RL as a spectator sport

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: RL as a spectator sport

Post by jaws1 »

Mike wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:04 pm I agree with the original post and think its the root of all the game's current problems. We need to increase fatigue to create more opportunities and weaken defences to give opportunites for more breaks. IMO we either reduce substitutions, or reduce the players on the field. The players are bigger, stronger and fitter than ever before and because of that there is less space to exploit. I'd reduce to 11, at least do an experiment with that format. Maybe create a cricket "the hundred" stye comp with 11-a-side alongside the SL to see what that format can deliver?
Brilliant idea Mike instead of the loop fixtures we could have an 11s competition running alongside SL comp .Playing the same clubs 4 times a year goes stale in the 13 a side format but the 11s comp would be a lot more interesting especially if they dont run reserve games two different leagues side by side .If what is true they are going to 10 teams then the 11 a side league could generate a lot more interest that cricket did.If rumour has to go down to 10 teams then play home and away once and compliment it with the 11 a side 10 teams home and away.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Bucking the trend here I’m not sure the substitutions fixes the issue

I think of the issue of the increasing fitness of the players basically turning all the players into 2nd rowers so I think if you lessen substitutions surely that will just again make the players fitter and reduce the intensity even more

Remember the excitement players like feka could cause because 10mins was all you needed from them - I would imagine by reducing subs you just make that difference even less

I like mikes solution of 11 players if you want to remain on the athleticism side of things but again we can’t do anything like that without the other leagues and other countries following

But thinking hypothetically my two suggestions for out there solutions

1) you could have weight classes for positions so a winger could weigh max of 80kg for example to promote diversity of build

Alternatively

2) you could instead of doing away with substitutions change the format so more like Union so maybe 6 subs but once you’re off you’re off
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
PJC

Post by PJC »

Some contributors have talked about the lack of personalities in the game. I have just watched a 40 minute interview with Billy Boston on SKY. If anyone is interested it is on the Rugby League section . Talks about past players.
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

PJC wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:03 pm Some contributors have talked about the lack of personalities in the game. I have just watched a 40 minute interview with Billy Boston on SKY. If anyone is interested it is on the Rugby League section . Talks about past players.
Cheers for that, I will check it out :)
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

moto748 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:25 am OK, I'm going to be the annoying guy who says, the NRL (by and large), produces exciting, attractive rugby league, so why can't SL do the same? Well sometimes it can, although not often enough. But having said that, I also fear that the ceaseless plan to speed up the game by whatever means, we risk pushing the injury levels of what is already the most demanding sport too far.
Not watched recently, but always seemed really dull high percentage bash a thon rugby to me.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

11 a side would have the extra advantage of reducing costs as reduced income from Sky kicks in.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Mike wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:39 pm
moto748 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:25 am OK, I'm going to be the annoying guy who says, the NRL (by and large), produces exciting, attractive rugby league, so why can't SL do the same? Well sometimes it can, although not often enough. But having said that, I also fear that the ceaseless plan to speed up the game by whatever means, we risk pushing the injury levels of what is already the most demanding sport too far.
Not watched recently, but always seemed really dull high percentage bash a thon rugby to me.
+1
And a lot more spoiling at the ptb as well, teams cannot get away with that here.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Mike wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:04 pm I agree with the original post and think its the root of all the game's current problems. We need to increase fatigue to create more opportunities and weaken defences to give opportunites for more breaks. IMO we either reduce substitutions, or reduce the players on the field. The players are bigger, stronger and fitter than ever before and because of that there is less space to exploit. I'd reduce to 11, at least do an experiment with that format. Maybe create a cricket "the hundred" stye comp with 11-a-side alongside the SL to see what that format can deliver?
And/or increase the points given for a try scored from within your own half. May increase the number of long range tries.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I personally don’t think there is too much wrong with the rules.

I think the RFL just need to stop tinkering each year. It feels like we’ve had more changes in the last few years than the previous 20.

Rules like the 20/40 should go, all this malarkey about choosing where to restart the game should go.

Most of all we need to stop the refs from getting on their power trips and ruining the game.

Sadly the game is getting more and more sanitised. More things are getting punished which we are not used.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:11 am I personally don’t think there is too much wrong with the rules.

I think the RFL just need to stop tinkering each year. It feels like we’ve had more changes in the last few years than the previous 20.

Rules like the 20/40 should go, all this malarkey about choosing where to restart the game should go.

Most of all we need to stop the refs from getting on their power trips and ruining the game.

Sadly the game is getting more and more sanitised. More things are getting punished which we are not used.
Agreed