RL as a spectator sport

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
PJC

RL as a spectator sport

Post by PJC »

I have watched Wigan for about 58 years. From being a teenager I have probably averaged 75% of games in a season. I have seen play that has been poor and also excellent. I am a rugby league supporter and want the game to thrive. I want Wigan to thrive and It cannot do without a strong game.
The skill levels of today’s players have increased beyond all recognition.
The speed with which the ball is passed is incredible at times, defence is much more part of the game and players are more aware of of tactics. This has been achieved with a lot of hard work and planning.
However I believe that today’s game is a poorer spectator sport. You rarely see length of the field tries. Most tries are scored within 10 to 15 metres of the try line. It often involves a cross field kick to the winger as defence is so much on top. If you watch the Super League Show most tries by different teams are scored in the same way.
The Wigan teams of the later 80s/early 90s were exceptional and there were different circumstances. However they played attractive rugby that people enjoyed watching. Andy Gregory is one of the best players I have seen. I could be wrong but his fitness would have to be improved for today’s game.
However as an entertainer with a rugby brain he’s hard to beat. There are few players with a slow deft pass. I can’t remember the last time I heard “a ball playing forward.”
The RL administration seems to think that the quicker the game the better it is. This is not true. A game needs to ebb and flow.
If RL is to survive the game needs to become more free flowing and less driven by data .....metres gained, tackle counts etc. It needs to have expansive three quarter play.
As I once heard Bill Ashurst say “We were told to express ourselves “.
Any comments ?
mickali1

Re: RL as a spectator sport

Post by mickali1 »

PJC wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:57 pm I have watched Wigan for about 58 years. From being a teenager I have probably averaged 75% of games in a season. I have seen play that has been poor and also excellent. I am a rugby league supporter and want the game to thrive. I want Wigan to thrive and It cannot do without a strong game.
The skill levels of today’s players have increased beyond all recognition.
The speed with which the ball is passed is incredible at times, defence is much more part of the game and players are more aware of of tactics. This has been achieved with a lot of hard work and planning.
However I believe that today’s game is a poorer spectator sport. You rarely see length of the field tries. Most tries are scored within 10 to 15 metres of the try line. It often involves a cross field kick to the winger as defence is so much on top. If you watch the Super League Show most tries by different teams are scored in the same way.
The Wigan teams of the later 80s/early 90s were exceptional and there were different circumstances. However they played attractive rugby that people enjoyed watching. Andy Gregory is one of the best players I have seen. I could be wrong but his fitness would have to be improved for today’s game.
However as an entertainer with a rugby brain he’s hard to beat. There are few players with a slow deft pass. I can’t remember the last time I heard “a ball playing forward.”
The RL administration seems to think that the quicker the game the better it is. This is not true. A game needs to ebb and flow.
If RL is to survive the game needs to become more free flowing and less driven by data .....metres gained, tackle counts etc. It needs to have expansive three quarter play.
As I once heard Bill Ashurst say “We were told to express ourselves “.
Any comments ?
I agree 100%. Todays game is a far less exciting spectacle than the 80/90s game. The total lack of characters within the game has also had a detrimental effect in my opinion.
endoman

Post by endoman »

another one in agreement. Teams just know too much about each other and players are so much fitter in general hence defence rules. I don't know the answer, there are simply no RL household names any more. I couldn't even tell you who the GB/ England captain currently is. Or if it's GB or England....
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Ultimately you cannot stop the progress in fitness and physicality.

What you CAN do is alter the rules to make it less of an issue.

e.g. Limit substitutions to 2 players. Once a player goes off that's it.

Would make it more of a spectacle imo.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:48 pm Ultimately you cannot stop the progress in fitness and physicality.

What you CAN do is alter the rules to make it less of an issue.

e.g. Limit substitutions to 2 players. Once a player goes off that's it.

Would make it more of a spectacle imo.
That’s a good point about the substitutions far to many allowing as we know short bursts it has killed the skill of the game it’s sterile now but you could argue that point across every sport to be fair
PJC

Post by PJC »

I would agree with Wintergreen saying you cannot stop progress. You cannot make players less fit. I do not blame the coaches . If they didn’t adapt they would lose. It has been due to the way the game and sport as a whole has evolved.
It is a complex problem. However I would love to see a stand off breaking straight from a scrum......that means however...
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

There are to many substitutions allowed in my opinion, gaps open as players tire and its not like they play to many games these days.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

endoman wrote:another one in agreement. Teams just know too much about each other and players are so much fitter in general hence defence rules. I don't know the answer, there are simply no RL household names any more. I couldn't even tell you who the GB/ England captain currently is. Or if it's GB or England....
The lack of household names is a lot to do with the fact players can’t make money from advertising and endorsements without it counting on the salary cap. When Paul Scunthorpe was GB captain he was also the Face of Gillette.

I still can’t believe this rule is in place. Mind you even if it wasn’t I am not sure there would be a queue forming for RL players to advertise stuff. The sport has fallen off the radar compared to how it was back then.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I agree with the original post and think its the root of all the game's current problems. We need to increase fatigue to create more opportunities and weaken defences to give opportunites for more breaks. IMO we either reduce substitutions, or reduce the players on the field. The players are bigger, stronger and fitter than ever before and because of that there is less space to exploit. I'd reduce to 11, at least do an experiment with that format. Maybe create a cricket "the hundred" stye comp with 11-a-side alongside the SL to see what that format can deliver?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

OK, I'm going to be the annoying guy who says, the NRL (by and large), produces exciting, attractive rugby league, so why can't SL do the same? Well sometimes it can, although not often enough. But having said that, I also fear that the ceaseless plan to speed up the game by whatever means, we risk pushing the injury levels of what is already the most demanding sport too far.