DW.

I am not sure why the MLS game was so good for atmosphere but in sports like baseball, basketball and ice hockey where in the latter they play music and you have cheerleaders in numerous sports it’s a completely different culture. In the U.K. I have always thought the focus is on the actual game.

So when people talk of organising drumming or whatever it sounds artificial. The club does try and get the fans interested by doing things pre match at Robin Park and so on but many people turn up for the 80 minutes and nothing else.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Love the “divots” comment Dave,made me chuckle that
PJC

Post by PJC »

I have to admire Josie’s enthusiasm and optimism. I have never once doubted the full bloodied commitment of today’s players. It has become a gladiatorial contest. However I will say again that there is little free flowing rugby. The game is a product of successful modern training methods. There is no easy answer.
I am concerned about the future of the game. I would be quiet happy with a strong league mainly in the north but one which maintained the inter town rivalry that used to exist. This was all part of the game for me.
There is a massive threat from the money that is being pumped into RU.
I have just passed Exeter RU ground and millions are being spent redeveloping the ground. It won’t be the only one.
The proposed RU super 12s will inevitably cream off some RL players.
Publicity helps. The BBC has decided to champion Women’s RU. It has come from nowhere. RL has never had such coverage.
Whatever the arguments I think the game needs to become more attractive.