Marquee Curse?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Marquee Curse?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I cant remember who wigan have had as their "Marquee" signings but from memory its

Tomkins
Burgess
Hastings
Bateman

Not sure we had anymore who actually took that mantle - Hastings aside all of those signings have been met with excitement only for the players to be pretty crap and from what i can see (again hastings aside) all signed with significant injury question marks

We dont seem to be able to get that element correct
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Re: Marquee Curse?

Post by Caboosegg »

Wasn't Williams Marquee?
Also I'm sure they said Hastings wasn't?
Last edited by Caboosegg on Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wasn’t Williams a marquee man as well?

But no it is an area Wigan do seem to struggle to get 100% right to be honest
Wigan_forever1985

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:18 pm Wasn't Williams Marquee?
Also I'm sure they said Hastings wasn't?
I thought it was the other way around but maybe youre right

one thing is for certain NRL Marquee purchases have 100% failure rate atm
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
God2

Post by God2 »

Williams was a marquee 100%

Hastings isn’t.

We will run with only one marquee next season with Bateman.

We have struggled massively in this department, Bateman and all his drama has been bang average this season, we were much better last season without him.

On another note Bateman wasn’t exactly brilliant with the fans at Newcastle, a lad said he waited until last to come out and got the driver of the bus to park at an angle to avoid fans, lad still manage to get his autograph tho. Said he was the worst one out of all the players.
Wigan_forever1985

i should add on this actually think that most clubs who have invoked the Marquee haven't had a great success with it, seems like its a premise that isn't conducive of success barring the odd exception.

I think my big criticism of Wigan's appointments is every NRL signing (Tomkins, Burgess, Bateman) has been injured big prior to or on arrival
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Tomkins is probably in contention for Man of Steel. I have no doubt if he was still here he would have bucked the trend once over his injuries as he is now. Having him as marquee could only be considered a failure if he was crap now and he isn’t.

G Burgess. Well if you read the fans forum minutes and believe them it’s the club’s fault he ended up injured.

However it’s certainly true both were given Marquee status even though both had injuries at the time they were signed. That is not the player’s fault.

Williams was given it to try and keep him. Didn’t work so I’d not use it like that again. I’d only use it to pursue a top player the club wanted to recruit (who wasn’t injured…..).

Bateman is another ex player signed party because he was an ex player. Fair enough he was very good in the NRL but did anyone sit down and think we needed to spend marquee money on a back row forward?

The marquee rule ought to see some good players in SL and let’s not forget IL pushed for it really hard. If Wigan have chosen the wrong players to give it to it doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

It depends how you define marquee. Wigan will
nominate two players to take advantage of the salary cap.
Wigan_forever1985

DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:20 am Tomkins is probably in contention for Man of Steel. I have no doubt if he was still here he would have bucked the trend once over his injuries as he is now. Having him as marquee could only be considered a failure if he was crap now and he isn’t.

G Burgess. Well if you read the fans forum minutes and believe them it’s the club’s fault he ended up injured.

However it’s certainly true both were given Marquee status even though both had injuries at the time they were signed. That is not the player’s fault.

Williams was given it to try and keep him. Didn’t work so I’d not use it like that again. I’d only use it to pursue a top player the club wanted to recruit (who wasn’t injured…..).

Bateman is another ex player signed party because he was an ex player. Fair enough he was very good in the NRL but did anyone sit down and think we needed to spend marquee money on a back row forward?

The marquee rule ought to see some good players in SL and let’s not forget IL pushed for it really hard. If Wigan have chosen the wrong players to give it to it doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea.
I dont really understand this part - for us he was crap because he was injured the entire time he was our marquee, whether or not he has rediscovered form with Catalan is fairly irrelevant to the point as it would be if G.Burgress rips up the NRL from here on in.

Bateman again though was signed with the knowledge he had been out for a while and had numerous ops to try and fix his issues
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:20 am Tomkins is probably in contention for Man of Steel. I have no doubt if he was still here he would have bucked the trend once over his injuries as he is now. Having him as marquee could only be considered a failure if he was crap now and he isn’t.

I dont really understand this part - for us he was crap because he was injured the entire time he was our marquee, whether or not he has rediscovered form with Catalan is fairly irrelevant to the point as it would be if G.Burgress rips up the NRL from here on in.

Bateman again though was signed with the knowledge he had been out for a while and had numerous ops to try and fix his issues
My point was if the club hadn’t got rid given his form now had he still been playing for us no one could argue he was a poor example of a marquee player. In fact I doubt anyone would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk