The remarkable rise of Kai Pearce-Paul as told by those who know him best

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

The remarkable rise of Kai Pearce-Paul as told by those who know him best

Post by josie andrews »

The young Wigan Warriors star has enjoyed a stunning breakthrough year.

Talk to anyone in rugby league about Wigan Warriors star Kai Pearce-Paul and the soundbites are always the same.

“Very promising talent… superb athlete…. nice offloading game… how far can this lad go?”

Well, as the imposing second-rower continues his rise to prominence this season, the early signs are that he could reach the very top.

In a difficult season for the Warriors where injuries have bitten deep at times, Pearce-Paul has come increasingly to the fore.

At 6ft 5in, the Londoner is a giant of a man, albeit a fairly laconic one, off the field at least.

Signed from London Broncos on a four-year deal in 2019, Pearce-Paul is a natural athlete, blessed with impressive strength and fine ball-handling skills.

His elder brother Kameron, who plays centre for London Skolars, told Rugby League Live: “To see how well Kai has done this season has been unreal but not surprising.

“We always knew at the back of our minds that, once he got a chance, he would take it.

How good can Kai be? The best, 100 per cent, and I’ve been saying for years that he will be the next Sonny Bill Williams.

“He’s got those same long arms and offloading game, plus he’s very rugby smart as well.

“Yes, I honestly think he will go right to the very top. There is no doubt in my mind about that.”

Born in Bromley in south-east London, Pearce-Paul played his amateur rugby league at Croydon Hurricanes.

He joined London Broncos’ Academy and played against Wigan in Under-19s fixtures.

He impressed with a string of commanding performances whilst playing for the Broncos’ Under-19s side, as well as representing Lancashire in the Academy Origin series.

Melbourne Storm were said to be interested in acquiring Kai’s services before he signed for Wigan.

The Wigan rookie, who made his debut against St Helens last September, comes from a rugby family.

Eldest brother Kam, 24, used to play for the Broncos, while youngest sibling Kaden, 18, is on the books of Saracens’ youth academy.

Kam continued: “We’ve always been very sporting and all three of us played union as long as we have played league.

“We have played both codes from a young age and Kaden was in the London Broncos’ scholarship before Sarries signed him.

“Could Kai switch codes and play rugby union professionally one day?

“I’ve no doubt he could do it, but I suppose you’ve got to take things as they come.

“I think Kai is quite happy in league at the moment and he’s settled in north-west England.

“It’s a massive culture difference being up north – I lived in Oldham for six months – but the Wigan boys have really taken Kai under their wing.

“He’s also studying the University of Central Lancashire for a Sports and Exercise Science degree.

“Kai is a very easy going and likeable character and not much fazes him. He’s just a good all-round person.”

Pearce-Paul has made 38 offloads in Super League this season – a statistic only bettered by Wakefield Trinity prop David Fifita.

He has also made 527 tackles and the next step is to firmly establish himself in Wigan’s starting line-up, according to his elder brother.

Kam added: “I think every time he’s been on the pitch he’s proved why he should be a starting player.

He’s a fantastic second-rower but he’d make a great centre too.

“I’m 6ft 3in, Kai is 6ft 5in and Kaden is 6ft 7in, so I’m the small one now!

“As brothers, we’re so tight-knit. We’re like best mates.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... l-21501131
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan