Marquee Curse?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Marquee Curse?

Post by fozzieskem »

The Trouble with Tomkins is for me at least the injuries he kept on getting I can see the clubs side of things by not offering him (or taking up that extra year which I’d be tempted to have done)a new deal,hindsight is a wonderful thing but his form was certainly on the upward tick as he decided to leave that’s for sure.

Like I say hindsight is wonderful.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:57 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:20 am Tomkins is probably in contention for Man of Steel. I have no doubt if he was still here he would have bucked the trend once over his injuries as he is now. Having him as marquee could only be considered a failure if he was crap now and he isn’t.

G Burgess. Well if you read the fans forum minutes and believe them it’s the club’s fault he ended up injured.

However it’s certainly true both were given Marquee status even though both had injuries at the time they were signed. That is not the player’s fault.

Williams was given it to try and keep him. Didn’t work so I’d not use it like that again. I’d only use it to pursue a top player the club wanted to recruit (who wasn’t injured…..).

Bateman is another ex player signed party because he was an ex player. Fair enough he was very good in the NRL but did anyone sit down and think we needed to spend marquee money on a back row forward?

The marquee rule ought to see some good players in SL and let’s not forget IL pushed for it really hard. If Wigan have chosen the wrong players to give it to it doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea.
I dont really understand this part - for us he was crap because he was injured the entire time he was our marquee, whether or not he has rediscovered form with Catalan is fairly irrelevant to the point as it would be if G.Burgress rips up the NRL from here on in.

Bateman again though was signed with the knowledge he had been out for a while and had numerous ops to try and fix his issues
My point was if the club hadn’t got rid given his form now had he still been playing for us no one could argue he was a poor example of a marquee player. In fact I doubt anyone would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hindsight is great isn't it, however

The club didn't get rid did they, isn't it you who pointed out that catalan approached him at a point they shouldn't of which put wigan on the back foot in negotiations as at that time he was not worth the contract amount he was on.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Has any club actually signed a real marque player though, It's not like we are seeing the likes of Tedesco, Waerea-Hargreaves, Munster etc etc